Author Topic: what to do if U.S. Customs has it ???  (Read 1639 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
what to do if U.S. Customs has it ???
« on: December 01, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
Hi all I was sent a envelope from Russia that arrived in New York Sep. 13th 2021 and was released to U.S. Customs the same day they have had it over 2 1/2 months this is a flat envelope!! how do I get it released ? this is the 2nd one sent to me the first was sent a month in a half earlier with no tracking #  is this normal?  any one know what to do??

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: what to do if U.S. Customs has it ???
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 01:12:25 PM »
I think you'll have to contact the inspection station that has the package. If it's not using the APHIS label, I'm not sure there's anything you can do.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 01:28:43 PM »
If you didn’t use a permit, right now they are throwing your seeds into the incinerator. Then they ship you the envelope with a piece of paper.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:51:39 PM »
First you need to find out what the problem is, why they are not releasing it? They are supposed to send you a seizure notice if they confiscated it, but lately this is not being done consistently. They often destroy the material without even letting you know if procedures were not followed, like having small seed lot permit enclosed.
Suggest phoning them to see if your package is still there, and to see if you can correct the problems.
Oscar

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 08:06:16 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:16:37 PM by sc4001992 »

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 10:47:13 PM »
I may offend some people, but there is an inconsistency of purpose. First, there is the health objective, which is important and should be respected by everyone. Indeed, each shipment should follow a protocol to certify the sanitary quality of the plants. Then there is another objective which is a bit more debatable. It is the obligation to be an approved nursery to be able to send to the United States with the sanitary passport. I, for example, belong to an association that regularly checks the sanitary quality of trees. And yet I cannot make an exchange with the United States for the only reason that I am not an approved nursery. So on this point, it's true that the United States doesn't make things easy. And then we are surprised that there is fraud, or that envelopes end up in the bin.

I'm pretty sure that in the case of the buddy roo envelope, the container wasn't even inspected to check if there was indeed a health risk or not. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 12:06:31 AM »
I may offend some people, but there is an inconsistency of purpose. First, there is the health objective, which is important and should be respected by everyone. Indeed, each shipment should follow a protocol to certify the sanitary quality of the plants. Then there is another objective which is a bit more debatable. It is the obligation to be an approved nursery to be able to send to the United States with the sanitary passport. I, for example, belong to an association that regularly checks the sanitary quality of trees. And yet I cannot make an exchange with the United States for the only reason that I am not an approved nursery. So on this point, it's true that the United States doesn't make things easy. And then we are surprised that there is fraud, or that envelopes end up in the bin.

I'm pretty sure that in the case of the buddy roo envelope, the container wasn't even inspected to check if there was indeed a health risk or not.
He states in the post that it is a flat envelope. I doubt they are plants in a flat envelope. I'm guessing it was seeds that were seized.
Oscar

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
This does not change the rules, whether it is plants, scions or seeds the laws are the same.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »

He states in the post that it is a flat envelope. I doubt they are plants in a flat envelope. I'm guessing it was seeds that were seized.
It was cash $$$ I sent scions and asked if he would pay in Russian Rubles as my grandchildren collect currency

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 12:57:19 PM »
First you need to find out what the problem is, why they are not releasing it? They are supposed to send you a seizure notice if they confiscated it, but lately this is not being done consistently. They often destroy the material without even letting you know if procedures were not followed, like having small seed lot permit enclosed.
Suggest phoning them to see if your package is still there, and to see if you can correct the problems.
Hi Oscar is there a ph# that you can share with me? I have been unable to find anyone and my local post office is no longer any help.   BTW this contained only a small amount of money/cash not seed or scion.            Regards   Patrick