Author Topic: Rain...  (Read 9270 times)

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Rain...
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
Garden looks good and better than ever...........but dunno how much more they can take. Luckily I live on a hill sorta, so good drainage. And yes we found out we have a roof leak too, luckily seems to be isolated to the roof above the garage. 

Orly

• PALM BEACH, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 10:49:19 PM »
As for flowers, my Plumeia / Frangiapana that's only a year old has grown at least two inches in the last week.  I think over the last year they grew a total of 2 inches.  I had no idea they like being that wet, however I was watering them with city water - not rain water, and that may have been the difference.
I'm finding the same behavior with my new Frangiapana.  It's has grown like crazy this past week or so.

All this rain has been a God send for me in a way.  Over the past 2 months I've planted dozens of plants (Banana's, Papayas, Tomatoes, Satake Palm, Licuala, Fijian Coconuts, Christmas Palms, CocoPlums, Ixora, Dypsis Cabadea, Robelinni's and more)  in my new backyard garden.  The rain is giving them all a good drink and saving me on running the sprinklers.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 11:10:51 PM »
My acurite weather station recorded another 3.5 inches today. That makes almost 14 inches in the last 3 days. I have fish from the canal swimming in my back yard.
Brandon

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »
Is there anything positive out of this like millions of drowned Sri Lanka weevils?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
Sorry to see you guy's flooding down in Florida, hope you all stay safe and your plants have snorkel's, sure will flush away and bad stuff hopefully :o :(

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:22 AM »

Love Rain!!! Had about 12-13" in 7-8 days.  We were on the red zone in the drought area also...that changed I'm sure...BUT the mangoes are going to suffer with all this rain, I'm waiting for them to split and I'm sure the flavor will be watered down...can't have it all unfortunately **sigh**

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
At most we got like 2 inches here. Possibly another inch predicted over the course of the next week. Typical rainy season stuff. And we remain the driest county in the state...

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:03 PM »
another 6 inches here since my last post. And here it comes again.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Bring some over here.. thank you.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 04:32:33 PM »

With the wealth of this country, lack of vision on water re-distribution across the country baffles me. We dump fresh water in the oceans rather than recover and pipe distribute it to drier regions for irrigation.

I'm sure there would be issues like unwanted seed, fish, and other organism control before distribution to solve, but hey we have satellites I bet these issues are solvable?

Regards,

Gary

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 05:21:29 PM »

With the wealth of this country, lack of vision on water re-distribution across the country baffles me. We dump fresh water in the oceans rather than recover and pipe distribute it to drier regions for irrigation.

I'm sure there would be issues like unwanted seed, fish, and other organism control before distribution to solve, but hey we have satellites I bet these issues are solvable?

I agree. When California was going through a bad drought, many farmlands ended up being dried up. I have always wondered why they don't install water desalination plants and provide dry farmlands fresh water?
Alexi

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 05:27:23 PM »
Maybe instead of building more oil pipelines, we could work on better managing rainwater. Move that excess rainwater to where it is needed. Metric tons of freshwater have been pouring off my roof, ...just today. Wish I could share it.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
I agree. When California was going through a bad drought, many farmlands ended up being dried up. I have always wondered why they don't install water desalination plants and provide dry farmlands fresh water?

That's easy, states do not want to fund commercial businesses, and farmers have not ponied up to fund water desalination.

If Global Warming and ice cap melt is going to make the seas less saline, wouldn't water redistribution make more sense than dumping fresh water in the ocean? Again... Nah, that takes money and forward thinking.

But... as far as water redistribution goes, 100 years ago States in many cases WITHOUT taxes built watershed systems in the U.S (N.Y started as early as 1910 before income taxes were levied in 1920) and now with horrific taxing districts milking us these same districts somehow cannot even afford to maintain what the ancients built :-)

That said, I see no reason why the government cannot add a few cents to the gas tax and build a water redistribution system... Nah forget it, coffee brewing makers can't even make a coffee pot that doesn't drip all over the place when you pour from it, I guess I should lower my expectations of  industry and Government.  :-)

Regards,

Gary