Author Topic: Kava - Piper methysticum... Looking for a plant or rhizomes to buy in Costa Rica  (Read 6128 times)

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I know this is a shot in the dark limiting this herb request to a single country, but does anyone have a Piper methysticum start/rhizome in Costa Rica that I could buy?  Or know where I could find it?

Thanks, Professor

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Not in your country but logee's greenhouse plants sells them from time to time. Should be no problem for you to grow kava down there. A word to USA members though on kava. It is extremely tropical and can easily die being exposed a few times at temps of around 60°F. I've killed this plant multiple times by leaving it out on cool nights and forgetting to bring it inside. Really useful medicinal plant I highly recommend having for your plant medicine cabinet but finicky as heck to grow. Good quality kava is fantastically effective for anxiety and depression. Nature's Xanax and that's no joke!
Trying to grow it all!

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
Following.

Hey D, 60f would mean a good fifth of my year in Texas 9a (at least at night)  Does it winter over well? indoors?

I grow Valerian, Klip Dagga (working on my wild Dagga sprouts now), Mitragyna Speciosa (at least what ive been told is), Hibiscus, Cha-om, Miracleberry.. i love medicinals. Never came across anyone willing to sell any Kava cuttings.

D-Grower

• View Profile
Kava is very shade tolerant and does well in a fairly lighted spot indoors. Definitely don't allow it to stay outdoors if it drops into the 60s.

Logees greenhouse company sells them from time to time but yes otherwise they are not easy to obtain. I've had and killed kava 3-4 times just due to leaving out a night or two in the 60s.

If you can post a pic of your M. speciosa I could ID it for you. At least in terms of the correct species not the strain. Most types hardy look any different from each other.
Trying to grow it all!

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
That would be great. I'll make a note to take some pics. They are looking really ratty, I lost some interest In them after I got to know the community a little better.  With all the anecdotal and 2nd hand hype. The I've never gotten much from any flour though.

As for kava I should just avoid it. I left my entire list of plants out last night cause it was supposed to high 50s this morning the news says 49.
Peanut butter fruit sprouts.. BlackBerry jam sprouts.. lychee, mango, starfruit Jack fruit, miracle berry,etc etc. Anything as sensitive as cocoa or kava.. nope

RGoldManning

• Virginia Ashburn
    • View Profile
I don't think you'll be able to find it in your country. Try searching in online stores. I noticed that the number of sales of various herbs on the Internet has increased. For example, recently, I ordered a bladderwrack. I have a weak immune system and I constantly have some health problems. I ordered bladderwrack, as it helps to get rid of joint pain. Recently, in my country, there have been sharp changes in the weather and because of this, my joints often hurt. No painkillers helped me, so bladderwrack is a real salvation for me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:15:09 AM by RGoldManning »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
I had previously gotten cuttings from fruitlovers . Had to pay additional for a phytosanitary certificate.  They only came as single nodes which I think 2 nodes is really good for ensuring easier propagation.  I've grown it a couple of times but unfortunatley just killed it each time.

On my list to grow, hopefully will have a greenhouse capable of supporting it in the future. 
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

D-Grower

• View Profile
Logee's Greenhouse sometimes has kava available for sale. I have bought one from them before. Plant was very nice I must say.

However I have too had this plant many times and killed it each time. Super tropical. A few nights in the mid 60s°F will kill one of these guys.

There's an online buddy of mine in Germany successfully growing it in a greenhouse setting. Very good looking plants too. Hopefully I can get some this year.
Trying to grow it all!

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Logee's Greenhouse sometimes has kava available for sale. I have bought one from them before. Plant was very nice I must say.

However I have too had this plant many times and killed it each time. Super tropical. A few nights in the mid 60s°F will kill one of these guys.

There's an online buddy of mine in Germany successfully growing it in a greenhouse setting. Very good looking plants too. Hopefully I can get some this year.

Mid 60s kill the plant!? That's hard to believe. Are there actually places on earth that never get below the upper 60s in temperature? I mean I've been in the middle of the amazon rainforest at sea level and even there the nights were definitely in the mid 60s.

Seems like this could be solved by growing plants from a large amount of seed. I'd assume that inevitably some would be hardy into the fifties.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
I wonder if he ever found kava here in Costa Rica. Ark Herb Farm in Heredia might have it, I'll have to check their listing. I would love to grow it too.

Where I am in Costa Rica I haven't seen it ever go below 65 degrees. The other night was 68 but normally hangs around 70/72. We're at almost 1500 feet elevation in Guanacaste.

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
Hey Joshua, you are just a few hours from me as I'm north of Liberia.  No I haven't found it yet here. Not sure if I will.  I did visit Ark Herb farm last year and was very impressed, got many plants and seeds too. Not sure if he has it now.  For anyone that is looking in the states, I saw last month that Pete at his Green Dreams Nursery n Florida has Kava and will be selling it finally once he has propagated it out.

SummerBass

• USA
    • View Profile
Hello there! I came across your old forum post and noticed that you were looking for a Piper methysticum start/rhizome in Costa Rica. Tbh, I don't have any leads on that specific item, but I did want to recommend a kava bar that you might be interested in checking out. Hideout Kava Bar Clematis St is a cool spot in the States with some great kava strains and a relaxed vibe. As for finding a Piper methysticum start/rhizome in Costa Rica, have you tried reaching out to local herb shops or markets? They might be able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck with your search!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:37:53 AM by SummerBass »

D-Grower

• View Profile
Ark Herb Farm I believe is in Costa Rica. They might have kava but if not lots of other cool species including entheogenic species.

See that this place was already mentioned now. Hope you found some kava for your gardens.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 10:20:15 AM by D-Grower »
Trying to grow it all!

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Just a warning, these grow large!  I had to cut the two I bought from Logees ( after 2 years) and  put the cuttings directly in pots - 4 of the cuttings (with root nodes) are growing well.  I put all of them in a shade room during our coldest days (room went to 50f.  And now that the weather has warmed strong growth has started.  Most important, I've noticed is the need for a lot of water and they grow well in shade ( in the summer they are under the shade of a large tree) - and they can handle temps below 60 - not happy about it, but they can.  Hope this increases your success in growing.

mornigstar123

Spammer
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 08:34:29 AM by JakeFruit »

turtle_hermit

• USDA zone 9
    • View Profile
JF, any interest in selling an extra kava plant?