Author Topic: Atemoya pinks mammoth and African Pride  (Read 1436 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
Atemoya pinks mammoth and African Pride
« on: March 24, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »
Can anyone confirm how these perform in the tropics? From what I have read they are more subtropical and in the tropics will produce much vegetative growth with not much fruit?  I already have the standard purple custard/sugar apples growing and would like to add these atemoya.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Atemoya pinks mammoth and African Pride
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 06:45:39 AM »
Mammoths are way better fruit than African Pride. Both grow well in the tropical lowlands in spite of nearly always being grafted on to cherimoya. My african pride had a few years grace before it volunteered for mulch patrol. Problem is they need cool weather for quality fruit development and you are just better off with good sugar apples.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 06:29:44 PM »
Mike do you grow mammoths or are they simply a waste of time in our climate? I cant say i have seen any trees here or for sale at markets etc ?? However i do like the idea of something bigger than sugar apples with less seeds and similar taste?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:01:59 PM »
Hi Mike! 😀
Pink Mammoth is a Squamosa or Atemoya? if is an Atemoya do you think it worth it to grow from seeds? just received some and wondering if grow them..
El verde es vida!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 06:30:51 AM »
The story of pinks mammoth is quite a tale and I have told it before. It is probably the oldest, biggest and is certainly one of the best atemoyas if not Annonas. From memory the recollections of a Brisbane botanic gardens worker of a fabulous human head sized fruit encountered in the 1860s in Suriname, French Guiana or somewhere around there cause a hunt. They were located and brought to Australia in the 1890s.Their story of survival and blossoming into the standard by which all others were judged for 100 years is quite a tale. All serious breeding programs in Australia try to impart or retain the mammoth taste.
Ok I am just a bit too warm, for quality fruit and I think Puerto Vallarta is also a little too warm to grow mammoth atemoya with winter minimum temps ideally around 8c to 13c on average and getting down to around 3c to 5c. I think you are more like 15c to 17c on average and rarely getting down to 10c. Rainfall of around 1400mm/yr is good. From seed they go well and stabilised a long time ago with numerous seedling generations. Hillary white and paxton prolific are bud sports so who know what would grow out of those.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 04:54:48 PM »
Great info thanks Mike.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 06:17:38 PM »
Just harvested mine and Mike you are right one of the best I have ever tested and best of all its in my backyard :)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2021, 04:22:23 PM »
Can anyone share how is Pink Mammoth compared to KJ Pink?
KJ Pink supposed to be the bud sport of PM, does it mean it taste better or maybe more productive?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 07:29:05 AM »
The mammoth taste is rich and distinctive and its what annona breeders here try to preserve in crosses.PP and HW have it and are more prolific than their progenitor, with smaller fruit and less grit near the skin. They are also irregular but not grotesque like some mammoths. Maybe mammoth flesh is a feather sweeter and richer. The