Author Topic: Ns1 seedling jack first flowering  (Read 7991 times)

jb_fla

• View Profile
Ns1 seedling jack first flowering
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
In August 2009 I planted a seed from an NS1 fruit.  I now see two flowers, which I believe are one male and one female.  I am hopeful that it will hold fruit this year, time will tell.  I planted a seedling versus a grafted variety at the time thinking it would be more cold hardy.  I live in Pasco County about 35 miles north of Tampa so cold is an issue.

The tree stands about 10' tall by about 7' wide.  Here are some

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Ns1 seedling jack first flowering
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
Hard to tell from the pics, but based on location, I would say more likely both are male.

Excalibur

• www.ExcaliburFruitTrees.com
    • Lake Worth, FL
    • View Profile
    • Excalibur Fruit Trees
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
That tree has a load of sooty mold.  If you have not recently treated for and eliminated an area "pest, I would check the tree for scale and the area for possible whitefly, scale. aphids, etc..
Excalibur Fruit Trees
5200 Fearnley Road, Lake Worth FL 33467
Mon-Sat 8am-4pm
561-969-6988

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 05:37:59 PM »
That tree has a load of sooty mold.  If you have not recently treated for and eliminated an area "pest, I would check the tree for scale and the area for possible whitefly, scale. aphids, etc..

I have sooty mold on my MAI3, and also lots of white bugs/stuff.......what can i do>?
Zach

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:13:25 PM »

I have sooty mold on my MAI3, and also lots of white bugs/stuff.......what can i do>?

The Volck Oil took it all off my Sapodilla- the mold just peeled right off. -got rid of the scale also

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:55 PM »

Without seeing pictures it is difficult to tell if it is whirefly or mealy bugs.  My guess is its whitefly in which volck will be a waste of time.  With that being said, I would treat with either a commercial grade imidacloprid or Safari.  If you don't have a local source for these chemicals, that I would use a triple strength of Bayer Advanced for fruit, veggies and citrus.  This should be applied as a drench, not sprayed.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »
hehe I have the perfect solution: ignore it :-). I haven't had a tree die yet from sooty mold :-).

NS1 is a great jack. I have a ns1 seedling that poops out a lot of fruit. It frooted faster than my grafted jacks. Taste is excellent. u prabably won't haz fruit until next year, but you'll be a happy camper when it does.
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »
hehe I have the perfect solution: ignore it :-). I haven't had a tree die yet from sooty mold :-).

NS1 is a great jack. I have a ns1 seedling that poops out a lot of fruit. It frooted faster than my grafted jacks. Taste is excellent. u prabably won't haz fruit until next year, but you'll be a happy camper when it does.
If yo are talking about Zach's tree, he stated he had "white bugs/stuff" on his tree and I have seen white bugs and stuff severely defoliate and damage new growth on many trees.  I would not ignore it.

If you are talking about jb's post, that is why I said to check the trees\ and surrounding area fer dem little buggers...

I agree with you, sooty mold alone is harmless but the pests that cause the sooty mold are not.
- Rob

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »

If yo are talking about Zach's tree, he stated he had "white bugs/stuff" on his tree and I have seen white bugs and stuff severely defoliate and damage new growth on many trees.  I would not ignore it.

If you are talking about jb's post, that is why I said to check the trees\ and surrounding area fer dem little buggers...

I agree with you, sooty mold alone is harmless but the pests that cause the sooty mold are not.

correct Rob. Didn't know what it was at first but noticed black on the leaves then white bugs on the branches/male flowers and white substance as well....how do you drench???
Zach

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:08 PM »
hmm, if it were me, I'd just let it defoliate :-). In fact that's what I did one year when scale did a number on my carambola; she had some branch die back and leaf loss, but it didn't die. I just ate some carambolas from her today actually :-).

Is that lazy or what?

I guess that's my take on life though. I had strep throat once and didn't take antibiotics. It took a while, but my immune system was able to fight off the infection :-). The second time around I might be more willing to take antibiotics though; strep sucks :-).

Let the organism fend for itself, just as it would in the wild :-). The right tree in the right place should be able to take care of itself with minimal human input.

jb_fla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
The sooty mold was from whitefly.  I've had so many ladybugs on the tree I did not want to spray it.  The sooty mold is largely flaking off without any apparent harm to the tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 08:46:16 PM »

correct Rob. Didn't know what it was at first but noticed black on the leaves then white bugs on the branches/male flowers and white substance as well....how do you drench???
To derench, mix the solution in a bucket and pour around the roots as if you were watering it.
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
hmm, if it were me, I'd just let it defoliate :-). In fact that's what I did one year when scale did a number on my carambola; she had some branch die back and leaf loss, but it didn't die. I just ate some carambolas from her today actually :-).

Is that lazy or what?

I guess that's my take on life though. I had strep throat once and didn't take antibiotics. It took a while, but my immune system was able to fight off the infection :-). The second time around I might be more willing to take antibiotics though; strep sucks :-).

Let the organism fend for itself, just as it would in the wild :-). The right tree in the right place should be able to take care of itself with minimal human input.
Well, some people don't want the damage done to their trees  ;) ::) :P

My Abiu was attacked by scale and I waited and waited hoping the weather and nature would take it course and rid the pests...well, the Abiu nearly defoliated and lost  most new growth (kept the darn weevils away though  ;D) and it spread to my Ross...I couldn't take it anymore...hello Venom, goodbye pests!

Yes, in the wild the trees would either fend for themselves or die however most of us do not want to roll the dice with our babies/investments...
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »
hahahah The funny thing though -- is that most of us 'fruit tree hoarders' (coined by patrick) have like 20 'backup' / 'runner-up' trees waiting for a spot in the yard :-). So, worst case scenario is that the abiu bites the dust and then the space opens up for ... another LEMON ZEST !! WHOO HOO!!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »

Is that lazy or what?

I'm not a physician and I don't play one on TV, but my understanding is that untreated strep can cause damage to your heart valves.  I've read somewhere that later in life heart valve replacement has been caused, in many cases by this.  I hope not in your case.  Perhaps one of our physician members would chime in here.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
Strep unchecked can progress to Rheumatic fever which can cause valvular damage. 

No need to let Strep go untreated. 

natsgarden123

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
Strep unchecked can progress to Rheumatic fever which can cause valvular damage. 

Well that's not necessarily true:  Many people are colonized ( meaning they have the organism present chronically w/out actual infection) because the overuse of antibiotics. So the strep cultures and rapid tests will be positive in a portion of the population- and it has no clinical significance.  Strep infection itself does not cause valvular heart disease- Rheumatic Fever,  which rarely can be the consequence of strep infection, can cause the valvular disease.

The overwhelming majority of Strep throat infections are self-limiting and resolve within a few days.

I personally would not take antibiotics, or swab for strep,  a simple case of sore throat. 

The risks associated with antibiotics ( development of drug resistant organisms, the risk of gastrointestinal problems. and the risk of serious allergic reaction) far outweigh the benefits.

The underlying problem is that patients demand antibiotics and most of us cave to that demand since its much easier to give in, then to argue.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 12:04:12 PM »
It just seems like we as a society have a modern tendency to over-treat. With the proliferation of hand sanitizers and the push towards sterile home environments, I often wonder how it will affect the coming generations whose immune system hasn't been able to prime itself by learning how to fend off germs and bacteria.

The other sign that we're over-treating is the fact that a mere 4 generations after the discovery of penicillin, we're coming full circle back to the point of not being able to treat bacterial infections due to strains of bacteria that are resistant to the avant-garde of antibiotics.

A similar thing happens in the garden -- farmers are now beginning to see weeds (eg, pig weed) that is resistant to round-up.

The trick is finding the middle ground between over-treating and risk of complications. I was young, healthy as a horse, and had no history of auto-immune issues. So, my risk of RF was probably about as high as getting hit by a car crossing the street :-).

DRFixembones

• Miami, Florida
    • View Profile
    • www.ZacharyDvorkin.com
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »

Well that's not necessarily true:  Many people are colonized ( meaning they have the organism present chronically w/out actual infection) because the overuse of antibiotics. So the strep cultures and rapid tests will be positive in a portion of the population- and it has no clinical significance.  Strep infection itself does not cause valvular heart disease- Rheumatic Fever,  which rarely can be the consequence of strep infection, can cause the valvular disease.

The overwhelming majority of Strep throat infections are self-limiting and resolve within a few days.

I personally would not take antibiotics, or swab for strep,  a simple case of sore throat. 

The risks associated with antibiotics ( development of drug resistant organisms, the risk of gastrointestinal problems. and the risk of serious allergic reaction) far outweigh the benefits.

The underlying problem is that patients demand antibiotics and most of us cave to that demand since its much easier to give in, then to argue.

Love hearing an MD say this.....how about letting your body fight the pathogen and gain a stronger immune system for future infections/virus', etc? This society is becoming more antibiotic resistance by the day and patients are demanding these druges even when there is no infections! (I.E. virus). My personal belief is they can be excellent when used in the correct situation, however, most Medical Physicians I know and work with openly admit they are grossly misused and we are becoming resistant to all sorts of Meds due to improper usage.
Zach

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
Like I said, Strep CAN lead to RF which CAN lead to RHD.

If I have, or any of my family members have Strep Pharyngitis, we are taking Penicillin.   This is not an example of antibiotic over-use in my opinion. 

The nice thing is that the state of Florida allows me to do what I think is correct :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 12:13:49 PM »
OMG....well meaning physicians with differing opinions....what will happen next.  LOL......let's get back to NS1 flowering.  Sorry for the brief derailment of this thread.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 08:28:25 PM »
I came here to read about an NS1 seedling flowering, and I end up more afraid of antibiotic resistant bacteria and valvular damage instead. Thanks guys.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:51 AM »
I get chest pains when I think about how long I will have to wait for my newly planted NS1 to fruit.  ;D  Of the 15 varieties I have planted, I would say my NS1 is displaying the most vigor.  It is bushy, the trunk has gained girth, and it keeps pumping out new growth at the tips. 
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
hehe if it's a seedling, you won't be waiting long. Mine was pretty quick.

I get chest pains when I think about how long I will have to wait for my newly planted NS1 to fruit.  ;D  Of the 15 varieties I have planted, I would say my NS1 is displaying the most vigor.  It is bushy, the trunk has gained girth, and it keeps pumping out new growth at the tips.