Author Topic: Is my Abiu plant ok?  (Read 1485 times)

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Is my Abiu plant ok?
« on: May 19, 2020, 06:12:43 PM »
Hello everyone, my Abiu tree has just finished flowering and not a single fruit. It is for sure at the very least 4 years old. Everywhere I read points to the tree producing 2-3 years from seed. Is something wrong with my plant, or should I just wait more and hope for the best?

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Is my Abiu plant ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
Mine is at least 6-7 years old, has flowered 3 years in a row, and yet to form a fruit.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:45:27 AM »

I was wondering if your trees are getting too much sun. I have a number of abiu trees on my farm, raised from seed. The ones growing in partial shade produce plenty of fruit, but the ones getting lots of sun don't. Also, they fruited between two and three years old. Good luck. It's one of my very favorite fruits!

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »
Interesting. Everywhere I look says to put them in full sun, so I did! If it truly is helpful to give em some shade, I could allow the trees next to it to grow a little bigger, as I have all of my trees packed pretty tightly together, but as of right now the Abiu is the tallest standing.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
Interesting. Everywhere I look says to put them in full sun, so I did! If it truly is helpful to give em some shade, I could allow the trees next to it to grow a little bigger, as I have all of my trees packed pretty tightly together, but as of right now the Abiu is the tallest standing.

Sounds like me. Both my abiu's are pretty lanky and a bit crowded  in part shade. They are 5-6 years old (7gal) from seed and flowered twice but have held no fruit either. I feel your pain.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 06:50:52 PM »
Abiu's don't like my place...i had some large tree's though but when i planted them in full soil things went sour.
In total i killed 15 of them but i couldn't resist to buy another one...it had nice large leaves, i planted it in a very good soil, sun untill 1 pm....and then the leaves became very narrow....dunnow why...

This is it....

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
Abius are so variable and this a common problem. They always produce vast numbers of flowers of which only a small proportion can ever set fruit. Some individual trees and even varieties are shy to bear and take longer to open their accounts. Having more than one variety for cross pollination helps. The big improved spherical types with low latex etc seem to also be more productive and reliable with bearing. You can be lucky with small fruited un-named types and get a precocious heavy bearer. Hang in there as they often come good after a couple of years of flowering without setting fruit.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Mike - wont they benefit from cross pollination with a second different type/variety of Abiu?
- Rob

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
Thought I said that and yes that helps but some like z4 don't seem to need that.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 10:55:12 AM »
Thought I said that and yes that helps but some like z4 don't seem to need that.

Yes, you did.  Need to wear my reading glasses...
- Rob

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 01:02:20 PM »
Check out this recent post for a Florida reference, I have my 3 seedlings in part shade (shading from each other and neighboring trees),  sand soil - no limestone, plenty chop-drop and watered Every day
This is first year I picked 4-5 fruits off of each tree.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=31524.msg402647#msg402647

Cheers
- Marius

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk