Author Topic: fruiting baccaureas tips  (Read 1497 times)

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
fruiting baccaureas tips
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:18:57 AM »
I have a few baccaurea seedlings and I want to move to the next phase but I have a few questions from member who've gotten good results with these plants:
1. Can baccaurea species can cross-pollinate across different species (e.g. do you need a female-male b.motleyana or one b.motleyana and one b.edulis will do for pollinating?)
2. Is anybody fruiting baccaurea species in SFla? How to best plant these here: sun,part-shade, how far apart, irrigation, soil, pruning/shaping, etc
3. How long did it take from seed to fruit?
Thanks!.
Federico
Homestead, FL

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
Re: fruiting baccaureas tips
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
In Malaysia it is called rambai fruit in the malay language.Not sure whether it can be cross pollinated with other species but i can tell you where to plant it and the soil type preferred. In our country it is usually planted in full sun and it thrives in fertile soil( it seems picky about the type of soil and if the soil is poor it would not fruit well).Since it is mostly planted in village orchard here i dont know about regarding the irrigation and pruning( farmers in the village rarely prune their trees)

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
I have fruited B. Dulcis from seed after about 5 years.  Here, I would plant them at about 8m although they might work a tad closer.  I prune the male back heavily.  I would be kind of surprised if it was easy to get inter specie pollination.  The fruit reminds me of duku though not as good.
Peter

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:28:58 AM »
I have fruited B. Dulcis from seed after about 5 years.  Here, I would plant them at about 8m although they might work a tad closer.  I prune the male back heavily.  I would be kind of surprised if it was easy to get inter specie pollination.  The fruit reminds me of duku though not as good.
Peter
Thanks, that's very helpful. So it seems from Peter and Arvind that there's no need to shape the tree by pruning as it grows; just let it grow up? Would you provide some shade for the small seedlings or full sun from the beginning is ok?
Federico
Homestead, FL

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »
Peter
Thanks, that's very helpful. So it seems from Peter and Arvind that there's no need to shape the tree by pruning as it grows; just let it grow up? Would you provide some shade for the small seedlings or full sun from the beginning is ok?
Well if your backyard is small maybe you can try to prune it to make it compact and shorter.Most seedling here are planted in full sun in our country

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk