Author Topic: Lechuza PON  (Read 1744 times)

mattcolq

• USA, PA, Philadelphia, 7b?
    • View Profile
Lechuza PON
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
I'm looking for a growing media that I don't have to replace. I only want to pot up and maybe prune the roots when necessary, not report. Has anyone used Lechuza PON  http://lechuza.us/LECHUZA-PON/PON-TERRAPON.html as their only growing media?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Lechuza PON
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »
Never used lechuza pon, but it probably would work, if you don't mind watering VERY frequently, especially during the hotter portion of the year. You would also need to really keep on top of providing enough nutrients to the tree, because the nutrients would be rapidly flushed out of the tree's root zone as each watering passes quickly out the bottom of the container.   I use Miracle Grow GARDEN Soil.  - Millet

mattcolq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Millet. It would be great if I could use Miracle Grow Garden Soil, but my trees are inside for most of the year, and since I live in a condo, I don't have anywhere to store or dispose dirt. How often do you mean by VERY frequently for watering in the summer with Lechuza PON? Every two days, every day or twice a day?

Do you know of any other inorganic plant substrates that are available in the U.S.? I'm aware of Volkasol and Volkaflor , but I believe there only available in Europe.

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 05:36:19 PM »
I enjoyed reading the link you provided because I don't think I've heard of the stuff before. It sounds interesting but when the literature talks about self watering and capillary action or words to that affect it sounds like a perched water issue and that could keep the roots too wet. Or it might be the best stuff ever. They certainly recommend it for citrus and situations like you have in a condo. Please let us know how it works out for you.

A few years ago I read about people using plain cat litter and pumice and maybe pearlite or vermiculite. I've been using Miracle Grow Garden Soil too. It seems to be a good dirt and the ingredients don't seem to decompose. If it breaks down I haven't been able to detect it.

Down here in the south it gets really hot. Today the heat index was expected to get to at least 105* F. It did.  I think the temp in the shade was 97* F. I can change shirts 3 times before noon but that's another story.

Tom
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:43:36 PM by Tom »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:41 PM »
I'm curious what actually is in this Miracle Grow Garden Soil so I checked the label at https://faa81132b7.site.internapcdn.net/CFLs/75030430_061715_CFL.pdf:

mattcolq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:21:41 AM »
Thanks Tom. I plan to get a few new trees this fall. I'll see how they do Lechuza PON. They'll be inside under a MH light over the winter and outside in the spring. It should be a good test. I'll repot my other trees in it if the new ones do well.