Author Topic: Late(r) Season Mango Question  (Read 3790 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Late(r) Season Mango Question
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 08:50:07 PM »
I’ve heard cotton candy and M-4 are amazing but how do their seasons compare to keitt? I have a keitt tree that used to produce many fruit but was uprooted during Irma and now has not produced any since. The earliest I could pick the fruit is August 1 and it would last into September.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 09:24:42 PM »
I picked my first O-15 yesterday, slightly soft with some color break. This is the first crop on a small tree. I am not sure what the "regular" season is but the other fruit on the tree look like they will be ready soon too.

Interesting.  Pretty sure I saw a Truly Tropical Youtube at one point, and it was mentioned as a later season variety, but I could be mistaken.

So far it looks like Neelam, M-4 are the best options for extending the season by a decent amount beyond Orange Essence / Venus.  Do they both flower and set fruit easily?

@Julie - from Rob's comments & others, sounds like Cotton Candy is a mid to late July and August fruit.  M-4 is an August fruit, so M-4 should extend longer than CC.  How it compares to Keitt - well that's a good question :)  Even so, M-4 I'm sure is superior in fruit quality.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27:30 PM »
-Delete

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 09:29:31 PM »
I vote Beverly. Small tree and big delicious fruit with a nice texture. Never tried M4 And it’s too new to speculate how it will do In your location.

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 09:51:17 PM »
At my location, peach cobbler is a June/July tree. I have ripe peach cobblers now. M4 and taralay look like they might go to August. Both had late blooms this year.

I think location plays a role in some of these varieties.   Cotton Candy seems to be a mid to late July and August fruit here.  Little Gem July and maybe into August.  Peach Cobbler is an August fruit

Neelam is a very late variety that might fulfill your wants/needs

I have never seen Peach Cobblers in June.  Is this normal for you?

M4 into August is about right.  Taralay is a July mango which I suppose on a late bloom could hang into early August.

I don't know if this is normal, but I bought a Peach Cobbler from Hidden Acres in Davie this past weekend.  They were limiting it to 1 per person.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2021, 07:28:02 PM »
I’ve heard cotton candy and M-4 are amazing but how do their seasons compare to keitt? I have a keitt tree that used to produce many fruit but was uprooted during Irma and now has not produced any since. The earliest I could pick the fruit is August 1 and it would last into September.
Never cut that Keitt tree down! Though I would be sure to fertilize it for recovery.   A few years ago I was on a property that had two colossal mango trees. Must have been at least 25 years old.  He told me that after the Broward hurricane of 2006 they both refused to produce fruit for two years. Neither was uprooted in any way. He did not mention major loss of limbs.

FIUPanther

• Pembroke Pines, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 09:14:15 AM »
At my location, peach cobbler is a June/July tree. I have ripe peach cobblers now. M4 and taralay look like they might go to August. Both had late blooms this year.

I think location plays a role in some of these varieties.   Cotton Candy seems to be a mid to late July and August fruit here.  Little Gem July and maybe into August.  Peach Cobbler is an August fruit

Neelam is a very late variety that might fulfill your wants/needs

I have never seen Peach Cobblers in June.  Is this normal for you?

M4 into August is about right.  Taralay is a July mango which I suppose on a late bloom could hang into early August.

I don't know if this is normal, but I bought a Peach Cobbler from Hidden Acres in Davie this past weekend.  They were limiting it to 1 per person.

I have also bought Peach Cobbler from Hidden Acres (June 2021), they've had them the last two times I've gone within the last week or so and limited them to 1 per customer.

It's the best mango I've ever had, although I haven't tried almost any other of the new ZHPP varities.

Frankie

• Texas, United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2021, 01:05:58 PM »
My cotton candy is holding fruit 1st time. Beautiful canopy and growth habitat disease free. In ground a little over 2 years. The fruit are large . Haven’t tasted them yet. They’re not quite done. Can’t imagine them holding more than mid July at the latest. I’m impressed so far. My Venus is doing fantastic also. Same age holding similar fruit set  trees are about the same size same age

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk