Author Topic: My first mabolo  (Read 932 times)

JCJC

• USA and Philippines
    • View Profile
My first mabolo
« on: August 05, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »
I am currently living in the Philippines.  Searched widely for mabolo fruit.  Finally found some locally.
They were red and hard when I got them so I let them soften for a few days.  Very pretty fruit.  They did have quite a stench.
Well just tried a soft one.  Flesh was of the consistency of a under ripe peach and it was sweet.   But really there was no discernable flavor.   
Several possibilities.  Mabolo are overrated.  Not ripe enough (I have a bunch more coming along).  This was not a good clone.   Perhaps picked too soon: I think of peaches if picked too soon don't ripen very well.
These were seedless, implying that it is a selected cultivar.
A am curious about others experience.   Also, I have large mabolo seedling so wondering what to do.
Had some truly excellent mangosteens, marang, and jackfruit.  Interestingly, the best jackfruit I had was a small local one likely from seed.
JC

ben mango

• View Profile
Re: My first mabolo
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
I never had what I would consider a good tasting mabolo, but I wouldn’t doubt that they can be good given the right climate , environment etc. what part of the PI are you in ?

JCJC

• USA and Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:50:14 PM »
Close to NCR.  Rodriguez Rizal

JonM

• Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines 14.1°N
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:46:25 AM »
Finally, I've found someone again from the PI who's still active in this forum. I once saw a seedless mabolo marked for sale a few years ago on a fruit stand. I didn't buy it as I really haven't had a good impression on the fruit due to its unusual complex pungency and mealy texture but then those are of the typical red fuzzy seeded kind. It seems you have to eat it at a young enough age in order to acquire the taste for it. That however looked different, as it was a light peach colour with little fuzz. It also didn't have a strong smell, at least from what I remember. Maybe it did, maybe not. Based on the circulating resources in the Internet, some preferred varieties have been developed but it's not well-known. That thing I saw could be one of them.

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 12:16:14 PM »
mabolo tastes like bland bubble gum, I've tried it from various sources and that is my conclusion lol

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »
To me the flavor is exactly like red vine licorice. Consistency was good, but can't quite remember. I couldn't decide if it was good enough to grow haha. Beautiful fruits though

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk