Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Citrumelo Nr. 82

<< < (3/3)

lajos93:
Hey

Did you taste it again? whats it like as the tree got larger?

Florian:

--- Quote from: lajos93 on April 22, 2024, 12:50:23 AM ---Hey

Did you taste it again? whats it like as the tree got larger?

--- End quote ---

The tree hasn't grown much since it is still potted and I prune it. The one I planted out only made its first flower last year but no fruit yet.
The fruits are still excellent for a trifoliate cross. The rind is not good, though. I will also graft one onto Citrumelo rootstock and see how that goes. I'd hope for larger fruits.

lajos93:
why havent you planted it outside in a protected location?
Is it not on a hardy rootstock?

I bet your zone 8a is more like 8b, that should be plenty easy for a citrumelo no?

Florian:

--- Quote from: lajos93 on April 22, 2024, 06:08:10 AM ---why havent you planted it outside in a protected location?
Is it not on a hardy rootstock?

I bet your zone 8a is more like 8b, that should be plenty easy for a citrumelo no?

--- End quote ---

It is on Poncirus but I simply don't have enough space. My grandma allowed me to plant two rows of hardy citrus in her garden and that is where I planted one of the Nr. 82 that I grafted from my tree shwon above.

In the last twelve years, we have not seen anything colder than -10/-12 C which would be 8a. Many winters have in fact been 8b or even 9a, so you are right.
However, our winters are long and damp and we can have prolonged freezes where temps stay below zero for days and sometimes weeks. A hard freeze is usually not followed by positive temperatures the next day. And that is what kills citrus here.
Moreover, while some citrus may be hardy here, most of them fail to ripen their fruits in time before the first severe freezes. Our growing season is simply too short. My in-ground plants usually don't flower before May.

Till:
Good to read about your experience with Citrumelo 82, Florian.

My Dunstan Citrumelo has a very good aroma and NO Poncirus off-flavours. It is just like a sour grapefruit with some sticky substance in the fruits. The sticky substance is tasteless.

The fruits of Swingle 5 Star that I have tasted were very bitter. I prefer by far my Dunstan and my Morton. Batumi Citrumelo is also very good, maybe the best. Batumi is too sour for eating out of hand. But my Morton was sweet enough that I ade some fruits fresh as they were. I found their Poncirus flavours quite tolerable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version