Author Topic: Relocating To Ecuador | Suggestions for Viable Durian Growing Territory?  (Read 1090 times)

jimmythefruitarian

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile

Hey all,

I’m planning a move from the states to Ecuador. I am intent on successfully growing some durian down there, but can’t seem to find many resources about durian growing in Ecuador. Basically I’m looking for any recommendations for regions that would be most viable for growing it. Anybody have any suggestions?

I know that durian has elevation and rainfall preferences. But other than that, I know nothing about growing it.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks guys and gals 👍

ben mango

• View Profile
Look into ‘Terris frutis’ Or other fruit loving communities in Ecuador to find out more

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Terra frutas seems to be pretty happening with planting durians.  They took material from my nursery and have successfully been propagating it.
Also there is some good information online that is not specific to Ecuador but we refer to it in our quest for improving durian growing in Costa Rica.   http://durianinfo.blogspot.com/p/durian-cultivars-or-clones-cultivated.html
That blog I’d a good place to start.
Peter

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Quick question for Peter, would a durian grow in Tilarán here in Costa Rica if I were to plant it near a stream that runs year round and irrigate it also year round? There's a pronounced dry season here as I'm sure you know and the guys at Zill told me they can't fruit it there because it's too dry

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
Hi, the problem at both Zill’s and Tilaran is going to be the dry wind, not the dryness itself. Quepos has a pronounced dry season too but, without the wind. They grow durian, with irrigation, fine. You would have to really protect completely from the wind. Not so far from you, at Nuevo Arenal, it would be easy.
Suerte

jimmythefruitarian

• San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help, guys!  ;D

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Thanks Peter!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Durian are fine with a pronounced dry season and the ideal rainfall is probably not super high but more like 3000mm/yr and dry seasons can help induce flowering. A bit of extra water in the dry season is appreciated however. Dry wind, and minimum temps dipping below 10c a bit too often won't help them. there is much variation between varieties in cold tolerance and even in water requirements so choose varieties to suit location as well as possible.

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
What insight do you have on varieties of zibethinis regarding tolerance to dry, wet, cold, etc.?
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk