Author Topic: Fruits and Neo-Darwism  (Read 717 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Fruits and Neo-Darwism
« on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:01 PM »
Neo-Darwism is founded on the belief that “mutation’s in genes provide the raw materials needed for evolution”. According to some Evolutionists these genetic mutations can cause observable variations in organisms shapes and size dubbed “Morphology”.

I have noticed a few oddly shaped Mangoes and papaya  displaying some observable mutation from year to year and im interested to hear if you have noted any mutations in your fruits?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits and Neo-Darwism
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:34:44 PM »
If you are indeed seeing a spontaneous genetic mutation you should see it expressed outwards from a single point on the plant, and it should be consistent and transferrable via grafting.

I suspect the variation you describe is not due to genetic change, but rather environmental

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 02:03:30 AM »
I thought neo Darwinism is an old fashioned term over a 100 years old about integrating genetics like mendelian genetics into evolution theory. Darwinisn is also an old name that is pretty inexact. I doubt it is ever used in the scientific community and probably more by creation theory advocates.Genetic mutations do occur, contribute to speciation and are observed to lead to new fruit varieties.It can happen on a branch where a bud sport can lead to a fruit like a Washington navel or a new atemoya. That is different from seasonal variation due to environmental factors in fruit or phenotypic variability.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 05:55:53 AM »
They might not even be mutations because the DNA its soo complex.
All europeans and asian people come from just 200 human individuals iet we are soo different genetically from person to person.

I grow a few ,,unusual,, fruits like the red fleshed apples,a pink fleshed pear and a giant walnuts the size of a human fist with the green husk attached( biggest walnuts in the world).
When i was colecting pecans i found a lot of variation among them,somme had perfectly round nuts,otther long but tiny nuts and so on but i dont think these shapes are mutations but come from the diverse genes the trees have in their DNA.