Author Topic: What are your top five non Zill mangoes  (Read 3495 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What are your top five non Zill mangoes
« on: May 30, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »
Maybe this has been asked before but I'm having a really good weekend so what the hay.
I have mine in my head but I don't want to taint the pool

Mango drops

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 10:20:20 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: What are your top five non Zill mangoes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 10:27:02 PM »
Definitely Carrie it is an amazing mango.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 10:41:28 PM »
I have not tried many but nam doc mai is my favorite

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 11:12:42 PM »

Carrie is a Zill mango.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 11:18:12 PM »

Carrie is a Zill mango.

Sorry I didn’t know, should have researched that further!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
PPK belongs in that group.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 07:59:36 AM »
Cac Dupuis Saigon Ppk Dwarf Hawaiian Neelam

I had a gratifying moment while tasting mangoes with my wife. She knows nothing of PPK Citrus profile. We had two Lemon meringues and after the first one she says this is very unique. Then as we cut an eat the second one. She looks at me and says this tastes like orange sherbert. I feel very smart in planting that 15-gallon PPK 2 years ago🙂

Time to get busy and plant this Zill indochinese tree. Hopefully three or four years from now I will have a gratifying moment with it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:12:59 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:19 AM »
ppk, mallika, Mahachanok, bolt, cac, beverly

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 09:09:41 AM »
Beverly is from Zills as well.

Cac, bailey marvel, Neelam, mulgoba, dupuis

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »
If going by taste alone, and in no particular order. .Cac, Guava, Cushman, Mallika and Fairchild.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 10:33:17 AM »
If going by taste alone, and in no particular order. .Cac, Guava, Cushman, Mallika and Fairchild.
I have one of the five Mallika. It was actually my first tree because it said condo mango. Going to take a second look at Cushman.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
guava, ceci love, white jehangir (? - white fleshed piney mango that rocks), kesar, and still thinking...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 11:15:21 AM »
guava, ceci love, white jehangir (? - white fleshed piney mango that rocks), kesar, and still thinking...

Cecilove is a Zill mango.

Jehangir is an inconsistent to poor fruiter in SFla.  It does, however, do well in California.
- Rob

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 12:57:39 PM »
Denise mango
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 01:15:36 PM »
Denise mango
The Greek god of wine now that sounds interesting :)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 01:21:33 PM »
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 01:44:46 PM »
Denise mango

What is that?

Sounds like a sapling someone grew and gave it a name we have a few up here but like Walter Zill said in his video. It's fine and dandy that people are proud of their trees but him and his brother have probably destroyed hundreds  of better trees. There is one locally in my area that is a sapling of Bombay with no fiber and Mild resin and Spice. I do not want to step on anyone's toes so that's about all I'm going to say but I would like to try it
https://youtu.be/MDJgcJMF_s8

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2021, 02:09:41 PM »
Denise mango

What is that?

Sounds like a sapling someone grew and gave it a name we have a few up here but like Walter Zill said in his video. It's fine and dandy that people are proud of their trees but him and his brother have probably destroyed hundreds  of better trees. There is one locally in my area that is a sapling of Bombay with no fiber and Mild resin and Spice. I do not want to step on anyone's toes so that's about all I'm going to say but I would like to try it

Trust me, I know Walter extremely well.

Problem with naming and touting a seedling, or even propagating it is that it needs to be proven.  It should be monitored for years, and propagated to determine what its offspring will produce.  Between Walter and Gary, there have been many seedings that were great the first couple years and then crashed and burned (ala Yi Xaun) and there are other varieties in the total opposite boat (Honey Kiss amongst others come to mind).
- Rob

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2021, 03:05:20 PM »
Denise mango

What is that?

Problem with naming and touting a seedling, or even propagating it is that it needs to be proven.  It should be monitored for years, and propagated to determine what its offspring will produce.  Between Walter and Gary, there have been many seedings that were great the first couple years and then crashed and burned (ala Yi Xaun) and there are other varieties in the total opposite boat (Honey Kiss amongst others come to mind).

Rob, I love my Honey Kiss

Joe

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
Denise mango

What is that?

Whenever bar oil goes on sale. Are you going to take your saw and stumpify Yi Xaun. If you do maybe you could create one of those Frankenstein  trees you despise. I would like to cast a vote for Cecilove and Carla even though I've tried neither. They are at the top of my list for this season after I've taken St Maui and Sugarloaf out of the Queue.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 03:56:17 PM by bovine421 »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 05:13:09 PM »
I think Denise and Carla are sisters.
John

561MangoFanatic

• Loxahatchee, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2021, 05:50:45 PM »
Best, Ah Ping, Tess Pollack, Paige, Ryan
Sergio

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 05:54:25 PM »
I think Denise and Carla are sisters.
[/quote

That could be very well true. Rob could have the three sisters tree. Denise Carla and Ceci. That would be unique LOL

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 09:24:32 AM »
I had several Dwarf Hawaiians last night. It has definitely moved up to the top tier non-Zill mango list.
I'm coming to realize that I really like mangoes with spice I'm hoping Little Gem will be as rich and spicy as Dwarf Hawaii. We had several ice cream mangos before we had the Dwarf Hawaiian. The ice cream was very good but the Dwarf Hawaiian was Wow Wow Wubbzy Great!😀

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 11:34:05 AM »
Some more info on Denise mango. Rated a top tier fruit. I wish to try one some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZJUu3KS2s
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk