Author Topic: space for Passiflora roots  (Read 3469 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: space for Passiflora roots
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 08:44:34 AM »
Hello ,for my climate with my observations ,they do concentrate on flower and fruit production if they are grown in pots ...my potted purple pf produced around 30 fruit the past summer, while some I had planted in the ground became super big ,but focused on vegetative growth and set fruit later in the season,which did not manage to ripen before the frosts. But for a tropical location I would think its best to plant in the ground, since when they become bigger will pump more fruit ,compared to a potted plant.

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
thanks for the information Plantinyum. Here it is not a tropical location, just zone 9b, sometimes with short frosts, sometimes without frosts. I do not yet have a passiflora incarnata. When i get one, i m thinking to have it in a pot for the first year, then in the ground for better drainage.
But i have a subtropical passiflora in its second year and it is growing big without any flowers yet, it is in the ground but it is a stony place, all stones and rumble under the surface soil.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
thanks for the information Plantinyum. Here it is not a tropical location, just zone 9b, sometimes with short frosts, sometimes without frosts. I do not yet have a passiflora incarnata. When i get one, i m thinking to have it in a pot for the first year, then in the ground for better drainage.
But i have a subtropical passiflora in its second year and it is growing big without any flowers yet, it is in the ground but it is a stony place, all stones and rumble under the surface soil.
I dont have incarnata ,but from what I have heard it is guite hardy, I think to zone 7 or 8 .if I had to make the choise I would dig some of the dirt from the yard, discard the rocks and combine it with other more fertile soil ,and plant In that ...thats how I made my blueberry bed ,replaced all the horrible clay with forest top soil ,they are growing very well

Giannhs

• 9b zone
    • View Profile
    • friendly group
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Thank you Lebmung, i received your 2 Passiflora incarnata. I am still a little perplexed, because i expected P. incarnata to have 5-lobed leaves, the ones i got have 3-lobed leaves. Meanwhile, in the south-east side of the backyard there is a Passiflora which must be Passiflora molissima, with 3-lobed leaves, from https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/ It has grown at least 5 different stalks from the ground. Thinking that it must not have ample space for the roots, i simply stopped watering it, it drinks from neighbouring plants ground. When i have flowers, hopefully, i shall show some photos, to confirm what Passiflora type exactly it is. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk