Author Topic: Jaboticaba Cultivars and their Leaves  (Read 1055 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Jaboticaba Cultivars and their Leaves
« on: March 11, 2021, 01:04:05 PM »

I received all these beautiful scions while on a trip to Colorado and prepared them all myself and in doing so thought it was cool to see all the leaves of the cultivars together in one place. Perhaps others may like to see it to

I'm about to head out to the greenhouse and start grafting all of these onto one tree.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:16:37 PM by K-Rimes »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticaba Cultivars and their Leaves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 05:19:11 PM »

All grafted up

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 06:01:36 PM »
Wow, you grafted a lot on that one plant.
I am curious to see how they all do, kindly post updates over time to show the progress of the plant.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Wow, you grafted a lot on that one plant.
I am curious to see how they all do, kindly post updates over time to show the progress of the plant.

I have been legitimately obsessed with grafting over the last few months. Almost every tree or bush that can be a cocktail, is now a cocktail. I'll be updating, maybe will make a thread for cocktail trees once they start to show their style

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:48:03 PM »
Thanks for posting this. What is bottom middle UFFFO?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »
Thanks for posting this. What is bottom middle UFFFO?

Unidentified flying Fox seedling

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:50:01 PM »
M.cauliflora including red hybrid and M.jaboticaba are very similar with similar foliage and probably actually the same species. Coronata is also very close to sabara. White and phitrantha including scarlet have very similar leaves are are also probably the same species with some variation between varieties. Grimal is like a big leafed sabara. Trunciflora looks right on in the pic. Is Restinga a coronata as restinga just refers to the coastal vegetation type. Many other jab species have very distinctive foliage and even new growth.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »
M.cauliflora including red hybrid and M.jaboticaba are very similar with similar foliage and probably actually the same species. Coronata is also very close to sabara. White and phitrantha including scarlet have very similar leaves are are also probably the same species with some variation between varieties. Grimal is like a big leafed sabara. Trunciflora looks right on in the pic. Is Restinga a coronata as restinga just refers to the coastal vegetation type. Many other jab species have very distinctive foliage and even new growth.

I saw pretty solid differences in leaf size, thickness, bark, etc. Many clearly share lineage but the jabo species is definitely very broad when you can get compatibility with huge leaves like white and tiny ones like Coronata 3.

Dunno. I see calling them different cultivars. The differences are enough - but you're probably right that a lot of these are just genetic traits that could be all from the same original. I guess birds eating these seeds and shootin em all around in Brazil's millions of micro climates will do that to a species.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
Dunno. I see calling them different cultivars. The differences are enough - but you're probably right that a lot of these are just genetic traits that could be all from the same original. I guess birds eating these seeds and shootin em all around in Brazil's millions of micro climates will do that to a species.

There could have also been cultivation, selection, and breeding before colonization. Supposedly the Palora dragonfruit was found in Mayan (?) ruins.

Grimal seems very different from Sabara to me, but reminds me of oblongata.

Sabara:

Grimal:

Oblongata:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk