Author Topic: Ice Cream Beans the Fastest-Producing Fruit Tree?  (Read 2605 times)

agroventuresperu

• Peru, San Martin, Rioja, Zone 12, 950m elevation
    • View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
Ice Cream Beans the Fastest-Producing Fruit Tree?
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:13:54 PM »
I don't know if Ice Cream Beans are the fastest-producing fruit tree in the world, but they are the fastest-producing fruit tree on our property here in Peru. Many started getting multiple fruit even before they were two years old from seed. Obviously I'm not counting bananas, but that's almost as fast as bananas anyway.

Here's some footage from our farm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHs3aHoqQYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydtcJnTrXs

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: Ice Cream Beans the Fastest-Producing Fruit Tree?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »
Panama berry and grumichama have been faster then inga edulis for us. They flowered earlier but no fruit yet :(
Wow your inga tree is tiny in comparison, maybe there's not enough pollinatiors here yet or our tree's don't sync well.
Thanks for posting the video!
Would like to know more about Metohuayo (Caryodendron orinocense) :D

ciao
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 06:19:14 PM »
Cool man! I hope I get lucky with an early fruiting tree. Out of the 5 seeds I ordered last year of the machete type I have 1 that is about 5x larger than the rest and doesn't stop growing. Supposedly here in south florida they can take 5 years but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:05:40 PM »
Panama berry and grumichama have been faster then inga edulis for us. They flowered earlier but no fruit yet :(
Wow your inga tree is tiny in comparison, maybe there's not enough pollinatiors here yet or our tree's don't sync well.
Thanks for posting the video!
Would like to know more about Metohuayo (Caryodendron orinocense) :D

ciao

From what I read about Metohuayo, it sounds like it would probably be adaptable to other parts of the world. I was hoping the fatty acid profile of the seed would be more Omega-3 dominant, but it sounds pretty heavy on the Omega-6 side.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 09:21:37 PM »
We have caryodendron orinocense.
It’s diocious and it hardly ever produces.  When it does it’s really good.

Some other fast producers are Amazon tree grape and peanut butter tree.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 06:00:58 AM »
Dwarf ambarella is fastest producing fruit tree i've seen. It produced fruits from time of planting seeds in only 6 months. But they are small plants. For a large tree the inga is super fast producer. But will depend on the species of inga. The edulis produced in 2 years. But cinnamomea took about 4. And vulpina is still not fruiting after almost 6 years.
Oscar

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »
"Omega-3 dominant, but it sounds pretty heavy on the Omega-6 side."
Doesnt hurt me cause my diet have ratio 2:1 Omega3:Omega6 anyway.

Dwarf ambarella definetly very fast! And kinda stays small too cause fruits so much!

Good to know it's diocious. If anyone have seeds they want to sell or swap please let me know.
Have friends in Peru (not into fruit but could help out), would this nut be easy to find for others or is it kinda a backyard tree in rural areas?

Peanut butter is fast to. Our amazon grapes grew very slowly until I put drippers on them, no they are going for it.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

spencerw

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Self Sufficiency
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »
rollinia, surinam and mulberry (done by cuttings though) are also very fast. also the ambarella and muntingia are very fast. all about the same as the inga. jackfruits can flower in 2 years as well. plants are crazy!

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »
I have a sugar apple tree produce 2 fruits at less than 12months in the ground.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »
"Omega-3 dominant, but it sounds pretty heavy on the Omega-6 side."
Doesnt hurt me cause my diet have ratio 2:1 Omega3:Omega6 anyway.

Dwarf ambarella definetly very fast! And kinda stays small too cause fruits so much!

Good to know it's diocious. If anyone have seeds they want to sell or swap please let me know.
Have friends in Peru (not into fruit but could help out), would this nut be easy to find for others or is it kinda a backyard tree in rural areas?

Peanut butter is fast to. Our amazon grapes grew very slowly until I put drippers on them, no they are going for it.

In my experience, Metohuayo is not easy to find in Peru. My wife has never even seen it for sale anywhere.  I'm not sure where my friend got seeds who grew the saplings for us.

I had a similar experience when searching for Erythrina edulis seeds here. It was supposed to be easy to find in Chachapoyas, but there wasn't any in the markets. It turned out to just be a little "backyard" tree at some people's houses. I had the same experience in northern Mexico with Pithecellobium dulce. It's amazing how much people just don't care about such edible botanical treasures.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 05:10:33 PM »
Metohuayo, if that is caryodendron orinocense, must be from Venezuela.  Orinocense would refer to the River Orinoco in Venezuela.
Saludos
Peter

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2021, 05:17:24 PM »
Metohuayo, if that is caryodendron orinocense, must be from Venezuela.  Orinocense would refer to the River Orinoco in Venezuela.
Saludos
Peter

It has a range, but I think it's more common in Colombia.

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2021, 05:24:24 PM »
Dwarf ambarella is fastest producing fruit tree i've seen. It produced fruits from time of planting seeds in only 6 months. But they are small plants. For a large tree the inga is super fast producer. But will depend on the species of inga. The edulis produced in 2 years. But cinnamomea took about 4. And vulpina is still not fruiting after almost 6 years.

Can any of you Inga experts help ID mine? I've looked at duckduckgo images of edulis, feuillei, spectabilis, and marginata, and while some of the fruits look similar to the "Pacay" sold in the local markets, the foliage doesn't look like the trees we have. As shown in my video, I think we have three separate species: the predominant local species known as "Guaba" (this is the only species that has fruited so far), another species called "Pacay", and a third species that was sold to us as a "Pacay" variety from the coast of Peru.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »
rollinia, surinam and mulberry (done by cuttings though) are also very fast. also the ambarella and muntingia are very fast. all about the same as the inga. jackfruits can flower in 2 years as well. plants are crazy!

Wow Rollinia from cutting? I’d love to buy one of those

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 06:59:23 PM »
I don't know about fruit production but the plants def grow ridiculously fast. I planted my seeds a month ago and they're already a foot tall

agroventuresperu

• View Profile
    • AgroVentures Peru
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 05:26:36 PM »

Is that a specific cultivar or subspecies of Spondias dulcis? Some of our S. dulcis are big, but no flowers yet. Maybe it just depends on each seed?

Some of our Ingas are medium size, but loaded with fruit, and we also have some monster-sized ones with absolutely no fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 11:07:56 PM »

Is that a specific cultivar or subspecies of Spondias dulcis? Some of our S. dulcis are big, but no flowers yet. Maybe it just depends on each seed?

Some of our Ingas are medium size, but loaded with fruit, and we also have some monster-sized ones with absolutely no fruit.
The dwarf ambarella is usually classed as Spondias dulcis, but it's very different. I'm guessing it must really be either a different species or sub species.
Oscar

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 01:19:44 AM »
My amber Tamarillo grew to 6ft and produced fruit in little under a year from seed. Really delicious fruits

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2022, 05:03:33 PM »
Two of my guava seedlings (inground in a greenhouse) produced fruit last  year which was their second year from seed. The fruits havent ripened yet and are still growing atm. Just wanted to share this since i thought this is very fast for my climate, i'd imagine in the tropics they could fruit at the end of their first year .....

EDIT :  here are the fruits that i'm wating to harvest soon, they got huje for a first crop, its a promissing little tree from the start, hopefully the fruit tastes good....

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:02:31 AM by Plantinyum »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 12:13:37 AM »
Two of my guava seedlings (inground in a greenhouse) produced fruit last  year which was their second year from seed. The fruits havent ripened yet and are still growing atm. Just wanted to share this since i thought this is very fast for my climate, i'd imagine in the tropics they could fruit at the end of their first year .....
Yes guava is very fast fruiting here in Hawaii, especially the cattleya or strawberry guava. It is considered not only a weed, but the number one most invasive weed here. There are impenetrable thickets of this plant growing on a major portion of this island.
Oscar

cassowary

• View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
Yes guava is very fast fruiting here in Hawaii, especially the cattleya or strawberry guava. It is considered not only a weed, but the number one most invasive weed here. There are impenetrable thickets of this plant growing on a major portion of this island.

atleast better then lantana ;)
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2022, 08:09:21 PM »
Muntingia calabura is 1.5 to 2 years

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2022, 09:00:43 PM »
Ruby x supreme guava was my fastest ever about 6 months in ground and was in pot 6 months prior.
Great fruit too,  but white fly was her demise a year later.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 05:46:09 AM »

atleast better then lantana ;)
Lantana is also invasive here. But it's not nearly as horrific a weed as is cattleya.
Oscar