Author Topic: how to prune (please help)  (Read 1728 times)

beginners luck

• treasure coast florida
    • View Profile
how to prune (please help)
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »
I have a mango tree that's been in the ground for about 2 years now. And have no idea how to prune it. I've watched videos and read but dosent quite explain. Thank you all.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: how to prune (please help)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:33 PM »
Posting pictures and explaning what your goal is will help.
- Rob

beginners luck

• treasure coast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
Just got home and was able to take some pictures.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »
Not sure if you tree will end up holding fruit, but if you want it to, will have to wait obviously until after fruiting season. You can prune it now, as I was told by Bullie, as long as we don't got another crazy cold front to set off another crazy bloom (some trees with three blooms this year) you can prune the flowers off. Did you look up fairchild video by Dr Campbell? He gives a pretty good explanation.  My understanding is prune it back as far as you want, just leave some leaves (LOL) at the end so the tree pushes nutrients to them. I pruned the hell out of my PPK last year, was very nerve racking, thought I did too much. She was pretty dormant until bloom season came and then all hell broke loose.  Like Bullie said, depends on what you want to do, but on yours maybe just a good tipping?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:48 PM »
Thank you for posting pictures. If that tree has been in the ground for two years, pruning is probably the least of your worries.

How often are you fertilizing and watering your trees? I usually wouldn't recommend watering a two year old tree but I think yours may need more fertilizer, mulch, and water.

Red mulch isn't that great. Try to go with a non dyed mulch such as cypress.

beginners luck

• treasure coast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
I fertilize it by the directions on the bag. And I only water it when I feel necessary. Maybe once a week during dry spells. And don't really water when it's blooming and fruiting. I got only 1 fruit that didn't fall off the first year I planted and was hoping this year would be great. But they all fell off very small and I have only one again holding on the size of my thumb,I'd say.. i purchased the tree grafted from a nursery.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
I see what looks to be a ZHPP tag, what variety is it?   

What kind of fertilizer are you using? 

I agree, get rid of the red mulch and invest in pure cypress, bushel stop sells a good product.   I am not sure if water is that big of an issue, i think it is more stress from a not so hearty tree with heavy blooms.  Forget about the fruit, it needs to put on some size and develop before worrying about fruit.
- Rob

beginners luck

• treasure coast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:58 PM »
It is a Glenn

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »
Ok, should be much more vigorous.   Get rid of the mulch.  If you can get some 8-3-9 fertilizer,  do so, otherwise get a quality palm fertilizer.   Sprinkle a cup around the drip line once a month and hose water (spray, not soak) 3 times a week for now.

Prune off all of the blooms and spray and drench with miracle grow once every two weeks, for 2 applications.  I would want to jump start thst plant and see it growing.

After, mulch with pure cypress, leaving 15 - 18 inches bare out from the trunk.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk