Author Topic: The top three things you most dislike about squirrels  (Read 1802 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
The top three things you most dislike about squirrels
« on: December 09, 2021, 07:45:30 PM »

1.  That beady little innocent stare like   
       nothing happened
2. They seem to be everywhere. At work at the store even on vacation. Only way I can get away from them is to get on a boat and get far from Shore

3. Everyone who does not grow fruit thinks they're adorable
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: The top three things you most dislike about squirrels
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »
One of my cats back on the farm when growing up  thought they were adorable... and tasty 😋

1. Same, they act so innocent.
2. They hide when owls, hawks, or cats are nearby but taunt fruit growers and steal fruits
3. They eat what we eat before we can eat

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 08:22:55 PM »
One of my cats back on the farm when growing up  thought they were adorable... and tasty 😋

1. ...............
2. ...............
3. They eat what we eat before we can eat

Funny, it would be better if they ate stuff, they often taste and leave the rest just to taste another, damaging several in the process.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 10:25:36 PM »
1. Eat every fruit that I grow.
2. Have a party in my greenhouse if I forget to close the door
3. Bury seeds everywhere in my pots and take seeds I plant and move them around the yard

It feels like they will never go away. Even if you get rid of some, they will come back.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 06:35:01 AM »
Those little turds will run away from me now to the neighbors yard and avoid my yard like the plague! I spotted 2 yesterday in the neighbors trees but couldnt get a shot at them 😆. First mango with bird damage is going straight in the squirrel-inator. The thing I hate the most about them is everything!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 10:49:30 AM »
Shit, you guys are making me afraid to plant my trees!  This place is teeming with squirrels!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »
Shit, you guys are making me afraid to plant my trees!  This place is teeming with squirrels!

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Pandan

• Southeast USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 01:23:42 PM »
They knock over & dig through everything!! And yes that beady brainless stare! Theyre evvviiiilll  >:(

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »
1) They knock over and dig in pots

2) They dig up and eat seeds

3) That stupid smug face

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »

OMG It's even worse than I thought.  They're coming inside our homes.  They're taking over the world!  Squirrels and cockroaches will be in charge after humans are gone.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 04:34:16 PM by johnb51 »
John

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 03:32:32 PM »
I only started to have issues with them this year and echo all the issues in here but for me the acorn stashing is TERRIBLE. In my old diesel truck I would have to empty the air filter box of acorns every 3 months. They would actually fill it to the brim.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 10:58:27 AM »

They're greedy!
Acorns in the trees!Acorns covering the ground. That's not enough he wanted Publix premium brand holiday nut mix. He earned himself a ticket to the Hundred Acre Woods

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 11:02:56 AM by bovine421 »

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 03:24:10 AM »
I have no love, love, love for squirrels!  (That's three things isn't it?)— None. Vienas. Nessunokeine. Nada.

Over the years squirrels have eaten the buds off my orchids before they even get to open and sometimes even have eaten the orchid plants –if they didn't happen to dig into the medium, dislodging the orchid right out of its pot.

Now they have started devastating the fruit on my trees which had just this year started to bear after being in the ground now for closing on three years.  Every one of the two dozen Mexicola Grande fruits disappeared this summer before they began to ripen, as likewise vanished the three fruits hanging for the first time this spring on my Ice Cream mango tree.

So I shall have to deal with this problem by falling back on my no-fail remedy:  A half cup of toasted wheat germ (with two to three drops of anise oil added in, which the rodents absolutely love the flavor of) mixed thoroughly with one half cup of concrete powder.  That mixture is set out in a bowl where the squirrels can get to it but not pets or kids can.  A bowl of water is set nearby since the squirrels are thirsty after eating the mixture.  (BTW this mixture also works on rats.)

This mixture never fails because it creates an intractable B.M. that the squirrels never develop an immunity to as they often do with Decon, etc.  Plus this mixture cannot cause a secondhand poisoning of any dogs or cats that might catch an affected squirrel and eat it.  (Usually though a hawk or an owl will be what gets the affected squirrel.)

But unfortunately squirrels are territorial and after dispatching all the squirrels in my yard for one season, more move in the next season from adjacent areas, nature abhorring a vacuum as she does. 

Anyway, I do know that I never will manage to wipe out all of them because I will need to be re-supplying these destructive fluffy rats with more mixture next year when the new individuals move into my yard.  My feeling is that if I've put in the effort to grow and care for the fruit I intend to eat so I can  avoid having to buy it at the grocery store where I wind up with beautiful-but-mostly-flavorless, expensive fruit then I don't want what I've grown to fall victim to the destructiveness of squirrels.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 07:21:08 AM »
Thanks Paul, I'll have to try that. Sounds like a great solution!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 09:08:44 AM »
+1
My neighbor had to pick all of his beautiful big avocados (about a dozen on a young tree) at one time a few months back because the squirrels started to gnaw all of them!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 12:36:15 PM »
+1
My neighbor had to pick all of his beautiful big avocados (about a dozen on a young tree) at one time a few months back because the squirrels started to gnaw all of them!
Since I deployed this on the advice of the California crew. I have not lost a single avocado to ravenous squirrels. After the New Year I'm going to work on electrifying my gutters and the top portion of my fence

https://youtu.be/MziwbQv9zQ0
This may have took place in Wilmington.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 12:39:38 PM by bovine421 »

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2021, 03:32:51 AM »
Hey Y'all,  I still hate destructive squirrels and so . . .

Here's another non-poisonous option for offing them and similar sized rodents:

The Goodnature A24 Home Trapping Kit  (Good for mice but not larger rats or squirrels.)
https://goodnature.co/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=flag

A18 Grey Squirrel Trap in Action - Apr/May 2020  (Not for the easily offended.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0TVShiAC4

A Video of A24 Trap
https://goodnature.co/blogs/news/how-does-a-goodnature-trap-work

These two devices use a CO2 cylinder to charge the unit and can fire off a large number of times before the cylinder needs to be replaced.

Bait is placed inside the aperture (A18 Trap) and when a squirrel puts its head in to get to the bait the piston fires striking the animal in the back of the head killing it instantly & painlessly.

The dead animals tend to disappear reqularly once they are discovered by scavengers and so clean up afterwards is minimized.

The unit is on the pricey side but many consumer reviews testify to its effectiveness.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:05:51 AM by Epicatt2 »

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2021, 05:50:55 AM »
I looked into the a18 last year, it's banned in the usa.

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
I looked into the a18 last year, it's banned in the usa.

Maybe I overlooked something last night but when I visited their main site it directed me to their USA site.  So maybe it is now available here in the US.

But I do agree with you, Tim,  last year when I checked this product out it was not available in the US.  But that seems now to have changed.

Paul M.
==

Epicatt2

• Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2021, 03:14:51 PM »
OKAY!  Out of curiosity I just phoned the GoodNature distributor and was advised that, no, the A18 model is not available in the US currently.  But it could be available anytime now, but I'm not holding my breath.

What I did learn is that if someone has a friend who lives in the UK or Canada or maybe in New Zeland that resident could buy an A18 and send it to the States on behalf of that someone here in the US.

Also it might not hurt for interested TFF members to write to GoodNature and ask that the A18 be made available in the US.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==