Author Topic: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!  (Read 47590 times)

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: My Cambuca (Plinea edulis) tree!
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
Hi,

Maybe Willughbeia angustifolia would fit the bill?

This one is hard to find and, probably, very sensitive to cold.
But, it is said to produce fruits that taste of orange sherbet!!!???

After reading Whitman's description that's been my holy grail for a long time. But it's very hard to get it to fruit even in Hawaii (needs hand pollination and doesn't grow very well)! So i've given up on that one.
Oscar

Didn't Red Durian post that he had seeds? I may not be remembering correctly, but I thought he was selling some...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:42 AM »
oops...the link didn't work..
anyhow...toptropicals description and picture of cambuca is not proper.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:54 AM »
Oscar...

How do you like this description of Cambuca!

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/tt_search.cgi

I found the description to be quite accurate, and most of the information quite good, except that the correct name should be Plinia edulis, not Marlierea edulis or Rubachia glomerata. (Thread subject heading also misspelled: Plinea.) One thing i notice about my trees is that every year the taste seems to improve and become more full flavored. Also the harvest last summer was outrageous! I wonder if this year will be the same or if the plant will be alternate bearing?

This link to the description works better:http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/marlierea_edulis.htm

Under the leathery, thin skin, there is a soft, grainless, juicy, orange-yellow, thick flesh, similar to Peaches in texture. It involves an incredibly delicious, translucent, melting, yellow pulp that encloses one two light purple seeds, easily separable from the pulp. Both, flesh and pulp, have a delicious, well balanced subacid to sweet flavor, resembling jaboticabas, grumichamas and pitombas, but without any trace of astringency or resinous aftertaste. Fully ripe cambucas are prized to eat out of hand. Cut around the middle of the fruit to reach its delicious, natural jelly like, internal pulp with a spoon. The external flesh may be used to make jams, marmalades and pies. Both are used to make juices and ice creams rich in flavor and color.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:04:05 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2013, 01:08:04 AM »
oops...the link didn't work..
anyhow...toptropicals description and picture of cambuca is not proper.

I hadn't even looked at the fruit photo. Looks like it might be cabelluda? Hard to tell as the fruits are kind of old and there is no scale by which to judge size. Cambucas are at least 4x bigger than cabelluda, aka yellow jaboticaba.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
haha

the pic is of the much different, M. glazioviana...they are fuzzy, and much smaller.  The cambuca is a giant amongst Plinia fruits! and is never fuzzy!!

they also describe the size of the fruit as medium...I guess to accommodate the appearance of their photo subjects.

Also the tree gets much larger than 20ft! More like 40ft.  In FL they get to be larger than 20ft...so I know they are much larger in Brazil (I remember seeing a pic of one that was close to 50ft, I bet the fruit from that tree are incredible...as u know, the older the tree, the better the fruits get!)

Oscar...

How do you like this description of Cambuca!

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/store/tt_search.cgi

I found the description to be quite accurate, and most of the information quite good, except that the correct name should be Plinia edulis, not Marlierea edulis or Rubachia glomerata. (Thread subject heading also misspelled: Plinea.) One thing i notice about my trees is that every year the taste seems to improve and become more full flavored. Also the harvest last summer was outrageous! I wonder if this year will be the same or if the plant will be alternate bearing?

This link to the description works better:http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/marlierea_edulis.htm

Under the leathery, thin skin, there is a soft, grainless, juicy, orange-yellow, thick flesh, similar to Peaches in texture. It involves an incredibly delicious, translucent, melting, yellow pulp that encloses one two light purple seeds, easily separable from the pulp. Both, flesh and pulp, have a delicious, well balanced subacid to sweet flavor, resembling jaboticabas, grumichamas and pitombas, but without any trace of astringency or resinous aftertaste. Fully ripe cambucas are prized to eat out of hand. Cut around the middle of the fruit to reach its delicious, natural jelly like, internal pulp with a spoon. The external flesh may be used to make jams, marmalades and pies. Both are used to make juices and ice creams rich in flavor and color.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2013, 03:13:59 AM »
One of the problems with TT is that they often use photos submitted by other people, rather than taken by themselves, and so quite often misidentified.
Oscar

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Oscar, what with your recent production (last season) of cambuca seeds and with the slowness of the species to reach bearing age, what are your thoughts on cambuca as a candidate for graftage?  Will you be able to sell scions to those interested in attempting it in a year or two? 

Adam, have you grafted cambuca?  I have no wish to ask you to divulge trade secrets, but do you mind my asking whether a cleft graft or a veneer graft would be more advisable?
James

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 12:07:40 PM »
Emegar,

Yes I have grafted them...its just a regular cleft graft ( I wouldn't recommend any other graft, except maybe approach...which I've never tried).

A very low percentage ends up being successful.

In the words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I have to say about that".  ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »
Oscar, what with your recent production (last season) of cambuca seeds and with the slowness of the species to reach bearing age, what are your thoughts on cambuca as a candidate for graftage?  Will you be able to sell scions to those interested in attempting it in a year or two? 

Adam, have you grafted cambuca?  I have no wish to ask you to divulge trade secrets, but do you mind my asking whether a cleft graft or a veneer graft would be more advisable?

I'm already selling scion wood of cambuca for grafting. The trees i have come from good source and the fruits are larger than normal. Also they seem very heavy bearing. My second tree started fruiting in about 5 years. So given the right conditions: full sun and plenty of fert, they can start fruiting fairly early. I haven't tried air layers yet, but that might be another possibility. I did try last week dipping some cuttings in hormone to see if they will root, just for fun.
Oscar

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My Cambuca (Plinia edulis) tree!
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
My family from Argentina came over and I took them to the Fruit and Spice Park today, and on the ground I found two cambucas!  I saw one left green on the tree, so in a week or two if anyone wants to try cambuca head over to the park. I can confirm with Oscar that it doesn't taste like orange jello, more like a jaboticaba with little hints of mango and peach. I prefer the texture much better than jaboticaba. My aunt preferred the jaboticaba, but my mom and I preferred the cambuca. And the tree looks pretty well off in our soil and water, but their white jaboticaba looks like it is on its deathbed. :'(

I haven't tried air layers yet, but that might be another possibility. I did try last week dipping some cuttings in hormone to see if they will root, just for fun.

And Oscar, did your cuttings ever root, and have you tried airlayers yet?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 05:03:27 AM »
My family from Argentina came over and I took them to the Fruit and Spice Park today, and on the ground I found two cambucas!  I saw one left green on the tree, so in a week or two if anyone wants to try cambuca head over to the park. I can confirm with Oscar that it doesn't taste like orange jello, more like a jaboticaba with little hints of mango and peach. I prefer the texture much better than jaboticaba. My aunt preferred the jaboticaba, but my mom and I preferred the cambuca. And the tree looks pretty well off in our soil and water, but their white jaboticaba looks like it is on its deathbed. :'(

I haven't tried air layers yet, but that might be another possibility. I did try last week dipping some cuttings in hormone to see if they will root, just for fun.

And Oscar, did your cuttings ever root, and have you tried airlayers yet?

Last i looked the cuttings hadn't taken. I need to check again. I never tried doing air layers on cambuca yet.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
Not to contradict Oscar but I like to mention that all my cambuca seedlings were grown is full sun with watering 2 x a day .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »
Not to contradict Oscar but I like to mention that all my cambuca seedlings were grown is full sun with watering 2 x a day .

How does that contradict what i said?  ???
Oscar

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
My cambuca trees are about 4 years old. I grew them from seeds, used the same quantity of water and fertilizer, the seedlings were shaded for one year and then kept in full sun until now. As a result, not all of them are the same size.  They are from 2 to six feet tall. Take a look at the following photos.

Rock

emegar

• Zone 9b/10a, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Rock,

They look beautiful.  Mine are only about 1 year old and 1 foot (30 cm) tall.  What conditions led to the most rapid growth, in your experience?
James

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »
Rock,

They look beautiful.  Mine are only about 1 year old and 1 foot (30 cm) tall.  What conditions led to the most rapid growth, in your experience?

James,
As far as I'm concerned, cambuca likes water and well drained soil.
Look at another photo that shows my cambuca trees living in another place where is sometimes lack of water. Their average height is only 3 feet tall.

Rock

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
Rock,

Nice pictures, trees look very healthy.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »
Rock,

you are my hero....I love your forest of cambuca.  How many did u plant?  and why so many?  do you plan to sell the fruit?

also, did you know there are several types of cambuca? even one that reportedly fruits earlier than others?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
My cambuca trees are about 4 years old. I grew them from seeds, used the same quantity of water and fertilizer, the seedlings were shaded for one year and then kept in full sun until now. As a result, not all of them are the same size.  They are from 2 to six feet tall. Take a look at the following photos.

So beautifull! Congratulations!  ;D

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 05:21:14 PM »
Rock, they are looking very good! How many cambuca trees did you plant in the ground?
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
Rock,

you are my hero....I love your forest of cambuca.  How many did u plant?  and why so many?  do you plan to sell the fruit?

also, did you know there are several types of cambuca? even one that reportedly fruits earlier than others?

mine to! I love his cambuca forest!

nice video:

quem nunca viu um pe de cambuca esta aqui com frutas

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »
Rock,

Thank you Adam ;D
Yes, I plan to sell fruit in the future if they can fruit successfully.
If there is precocious type, please let me know. I want to grow some.
I prefer larger fruit type of cambuca.
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
Rock, they are looking very good! How many cambuca trees did you plant in the ground?

Thank you Oscar, I did not count them precisely  about 300 ones.
I also keep hundreds of cambuca in container,those ones will also be planted in my farm, will show photos latter.
Rock

fruithunter

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
Thank you all for praising my cambuca trees, I think they will grow better because of this  ;D
Rock

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Rock,

you will have to translate the page...

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/pliniaedulis.htm

i think i have both types by chance, the red type is more rare in FL.  I think it has a more oval shaped leaf..it also has broader leaves than the more common cream type (that's the closest translation I could get)

the article says the red type has slightly smaller fruits but bears much sooner, around 11yrs instead of 20.

Rock,

Thank you Adam ;D
Yes, I plan to sell fruit in the future if they can fruit successfully.
If there is precocious type, please let me know. I want to grow some.
I prefer larger fruit type of cambuca.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com