Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Effectiveness of artificial Breeze for frost protection

<< < (2/11) > >>

Galatians522:
Sounds like you had a much better plan than I did. Of course, my excuse is that I was only 16 at the time.

Ice is very safe and effective for some tropicals (obviously not going to work for Soursop and other ultra tropicalss). When we have all our pumps running, the temperature of the property can rise 3 degrees in 30 minutes even away from where the water is being applied. It does have some limitations and reqires an initial investment, but irrigation in the dry season and a good nights sleep in the winter are well worth it in my opinion.

C24mccain:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on February 06, 2021, 10:10:52 PM ---Sounds like you had a much better plan than I did. Of course, my excuse is that I was only 16 at the time.

Ice is very safe and effective for some tropicals (obviously not going to work for Soursop and other ultra tropicalss). When we have all our pumps running, the temperature of the property can rise 3 degrees in 30 minutes even away from where the water is being applied. It does have some limitations and reqires an initial investment, but irrigation in the dry season and a good nights sleep in the winter are well worth it in my opinion.

--- End quote ---

I have pondered an overhead irrigation system for protection but haven't really looked into it other than the one shower I created over a jackfruit tree. I wonder if I could create something with a water pump I put in my pond and  use to irrigate my trees? It puts out 3000 gallons an hour which I assume is way more than I would need. I'm going to do some investigating on this as it may be something I could setup for next year.

Jagmanjoe:

--- Quote from: C24mccain on February 06, 2021, 10:20:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Galatians522 on February 06, 2021, 10:10:52 PM ---Sounds like you had a much better plan than I did. Of course, my excuse is that I was only 16 at the time.

--- End quote ---

I have pondered an overhead irrigation system for protection but haven't really looked into it other than the one shower I created over a jackfruit tree. I wonder if I could create something with a water pump I put in my pond and  use to irrigate my trees? It puts out 3000 gallons an hour which I assume is way more than I would need. I'm going to do some investigating on this as it may be something I could setup for next year.

--- End quote ---

While the idea you have using pond water may have merit on the surface, mccain be sure to think it through.  Is the pond water treated, even around the shoreline for vegetation or anything else?  What is the source of that pond water and could anything be leaching into it that might prove harmful to your trees in the long run?

I am sure you are probably already considering these potential factors but for any that are just starting to read it with a light bulb coming on, think it through all the way.  While we have a pond that we share with a neighbor, I would feel safer setting up a system with efficient spray heads above  the trees and using my well water with a stable temperature as opposed to stratified varying temperatures from a pond.

While we do have several nurseries around here that have ponds they use for their plants, I believe they would draw considerably more water and are probably more regulated like strawberry fields by government agencies relative to pumping well water from our aquifer.

Just my initial thoughts

C24mccain:
Our pond is just on our fenced in property. I don't use any chemicals to get in it. In fact I water my fruit trees with during the dry season from February to May. However the temperature of the pond water maybe colder than well water that time of year so I'd have to see how that might effect the situation. There is also a potential issue of clogging from dirty water which would be real bad. I might be able to use our well water. I'll have to see if it puts out enough gph. It's probably something like 300 gallons per hour but I would probably only setup overhead irrigation for the mangoes. The tougher trees Im not as worried about although you never know when we will get hit by a 25* night or lower. Things to ponder.

bovine421:

--- Quote from: C24mccain on February 06, 2021, 09:54:09 PM ---I've pondered the use of a fan as well. In my case my mangoes have gotten to big to cover. The big freezes we had a few years ago I used burn barrels to save them but now they are even bigger. I have pondered using a fan to direct hot air from a burn barrel into the tree because most of the heat is lost going straight up. I assume a properly placed fan could blow the heat into the tree and protect the higher areas. I haven't quite figured out how I would do it but I may experiment with it someday. I would probably only do it if temps were going to be under 29 for 3-4 hours or more. Using burn barrels is a good amount of work and you could be up most of not all night but I think it's worth it on the rare once or twice severe cold event we get every few years. I also have some smudge pots but I haven't had to use them yet other than tests. Need to figure out how to suspend a fan 5-7 feet off ground that will blow air over the burn barrel pushing the heat into the tree. The fan would be a few feet away from the barrel so you would have: fan, space, barrel, space, tree. Maybe the fan could go between the barrel and tree sucking the warm air into the tree? Not sure. I don't think the fan alone would be enough, a heat source is probably needed. I'll attach some videos I have from the freeze we had a few years ago as well as a test I did with a smudge pot a while back and a shower setup over my jackfruit tree. Maybe it will generate some ideas.

https://youtu.be/EJ6-mF9z73Y 2018 freeze, burn barrels

https://youtu.be/tSk72hiqufo smudge pot

https://youtu.be/cRIk16Z7970 shower

--- End quote ---
I think I may have to do something like what was in your last video the micro jet sprinkler jet shower system. That does seem to be the easiest route since I have two other mango giganticus varieties. Here is a couple other ideas I was kicking around

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version