Citrus > Citrus Buy, Sell, & Trade

WTB Kumquat seeds.

(1/3) > >>

LazarusLong714:
         Hi.    I would like to buy a few kumquat seeds.   I think I would like to specifically look for FUKUSHU, or Nagami, but I would like to be sure of what I am getting as the seedlings I have at this time are from grocery store kumquats and cannot be positively identified.

New to this CITRUS obsession.   All I have right now are generic kumquat seedlings and some generic grocery store lemon seedlings.   I would like to grow some seedlings/trees I can identify.    Let me know what you have and what you would like for them and we will see if we dan work something out.   

I am in Northern Ohio, so no problems with being in a restricted state!

Thanks for looking.

Lazarus.

caladri:
It will be cheaper and give better results to just ask for help identifying your grocery store kumquats from fruit; there are very few varieties available in grocery stores in the US outside of specialty markets, and I don't think it would be likely to be very difficult :)

LazarusLong714:
You know, that's a brilliant idea!   I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Looking at pictures of the fruits of different varieties, I suspect Nagami, but am unsure.   They averaged about 1 inch in length, possibly a little more, and definitely more egg shaped than round. The larger few could have been close to 1.5 inches in length.  They had seeds, but many were not viable.  I eventually ate two packages of them (1 pound packages, packaged by a company called "Melissa's Fruits" or something like that) and all of the seeds I expected to be viable did end up germinating and I have 25 little seedlings growing.  I posted a couple of pictures on another thread but will also include them here, if that could help identify them.

Thanks caladri, for making me take a deep breath and think.  It always comes back to your training, right?

Like I said, I suspect Nagami, but I would appreciate knowing if anyone had any other thoughts on the subject based on my description of the fruit I ate.

Of course, that doesn't change my mind about wanting to buy some FUKUSHU seeds and/of fruit, if anyone has a Fukushu that is fruiting or getting into the season for it.

D-Grower:
If you had originally bought kumquats that were oval with some sourness it was likely Nagami. Round sweet ones are likely Meiwa. I see kumquats in stores from time to time. I think due to their appearance the ones I generally see in store are likely Nagami.

LazarusLong714:
Hi D-Grower.

That has been the predominant thought.  On another thread I posted pictures of the actual fruit (I went back and bought more) and that was the answer I got based on actual pictures along with my description. 

I thank you for your response sir.     

Would you by any chance be growing FUKUSHU kumquats?

Lazarus.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version