Author Topic: Overrated Tropical Fruits  (Read 8981 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Overrated Tropical Fruits
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 11:25:07 AM »
Black sapote
Wax jambu
Jabos
Dragon fruit (for their taste, not superfood status)
Miracle fruit
Many types of guavas

You better take that back about guavas.

How about "select" guavas.  I love the Cas.
- Rob

K-lamardo16

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
Mangosteen would be your best selection without tasting, that is a top top flavor

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
Black sapote
Wax jambu
Jabos
Miracle fruit
Many types of guavas

couldn't agree more with Dragon fruit and Jabos. Though both are really impressive. Jabos are good but grapes (some varieties) are better. And grapes give a lot of fruit and are mostly care free. Dragon in my opinion is really promising from its looks but dissapoints... Even the yellow one...

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »
In this community we are all very fortunate to have sampled a broader range of flavors than most get a chance to. Some favorites are near universal. Others are an acquired taste. It is hard for me to exclude a producing tree from the garden until I try it for 2 or 3 seasons. By experience these have been high production trees like tropical guava, some figs, passion fruit if they are particularly productive, grapefruits, etc... If I can,t eat process or give it away it needs to go unless it is really ornamental. Unfortunately I like almost everything including Durian and relatively insipid fruits like Wax Jambu.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
The yellow dragonfruit from ecuador is absolutely delicious and the best i ever tasted.

White jaboticaba's are also great. I never had another jabo.

Papaya Holland (no1 variety in Thailand) is really delicious, i won't eat another papaya.

Pitangatuba is very sour

Rainforrest plum, eugenia candolleana is a disappointment...same is the barbados cherry and governor plum.

Durian is great, jackfruit is great, dekapon is not great in Thailand, guava's are great (pen si thong), green mango's are the best, mini pineapples are awesome, longkong is nice.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 12:57:05 PM »
Of the fruit I have had:

I wouldn’t say papayas are overrated, as many people seem to not like them (wasn’t there a thread on this recently?). Some are definitely better than others, and at their best they are a good, refreshing mild fruit. Not the best in the world, but fits its purpose well.

Dragonfruit is terrible unless it’s the yellow variety, then it’s quite good. I’d put a regular kiwi above it, but I have not had the freshest/best samples of either, so not sure.

Mamey sapote is okay, I don’t really like the flavor that much but it should make good smoothies/milkshakes. Not sure if it’s “overrated,” but it’s nothing spectacular.

Annonas: I’ve had three. A fermented supermarket (Virginia supermarket) cherimoya, a rotting soursop in Indiana, and 5 varieties of pawpaw. The pawpaws were definitely something special, with a very strong flavor and a huge amount of sweetness. I have to say they are somewhat of an acquired taste, and I’m still not sure if I like them, but the Susquehanna variety in particular had a more fruity taste which I enjoyed.

Jaboticabas I’ve tried once in Puerto Rico, and they had a very interesting taste, not sure if that’s normal and don’t know what variety I had. If they all taste like that, I can understand why people like them. Overrated? Based on the crazy prices you see for any “rare” variety, there is definitely a fad going around.

Guavas have a terrific aroma and flavor, though the supermarket ones I’ve had could have been better and the seeds were very distracting. But I can definitely see why people hold them in high esteem, I imagine one of those seedless guavas would be amazing.

Passionfruit is much too sour for me, but in a very hot climate it’s refreshing and good. Not overrated I’d say.

I realize this is getting long, so I’d like to finish by saying that most commercial “superfood” tropical fruits are overrated in the public’s eye, but can be quite good when of good quality and used appropriately. The tropical fruit community looks for “more” than the supermarket offers, and so you have more divide in what people like as the supermarket panders to the most people it can, while tropical fruit enthusiasts grow their own without these concerns. So, as most exotic and unknown fruit will generally have “different” flavors and textures, some people will love them while others will not understand what the fuss is about.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »
The best soursop is a perfect balance of sweet and acidic, and the flavor is intensely tropical.  Maybe it's too much work for some, but I've always put the pulp through a strainer to remove the cottony fiber, which I don't enjoy.  I know sapodilla is very sweet, but what other fruit has a caramel/butterscotch flavor?  It blends well with other fruits in smoothies, too.

Mamey Sapote
Really, Rob?  I haven't eaten one in years.  (It's a Dade County kind of fruit!)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:49:19 PM by johnb51 »
John

xmario

• SFL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 02:03:28 PM »
This thread is on a very subjective and personal level. Its content helps with nothing other than some fruit gossip and soap opera.
Just received intel, the fruit mentioned they don't like you just as much as you don't like them!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 04:12:21 PM by xmario »
- Marius

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »
Black sapote
Wax jambu
Jabos
Miracle fruit
Many types of guavas

couldn't agree more with Dragon fruit and Jabos. Though both are really impressive. Jabos are good but grapes (some varieties) are better. And grapes give a lot of fruit and are mostly care free. Dragon in my opinion is really promising from its looks but dissapoints... Even the yellow one...
I can agree with grapes being better tasting. Especially the ones that cost $25 for one bunch ::) But who doesn't love fruits that grow off the tree trunk :)

giorgosgr.

• Attika, Greece zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2020, 03:47:24 PM »
Black sapote
Wax jambu
Jabos
Miracle fruit
Many types of guavas

I can agree with grapes being better tasting. Especially the ones that cost $25 for one bunch ::) But who doesn't love fruits that grow off the tree trunk :)

Yes its something special! It is one reason to try jabos, same with dragon for the looks and for me guavas for the aroma. (so far i dont like the texture and lack of intence flavour on the ones i have tasted)
I believe there are many things more than purely the taste when planting something.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
As others have said, this is subjective and it is best if you can try them yourself.  It is no great consolation if most people like something but you don't.  Someone mentioned rainforest plum above.  One of my trees bore for the first time this year.  I ate a few off the tree and I thought it was quite nice, there was a grapey element (including a bit of that foxy element like a concord) but had other fruit notes as well.  I picked a bunch to share with my wife and they sat on the counter for 6-8 hours.  When we had them together, the foxiness was much more pronounced, other flavors lessened, and astringency seemed more noticeable.  I don't know if this is a result of sitting for a few hours but I can think of no other explanation.  It went from very nice in my book to pretty unremarkable.  I'll have to revisit this in the future.

Someone also mentioned mamey sapote above.  This is not one of my favorites out of hand but I challenge you to find a tastier ice cream than mamey ice cream.

John

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 04:27:14 PM »
grumichama cherry, I don't see the attraction.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
The best soursop is a perfect balance of sweet and acidic, and the flavor is intensely tropical.  Maybe it's too much work for some, but I've always put the pulp through a strainer to remove the cottony fiber, which I don't enjoy.  I know sapodilla is very sweet, but what other fruit has a caramel/butterscotch flavor?  It blends well with other fruits in smoothies, too.

Also lucuma but hard to come by

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
So it seems its going to be hard to find a tropical fruit that will trump a lychee, or rambutan.  Maybe a mangosteen can do it!!!! I have to wait a few more months until the mangosteen come on to try some.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2020, 07:04:00 PM »
There is probbaly a lot of personal preference involved. My husband spits out some things I love. And I really do think people's tastebuds are wired difeerently, maybe through early exposure to certain tastes. That's why some people prefer sweet snacks and others prefer salty or sour snacks. I love noni fruit and maroilles cheese, both of which are quite stinky.  Sort of like Vegemite - you either love it or hate it.

I do try to taste fruit before I plant it, just in case.

Carolyn

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2020, 07:08:37 PM »
It surprises me how many people are saying dragonfruit are no good. I had some delicious white-fleshed (red-skinned) DF this year. They get good once they sit on the vine fully red for a few weeks. Don't pick until the connection gets floppy (thanks Spaugh for that tip). Especially good chilled to nearly frozen.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »
So it seems its going to be hard to find a tropical fruit that will trump a lychee, or rambutan.  Maybe a mangosteen can do it!!!! I have to wait a few more months until the mangosteen come on to try some.
Imo, there is nothing that can beat the flavor of a good lychee.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2020, 08:19:11 PM »
It surprises me how many people are saying dragonfruit are no good. I had some delicious white-fleshed (red-skinned) DF this year. They get good once they sit on the vine fully red for a few weeks. Don't pick until the connection gets floppy (thanks Spaugh for that tip). Especially good chilled to nearly frozen.

A lot of people have never had a good dragonfruit.  Everyone that tries my purple fruits and S8 think they are good.  They aren't lychees but some are very good.  Many also aren't good, there's a lot of variation in DF and it seems where and how they are grown matter a lot. 

You have to take peoples opinions with a grain of salt.  Like someone in New York city saying cherimoyas are no good etc when all they tried was a junk piece of fruit from the store. 
Brad Spaugh

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2020, 08:56:04 PM »

A lot of people have never had a good dragonfruit.  Everyone that tries my purple fruits and S8 think they are good.  They aren't lychees but some are very good.  Many also aren't good, there's a lot of variation in DF and it seems where and how they are grown matter a lot. 

You have to take peoples opinions with a grain of salt.  Like someone in New York city saying cherimoyas are no good etc when all they tried was a junk piece of fruit from the store.
I agree...especially since all the dragon fruit that I have tasted are store bought and taste like nothing.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
If you compare to lychees, durian, mangosteen and a top atemoya then many fruit come off bruised in the encounter. How many fruit have exceeded expectations?

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 01:26:03 AM »
If you compare to lychees, durian, mangosteen and a top atemoya then many fruit come off bruised in the encounter. How many fruit have exceeded expectations?

Mike im yet to try durian and mangosteen thats to come this summer, my expectations for durian are at rock bottom however my source who is a local grower tells me that gan yao may suprise me, my expectation for mangosteen is extremely high the equivalent of lychee and rambutan which i rate at the top with maybe the slightest advantage to lychee.  Im really keen to try pulasan which i also have a very high expectation for.

Zero fruits so far have exceeded expectations all have been way way below expectation.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 01:49:17 AM »
Avocado often seems to disappoint people with their initial taste. Durian also may need a cultured palate for your first dalliance. I have heard people say their expectations were exceeded with abiu and sapodilla. I am guessing long kong could pleasantly surprise people but capuasu may disappoint. If your pleasure is the sweeter fruits with a little acid tang or balance in the mango,pineapple and mandarin kinda way then fruits of that type perhaps should be focussed on for acquisition.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2020, 08:53:11 AM »

Mike im yet to try durian and mangosteen thats to come this summer, my expectations for durian are at rock bottom however my source who is a local grower tells me that gan yao may suprise me, my expectation for mangosteen is extremely high the equivalent of lychee and rambutan which i rate at the top with maybe the slightest advantage to lychee.  Im really keen to try pulasan which i also have a very high expectation for.

Zero fruits so far have exceeded expectations all have been way way below expectation.

I think you might need to stop expecting so much from the fruits. They are just fruits after all.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Yeah...I was excited to try cacao, bacupari, wampee...was dissapointed. Cacao has too little flesh, bacupari has that wierd rind taste that makes me gag, wampee was to sour/acidic. I guess the best way to know what you like is to taste the fruit before you buy the tree...exactly what I don't do >:(  makes me mad that I didn't try june plum before I bought the tree as I dislike the taste. I can see how you don't like the jaboticaba as it doesn't have much flesh, but nothing would be wrong if you have multiple fruits.

Hey Jab45 did you try regular wampee or the pink one? I’m growing the pink one. Thanks
Nate

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2020, 10:56:30 AM »

I think you might need to stop expecting so much from the fruits. They are just fruits after all.
I agree if you go in with lower expectations you just might be surprised ;)