Author Topic: Best beginner Garcinia and Eugenia to grow in pots?  (Read 1232 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Best beginner Garcinia and Eugenia to grow in pots?
« on: March 15, 2022, 01:40:26 PM »
Trying to branch out to more fruit trees that bear fruit in the long run. I was more focused on fruit trees and plants that bared fruit in under 2-3 years
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Best beginner Garcinia and Eugenia to grow in pots?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 02:10:58 PM »
Lemon drop (g. intermedia) or improved lemon drop (g. brasiliensis) for garcinias. Maybe charichuelo.

As for eugenias, Surinam cherry is the easiest I know of. Go with a Zill's Dark or another choice cultivar, as all the fruit I've tried were awful. Most eugenias are easy to grow, so look for something that tastes good.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
My recommendation for easiest eugenia is cherry of the rio grande eugenia involcrata or eugenia calycina. Once they are established they tear it up  and grow really fast. Faster to fruit than pitanga for me by a long shot.

I'd get all three to start.

Adam8aTexas

• LMK if you have myrtaceae available
    • McKinney, Texas Zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 03:51:24 PM »
Growing E. Selloi in a pot, Selloi is very fast growing for me, just hoping I don’t get one that only has sour fruits
Plant nerd in his teens that enjoys finding new species to add to their collection

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 04:01:03 PM »
Growing E. Selloi in a pot, Selloi is very fast growing for me, just hoping I don’t get one that only has sour fruits

I think the sour story is kind of overblown. I've had some fully sweet ones, just needed to forget about them on the ground / in the sun and then find them days after they fell.

Also a good beginner eugenia

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 07:34:34 PM »
For garcinia species, roblack is right, I've had garcinia intermedia (lemon drop) seedlings fruit after just going into 7gal containers and about 3.5 ft tall. Brasiliensis seedlings more about 4-5ft, 7gal to 15gal size. Charichuelo seedlings more like 7-8ft and 25gal.

You can fruit any species fairly quickly in a container if you have stock to graft on and can source compatible budwood from a fruiting tree.

Another good garcinia for containers is garcinia prainiana (cherapu). But I would not consider them to be a "beginner" species because the seeds need to be fairly fresh, you need to have male and female trees, they're pretty slow going, and you're still looking at 4-8ft tall,  25gal size trees before they're ready to flower and show their sex. They're also cold and sun sensitive. They like warmth, humidity, and semi shade. But the fruit is amazing and compared to purple mangosteen seedlings, which generally need to be about 10-12ft tall and much older to start producing fruit, they're easier.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 01:10:39 AM »
Lemon drop for garcinia and rain forest plum for Eugenia. Both fruit quick. RFP is very good and fruits two or more times per year.

E. Selloi has made my eyes tear from being too sour. The fruit was orange and on the ground. Normally, they are just overly sour, but in an unpleasant way. Cas guava or garcinia xanthochymus can pack the same sour punch but are more enjoyable. I am not sure the forget about them and eat them a few days later trick will work here with high humidity.

Pitomba would be my choice after RFP.

My second choice for garcinia is Luc's.  It will take longer to fruit and you need male and female but fruits are much better and larger than lemon drop. Luc's takes an 4 - 7 years to flower from seed.  Buy a few 3 or 7 gal trees. Clip the central leader and it will usually send out two new leaders. Graft the new leaders, one with male and the other female. Even with grafting, it may take 3+ years

Cherapu has been expensive to source and challenging to grow. All the seeds I have purchased have been trash. I just lost a 6 year old tree to wind exposure.  One of my trees flowered for the first time a few weeks ago at 8 or 9 years old. Now I need another tree to be female and flower at the same time.
Brandon

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
Lemon drop for garcinia and rain forest plum for Eugenia. Both fruit quick. RFP is very good and fruits two or more times per year.

E. Selloi has made my eyes tear from being too sour. The fruit was orange and on the ground. Normally, they are just overly sour, but in an unpleasant way. Cas guava or garcinia xanthochymus can pack the same sour punch but are more enjoyable. I am not sure the forget about them and eat them a few days later trick will work here with high humidity.

Pitomba would be my choice after RFP.

My second choice for garcinia is Luc's.  It will take longer to fruit and you need male and female but fruits are much better and larger than lemon drop. Luc's takes an 4 - 7 years to flower from seed.  Buy a few 3 or 7 gal trees. Clip the central leader and it will usually send out two new leaders. Graft the new leaders, one with male and the other female. Even with grafting, it may take 3+ years

Cherapu has been expensive to source and challenging to grow. All the seeds I have purchased have been trash. I just lost a 6 year old tree to wind exposure.  One of my trees flowered for the first time a few weeks ago at 8 or 9 years old. Now I need another tree to be female and flower at the same time.

I could mail you some female flowers and it would probably work. I wonder if you could store/preserve the pollen and for how long it'd be viable. Edit: nevermind, morning brain fog. You'll need female flowers to be pollinated not male to be pollinated
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:29:14 AM by dwfl »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »
yeah I have been trying to get some cherapu plants or seeds for years but they are never available.  Oscar/Fruitlovers had seeds once but I couldn't get any to germinate. 

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
I think that getting a decent yield requires planting the seed within 2-5 days from removal from the fruit, similar to mangosteen.

yeah I have been trying to get some cherapu plants or seeds for years but they are never available.  Oscar/Fruitlovers had seeds once but I couldn't get any to germinate.

I will try to source some female scions as a backup plan. With Luc's, I managed to beat the odds and am 5 for 5 female. I am not sure how well any other species will work for a rootstock long term.  I have some seashore mangosteen, madruno, achachairu, and Luc's in 3 gals. I have not had much luck with grafting unless I graft to the central leader and cut back the rootstock. Grafts take but the growth is super slow or non-existent after a push or two and the scion gets overtaken by the rootstock. 

I could mail you some female flowers and it would probably work. I wonder if you could store/preserve the pollen and for how long it'd be viable. Edit: nevermind, morning brain fog. You'll need female flowers to be pollinated not male to be pollinated
Brandon

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 02:20:33 PM »
I think that getting a decent yield requires planting the seed within 2-5 days from removal from the fruit, similar to mangosteen.

I will try to source some female scions as a backup plan. With Luc's, I managed to beat the odds and am 5 for 5 female. I am not sure how well any other species will work for a rootstock long term.  I have some seashore mangosteen, madruno, achachairu, and Luc's in 3 gals. I have not had much luck with grafting unless I graft to the central leader and cut back the rootstock. Grafts take but the growth is super slow or non-existent after a push or two and the scion gets overtaken by the rootstock. 

I can eventually get you some female scions from ny tree if you can't find elsewhere. You could just graft the female onto the male tree. Seashore mangosteen should work too. John Painter is experimenting grafting cherapu onto many different garcinia species so should know more about compatibility in the coming years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk