Author Topic: When/where to top soursop  (Read 654 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
When/where to top soursop
« on: April 09, 2022, 12:10:07 PM »
I have to keep my container trees at about 9ft and in-ground trees at 10-12ft, so at some point I will have to cut this down.  Would I be better off doing it now, or waiting until it is actually scraping the ceiling?   And any suggestion on where to cut?  I am thinking of cutting at 'A' for now.  The tree is about 7ft now not including container

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
Re: When/where to top soursop
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 05:30:35 PM »
You could do it at any one of those points. I'd probably cut it at B and I wouldn't wait until it's already pushing the limits.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »
If you cut under B then you will take off a lot of leaf surface area from the tree, looks like almost 50% under B.
I suggest to never take more then 30% of the leaf surface area in one go when you prune. So I would prune even well above A and then go down slowly with the snipper (maybe like every 1-2 months) until you have lowered it to a bit lower then the max desired height.

That tree have a beautiful tree structure with good lateral branches that will be able to hold huge fruits with less risk of snapping or breaking off compared to multiple leader structures.

When you prune it now it will grow many new shoots from below too, I would prune some of those off with my fingers when they bud and from there shape the tree with only my fingers snapping buds, no more surgery as this reduces fruiting as you constantly remove new leafs, better prune by breaking buds. And you already have a good structure to start with, in future if it goes out of control you can use weights etc.

If you do it well the laterals will form secondary latterals and so on and you will get a strong and lush tree that have sun on most leafs (as nature structured it), no crowding and less disease etc. that comes with multiple leader structures.

And enjoy your guanabana :D

Peace
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 09:28:04 PM »
A

Nice tree

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 10:34:45 PM »
I'd say probably prune at about B. I'm also growing a soursop, around 6 ft, in a container and it responds pretty well to a hard prune every year sending out lots of new growth.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 11:01:18 AM »
Thanks for advice, all.  I just cut it at A.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »
From my experience (2 trees) I'd say definitely do not cut at B or C unless you want the trunk to split and become two trunks because it will continue to grow vertically.  If you really want to cut it, do it at A, but I'd just wait until it's actually scraping the ceiling.
John