Author Topic: African gold guava variety: are these colors normal?  (Read 5573 times)

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
African gold guava variety: are these colors normal?
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:09:58 PM »
Here's a photo of the fruits of my African gold P.Guajava. It has interior alternating layers of beautiful pink and yellow colors. I had never seen this on other guavas. Does anyone know if this is normal for this named variety, or is it attributable to other factors (crosspollination?). The flavor/fragrance is excellent and it only has a small cavity where all the seeds are contained. Some attacks by fruit flies but great fruit/variety overall IMO.

Federico
Homestead, FL

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Re: African gold guava variety: are these colors normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
Is a Guayaba or a gourmet  high end pice of cake dessert? Jejeje, congrats Fede looks like you got a winner right there !!! The color couldn't  be more appetizers + great taste,wow!!!
El verde es vida!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
wow, u got a great guava collection!!  approx how many varieties?

which are your favorite?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 02:22:19 PM »
Nice.  :) Strawberry-Vanilla ice cream guava. I'd like to have some seeds of this beauty.

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
Looks very interesting. May I buy scions this spring?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 05:20:47 PM »
it looks like a soft type.
my "Mexican Cream" (if thats what it really is) is very soft and creamy, and very aromatic.
my red is hard, but has a nice flavor.
now i am wondering what a cross will be like ?

does it have a name ?
i would be interested in seeds as well...

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
Is a Guayaba or a gourmet  high end pice of cake dessert? Jejeje, congrats Fede looks like you got a winner right there !!! The color couldn't  be more appetizers + great taste,wow!!!

Yes, Raul, it's really pretty to look at and the flavor is good too, but to me the best part is that the seed cavity is small, so you can actually scoop out the seeds and still end up with most of the fruit intact. We'll see if these nice characteristics stay unchanged with future crops.
Federico
Homestead, FL

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 11:55:49 AM »
wow, u got a great guava collection!!  approx how many varieties?

which are your favorite?
Adam: I probably have around 20 guava varieties. I love the perfume of that fruit! The flavor of most varieties is relatively similar IMO, with some being sweeter and creamier. The problem with some varieties is that the seeds can be too hard like little stones and this is a problem for eating. Soft/creamy varieties are my favorites. African gold and another creamy pink (unidentified) I have are probably my current favorites.
Federico
Homestead, FL

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »
it looks like a soft type.
my "Mexican Cream" (if thats what it really is) is very soft and creamy, and very aromatic.
my red is hard, but has a nice flavor.
now i am wondering what a cross will be like ?

does it have a name ?
i would be interested in seeds as well...

The variety is African gold, but I'm not sure the variegation of the flesh is just a glitch. I won't have any seeds or scions until springtime.
Federico
Homestead, FL

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 06:01:39 AM »
Greenman62, I have four plants that are the result of hand cross pollination of mexican cream guava  (daleys) and a thai giant pink. They are 2 years old and I'm not sure how long until they fruit but will let you know what they're like.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Adam: I probably have around 20 guava varieties. I love the perfume of that fruit! The flavor of most varieties is relatively similar IMO, with some being sweeter and creamier. The problem with some varieties is that the seeds can be too hard like little stones and this is a problem for eating. Soft/creamy varieties are my favorites. African gold and another creamy pink (unidentified) I have are probably my current favorites.

What methods do you use to prevent your fruit from being destroyed by worms? Were your plants all asexually propagated or are they seed grown?

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »

What methods do you use to prevent your fruit from being destroyed by worms? Were your plants all asexually propagated or are they seed grown?
I don't have a lot of problems with worms. During the summer months when crop is heavy I use organza fabric bags from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LKQ2V5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage to cover fruits. My plants are asexually propagated.
Federico
Homestead, FL

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
Greenman62, I have four plants that are the result of hand cross pollination of mexican cream guava  (daleys) and a thai giant pink. They are 2 years old and I'm not sure how long until they fruit but will let you know what they're like.

yes, please do.
My Mex cream is close to the best ive tasted.
the red i have next to it is pretty good too.
i had gotten a red and a white from Home Depot on sale. The white is terrible, at least so far
but, ive only tasted 2 fruit.
i also have about 10 plants all from different places
including Brazilian guava, and Costa Rican that should fruit in a year or so.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

I don't have a lot of problems with worms. During the summer months when crop is heavy I use organza fabric bags from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LKQ2V5A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage to cover fruits. My plants are asexually propagated.

Yup, organza bags are the only thing I know of that consistently works.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 08:41:46 PM »

Thanks for the link. Do you do any propagation yourself? If so, what method have you found to work best?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 09:28:20 PM »
Mexican cream is one I grow as it is good quality but I still prefer Hong Kong pink because it is so favor full and rich.My Brazilian orange flesh one keeps getting bigger and I am optimistic.

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »
Is this orange different to your guineese mike?

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »

Thanks for the link. Do you do any propagation yourself? If so, what method have you found to work best?
No I'm not focused on propagation. From my previous research and conversations with USDA: rootings/cuttings is very hard and the preferred method is air layering,F.
Federico
Homestead, FL