Author Topic: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!  (Read 47647 times)

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
Re: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 09:55:27 AM »
Congratulations! I can't wait to see you post as the fruit develops.
James

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 10:18:08 AM »
According to Brazilian experts , Cambuca is considered the best tasting in the Myrtaceae family , unfortunately it is not a marketable fruit , spoils within a day or 2 , never the less I also planted a lot more for the future .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 10:33:49 AM »
According to Brazilian experts , Cambuca is considered the best tasting in the Myrtaceae family , unfortunately it is not a marketable fruit , spoils within a day or 2 , never the less I also planted a lot more for the future .

Oh, the best myrtaceae? :-D , but i read a post of Oscar some time ago and he was not so happy with it; how does it taste compares to other fruits? (I mean, is it similar to another fruits in taste?)

Rock: congrats! that's so great. So, one of your 300 trees is flowering? we should reproduce it :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:36:39 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
I got a cambuca plant from Adam back in early March.  It is about 1.5 feet tall.  I plan to wait another month or 2 and plant it mid-summer while raining season is still upon us.  Is there a danger in getting it acclimated to full sun?  or should i leave it in the shade?

Thanks.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »
I got a cambuca plant from Adam back in early March.  It is about 1.5 feet tall.  I plan to wait another month or 2 and plant it mid-summer while raining season is still upon us.  Is there a danger in getting it acclimated to full sun?  or should i leave it in the shade?

Thanks.

here is the deal....

if your growing conditions are less than optimal, maybe consider growing the tree in the shade for a while...until it's about 4-6 ft.

seems like the smaller trees are more subject to adverse conditions (mainly high pH, and drought)....so it's always a safer bet to grow them in some shade.

but if you have no trouble keeping miracle fruits (blueberries) or other acid loving plants happy, when they are planted out in your garden...then I say by all means, give it full sun, and lots of irrigation....with a little fertilizer every now and again....it will fruit faster in fuller sun...but only if growing conditions are optimal.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 05:53:33 PM »
Congratulations Rock! That is pretty young for cambuca to be flowering. So you must be doing something right!  :)
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2014, 11:53:26 PM »
Great news Rock!!

that's the smallest and youngest I've seen or heard of one fruiting!

u give me hope...I might get flowers on my cambucas in the next 5 yrs.... ;)

they are a bit larger than your flowering tree (your post makes me want to go check for flowers now!)

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2014, 01:58:10 AM »

This is not true. Cambucas keep well with refrigeration for a couple of weeks. Also i wouldn't say they are better than jaboticabas, but yes quite nice.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:49 AM »

Oh, the best myrtaceae? :-D , but i read a post of Oscar some time ago and he was not so happy with it; how does it taste compares to other fruits? (I mean, is it similar to another fruits in taste?)

Rock: congrats! that's so great. So, one of your 300 trees is flowering? we should reproduce it :D

I never said i wasn't happy with taste of cambuca. I'd rate it an 8, and jaboticaba 8.5. So pretty close. They taste quite different, cambuca has a much more subtle and delicate taste, difficult to describe because different from other fruits. Nice thing about cambuca is the very large size, very attractive fruit, good fragrance, and also excellent production.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2014, 04:02:38 AM »
You are a star Rock and I'm surprized Oscar hates cambucas.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:20 AM »
You are a star Rock and I'm surprized Oscar hates cambucas.

Come on! I'm Hawaiian King of Cambucas. Ask Rock if you don't believe me.  ;)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2014, 05:24:01 AM »
Just chumming the water Oscar and it took 17 minutes for you to rise to the burley. Cambuca king..... or maybe the professor of pouteria, lord of litsea or sultan of syzygium but the garcinia guru has a better ring.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »

I never said i wasn't happy with taste of cambuca. I'd rate it an 8, and jaboticaba 8.5. So pretty close. They taste quite different, cambuca has a much more subtle and delicate taste, difficult to describe because different from other fruits. Nice thing about cambuca is the very large size, very attractive fruit, good fragrance, and also excellent production.

Oh, great, I like subtle taste :D
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
Thank you all, guys. I found another cambuca having  a flower bud when pruning them this afternoon. This tree is only three feet tall, it really surprised me. Maybe there are some flowering in my another farm.

Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:49 AM »
Congratulations Rock! That is pretty young for cambuca to be flowering. So you must be doing something right!  :)

To the Hawaiian King of Cambucas, I did cut their root but not sure if this is the key.
Rock

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2014, 06:42:50 PM »

To the Hawaiian King of Cambucas, I did cut their root but not sure if this is the key.

I think pruning roots probably helps. From this discussions on this forum, especially with Adam, it seems that plants in pots with confined root systems will flower and fruit a lot faster than plants planted into the ground. It seems that when in the ground they put a lot more of their energy into producing roots and multiplying in canopy size. Eventually plants in the ground will have much bigger crops, but take longer to start fruiting. When constrained in a pot they put more energy into producing fruit right away but will make small quantities. I would think it's a survival mechanism of sorts?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:32 AM »
Planted the first Plinia edulis in my yard yesterday...it was a grafted tree that I made about 3yrs ago....the scion was from a mature tree, but it was not large enough of a scion to make my tree fruit as early as possible....I'm praying it flowers soon though...it's getting large enough to hold a fruit for sure.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »

I think pruning roots probably helps. From this discussions on this forum, especially with Adam, it seems that plants in pots with confined root systems will flower and fruit a lot faster than plants planted into the ground. It seems that when in the ground they put a lot more of their energy into producing roots and multiplying in canopy size. Eventually plants in the ground will have much bigger crops, but take longer to start fruiting. When constrained in a pot they put more energy into producing fruit right away but will make small quantities. I would think it's a survival mechanism of sorts?

Made some space for my cambuca, and was debating whether it was better in-ground.  After reading this, I think I will leave it potted and see if I can get some fruit eventually.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »

Made some space for my cambuca, and was debating whether it was better in-ground.  After reading this, I think I will leave it potted and see if I can get some fruit eventually.

HAHAHA, i just said all of that to make Adam feel better when he had no way to put any plants in the ground. Notice he is putting many in the ground now that he has a place to do so? That is very smart because in the long run plants are happier and a lot more productive in the ground. Also maintanance is a lot lower when in the ground...don't have to be watered so often and don't get stressed so easily if you miss one watering.
Oscar

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2015, 09:36:28 PM »
That's funny!  Thanks for clarifying.  In that case, I will plant in the ground.  Hoping it can handle the high ph.
~Jeff

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Oscar, how large would it have to be before planting out?  My tree is about 18 inches above the soil...
~Jeff

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2015, 02:37:40 AM »
Oscar, how large would it have to be before planting out?  My tree is about 18 inches above the soil...

That's big enough to plant out. FYI they fruit better in full sun, but will also handle some shade.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2016, 12:16:48 AM »
just recently noticed one of the cambucas flowering!

it was rootbound in a 15 gal pot...I'm guessing the tree was about 10-12yr old...but I'd have to ask the person I got it from...it could be older...

it's only about 6ft tall planted out.

I'm excited to see these flowering sooner than I thought...I'm guessing these reports of trees taking forever to fruit in FL are because of poor growing conditions.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2016, 05:01:41 AM »
WOW! That's great, congratulations!  ;D

Tropimalaga

• Spain,Malaga,Velez-Malaga,10a
    • View Profile
    • Frutalestropicales
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2016, 05:14:27 PM »
Congratulations, this gives us encouragement to those who have a cambuca in a pot for many years and we dream of seeing a flower.