Author Topic: Using growth regulators to improve fruit set in sugar apples (article)  (Read 425 times)

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
I found a very interesting article about using growth regulators in sugar apples to improve fruit set and quality.  I was surprised to see the results, especially regarding the use of "brassinosteroids".   

In case anyone is interested, below is the link.

Title: Effect of some Growth Regulators on Productivity, Fruit Quality and Storability of Sugar Apple Anona squamosa, L.
Link: https://www.nveo.org/index.php/journal/article/download/3543/2924/3564

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Interesting both products NNA and BRs are inexpensive and sold on Ebay from California, The NNA seems also to work on Mango fruit drop. I don't particularly believe the hand pollination numbers. On a bad day I can do 10 flowers and get 6 to set fruit.

The results of NAA in terms of its positive effect on fruit set and fruit retention are consistent with the
findings of Muarya and Singh (1981), who reported that foliar spray of NAA increased yield and
reduced fruit drop in mango trees. Furthermore, Saski and Utsunomiya (2002) stated that spraying
Nat. Volatiles & Essent. Oils, 2021; 8(5): 12298-12316
mango trees with CPPU improved fruit retention. Furthermore, Nkansah et al. (2012) investigated the
effect of naphthalene acetic acid (NAA) sprays of varying concentrations on mango tree fruit retention
and discovered that all sprayed chemicals significantly increased fruit retention in both seasons. NAA
(25 ppm) produced the best results in terms of increasing fruit set and fruit retention, and it was finally
determined that 25 ppm NAA can be used for spraying mango flowers at full bloom to increase mango
fruit set and grower retention.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

elriba

• Panama, Panama, Zone 13B / Miami, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Hi Carlos,
I hadn't seen that these are sold on ebay.  Thanks!
Looks like something worthwhile trying.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Worth a try but if you read how it was done, very impractical. Who is going to spray individual flowers etc.
Makes more sense to try on mangos.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk