Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 59570 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #375 on: January 26, 2023, 11:52:05 AM »
Here’s an example

Simon

Like the person in the gym who only works upper body

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 26, 2023, 01:09:36 PM »
It’s like you know me, lol! By the way, I started doing calves and squats:)

Simon

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 26, 2023, 01:58:00 PM »
Here’s an example

Simon
Interesting. I'm wondering if it's just based on climate? I know cerifera isn't native to CA. I'm thinking it would do better down here especially for the FL people. Well, I'll have to see. Planning on grafts later this year.

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 26, 2023, 03:17:21 PM »
If anyone has any must do tips to offer I would love to hear them here are the things I did
-Soaked the roots upon arrival for 1 Hour
-Used the most well draining soil possible (3 parts de salted coco coir. 2 parts perlite, and about 0.5 parts worm castings)
-Took off the previous grafting tape that was girdling the graft
-Re wrapped the entire tree from 3 inches above the roots
-Added a teaspoon of half soil acidifier and half granular iron to the top of the soil

Things I will do,
-Very minimal watering to prevent root rot, (moist not wet soil)
-Remove all buddy tape at the sight of the swelling leaf buds
-Maintain a 70-80 percent humidity in the greenhouse

Any other Tips you may have to offer? Cheers
-Hunter Sims

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 26, 2023, 03:20:39 PM »
I pretty much did the same thing with addition of soaking an additional hour in nematode control. Also I plan on only using distilled water

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 26, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
I pretty much did the same thing with addition of soaking an additional hour in nematode control. Also I plan on only using distilled water

That would be smart, I dont have any nematode control yet, I have beneficial nematodes but have not added them yet as I don't want to over water or if I use nemacide kill the good ones, for my water I am pulling straight from the Florida aquifer along with using a calcium inhibitor filter. Not sure if the Calcium filter makes much a difference.

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 26, 2023, 07:53:03 PM »
Here’s an example

Simon
Interesting. I'm wondering if it's just based on climate? I know cerifera isn't native to CA. I'm thinking it would do better down here especially for the FL people. Well, I'll have to see. Planning on grafts later this year.

It grows in the Caribbean and Bermudas which at least show M. Cerifera is pretty adaptable...I don't think M. Californica grows native as far South as San Diego so not sure its any better suited for SD. Im grafting onto both just to cover my basis though.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2023, 03:53:59 AM »
Here’s an example

Simon

Most my Cerifera grafts look fine but some just end up like this for some reason.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2023, 06:33:01 AM »
Simon, what type graft did you do on that tree?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »
All I can say is that if you look at the picture, you can see the graft line. I can’t disclose specific details because of my contract with one of my partners.

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2023, 02:31:46 PM »
ok, got it, I could see the graft line and know what it is.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:51:55 PM by sc4001992 »

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2023, 07:13:47 PM »
Simon, I have never seen a Yangmei plant in real life, but I have a female wax myrtle (myrica cerifera) in my back yard. Its flower buds look exactly like what you have in the picture.

Hi Galatians552,

Does this look like the same flower buds on your myrica cerifera?  Unfortunately, I decapitated mine to graft Yangmei on, so won't be able to find out.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2023, 07:49:35 PM »
Simon, I have never seen a Yangmei plant in real life, but I have a female wax myrtle (myrica cerifera) in my back yard. Its flower buds look exactly like what you have in the picture.

Hi Galatians552,

Does this look like the same flower buds on your myrica cerifera?  Unfortunately, I decapitated mine to graft Yangmei on, so won't be able to find out.

No, those look like vegetive buds to me. The female flower buds look almost like a really small, smooth pinecone. I don't have a male tree, so I am not as familiar with those buds.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:52:25 PM by Galatians522 »

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2023, 10:26:36 PM »

Hi Galatians552,

No, those look like vegetive buds to me. The female flower buds look almost like a really small, smooth pinecone. I don't have a male tree, so I am not as familiar with those buds.

Thanks, I didn't even consider that myrica cerifera would also be separate male and female trees.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2023, 10:38:59 AM »
Thanks, I didn't even consider that myrica cerifera would also be separate male and female trees.

Yes, they have seperate male and female trees, too. Actually, in my experience the male trees far outnumber the female trees in the wild. With less than 25% of the trees being female as a rough guess. I wonder if this is related to the males having higher vigor? That might explain why some rootstocks seem to lag behind the Yangmei grafts. It would be interesting to have the rootstock in Simon's picture sexed to see if the was anything to this theory.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2023, 11:49:10 AM »
I have my original Biqi on a DNA sexed male Rubra rootstock and it’s growing at approximately the same rate as my An Hai on DNA sexed female Rubra rootstock.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2023, 03:03:07 PM »
I have my original Biqi on a DNA sexed male Rubra rootstock and it’s growing at approximately the same rate as my An Hai on DNA sexed female Rubra rootstock.

Simon
Interesting, but the test would be a cultuvar to cultivar test. Anhai on male Anhai on female with 100 or so plants on each using the same graft type.

BTW
What is your opinion on adding nematode treatment to soil after potting. I did a rehydrate soak but did not treat for nematodes before I potted. Do any of you think it is worth it at this point. All plants have been potted since Monday.

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2023, 06:39:36 PM »
I would not add any nematode treatment period, after chatting with Kelly he had about 8 thriving yangmei then added nematode treatment and weeks after, they all died,

In my perspective I would assume the trees are already stressed out and on the edge of death, if you add chemical treatment to them even in a small quantity it could shock them and lead to death of them, If youre going to plant it in the ground after its healthy then I would consider it because the treatment could slowly leach out, but in a container it has a harder time diluting away.

cant confirm this personally in my experience but after a 30 min call with a friend about just this, I would steer clear for now and just try to get them into better shape before playing with chemical treatment.
Cheers, -Hunter
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 06:41:45 PM by thesimsdude »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2023, 07:55:38 PM »
I would not add any nematode treatment period, after chatting with Kelly he had about 8 thriving yangmei then added nematode treatment and weeks after, they all died,

In my perspective I would assume the trees are already stressed out and on the edge of death, if you add chemical treatment to them even in a small quantity it could shock them and lead to death of them, If youre going to plant it in the ground after its healthy then I would consider it because the treatment could slowly leach out, but in a container it has a harder time diluting away.

cant confirm this personally in my experience but after a 30 min call with a friend about just this, I would steer clear for now and just try to get them into better shape before playing with chemical treatment.
Cheers, -Hunter
I only added one nice the trees started to grow. On the other hand, maybe nematode treatment helps the trees grow by killing nematodes that mess with the roots…like the roots already wrecked, and let the nematodes grow, then it’s game over? Who knows I’d play it safe though. Trees already stressed so probably better to wait. I soaked mine for about 20 mins. I’ll follow up if any do try to grow.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2023, 08:53:44 PM »
Baby the trees in an area where they won't pass RKN, and use them for graft stock.

After getting them healthy, treat for RKN.   

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2023, 11:12:53 PM »
Has anyone had success growing Yangmei from seed? Ive had no luck even after cold stratifying. Any tips ?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2023, 12:57:36 AM »

Simon
Interesting, but the test would be a cultuvar to cultivar test. Anhai on male Anhai on female with 100 or so plants on each using the same graft type.

BTW
What is your opinion on adding nematode treatment to soil after potting. I did a rehydrate soak but did not treat for nematodes before I potted. Do any of you think it is worth it at this point. All plants have been potted since Monday.

I agree. I should also mention that these two trees are planted at different locations in my yard so they have different Daily Light Integrals and Heat Units.

I am very wary of planting rootstocks originating from China because of the potential for RKN so I’ve been adding beneficial nematodes to my soil for trees from China even though I up pot multiple times and inspect for RKN at every up potting. Moving forward, I will only plant trees that I have grafted myself and can verify that the rootstocks have no visible signs of RKN.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2023, 01:06:57 AM »

Simon

BTW

In my response above, I thought you were talking about beneficial nematodes. For the bare root trees that im trying to rehabilitate, I use the Monterey Nematode Control. I did this with previous group buys and it has worked well for me. If you purchased redundant trees, you can try half with treatment and half without just to compare.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2023, 01:11:05 AM »
Has anyone had success growing Yangmei from seed? Ive had no luck even after cold stratifying. Any tips ?

Did you crack the seed before planting? I’ve had luck germinating Yangmei seeds by sticking them in pots and just waiting about 1 year. They naturally cold stratified outdoors and popped up by themselves without cracking the outer seed.

There is a protocol for germinating seeds on the Facebook Yangmei group

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2023, 08:00:25 AM »
Speaking of the Facebook group, It seems like they have had some group buys so I wonder what their process for purchasing is. It would be great if we can get more of these trees in the pipeline.  More trees, more cultivars gets us more food.  ;D

I bought a myrica cerifera for a relatively low price a local nursery. It doesn't seem to have any branches that are a similar diameter to Yangmei's I received. The yangmei are more narrow. What do you guys think about grafting before or after bud break?