Author Topic: Origen of "Butterscotch" Sapodilla?  (Read 3033 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Origen of "Butterscotch" Sapodilla?
« on: May 24, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »
I heard on some video that the Butterscotch Sapodilla was found in Costa Rica by Zill's. Is this true, and if it is, is either of the ones they offer on their website the Butterscotch variety? Here's a link to their page...

https://www.zillplantas.com/nispero.html

I'm planning to swing by there on Friday to pick one of these up!

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Origen of "Butterscotch" Sapodilla?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 09:32:01 AM »
It’s the first I’ve heard of’Butterscotch’. The two that they have been offering come from a Vietnamese selection and a selection that Gary found in Rivas, Nicaragua.
Peter

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 09:57:47 AM »
"Butterscotch is the new latest Zill Sapodilla with superior taste.  We consider Butterscotch sapodilla as a Ferrari of the sapodillas because tree is semi compact.  Large fruit, taste like butterscotch."  This is what ZHPP posted on their Facebook page 3 years ago.  The fruit looks different than the CR varieties.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 10:00:48 AM by johnb51 »
John

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 10:11:48 AM »
Really Peter? It's the talk of the town up in the states! Everyone has to have one it seems like. Of the two they're offering which one would you suggest? It's my favorite fruit and I think they're all great no matter what the cultivar.

Thanks johnb51, for the reply also.

I texted the guy that works there and asked him about it too but he said he didn't know either. Oh well...seems weird they wouldn't leave some of that cultivar here but there's way more money to be made up there on fruit trees than there is here I guess.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 01:32:56 PM »
I would be interested in the origin of Butterscotch.
They don’t bring everything here or viceversa.  The ones they have are very good.  One has some issues with like a leaf spot and you might ask about that. Gary was complaining about it but we don’t see that same problem at our farm.
Saludos

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
Thank you Peter! I'm heading down that way tomorrow so I'll report back with what i got.

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:45:40 PM »
A tiny grafted tree here can now run $200 and more.  Crazy.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 08:35:01 PM »
This is a sapodilla that fruits in the summer correct?  Does Butterscotch flower at the same time as Haysa?  I may need to add another sapodilla to my yard for cross pollination.  Thank you.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 08:36:25 PM »
That's ridiculous...i think Zill's here sells most of their plants for 7000 colones, in 3-5 gallon bags, at least the last couple times I went that's what I paid. That's a little more than $10.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 08:53:31 PM »
Cost of the Butterscotch tree set aside how is the fruit quality relative to other cultivars?

Does this variety have a unique taste that sets it apart from others?

I was just wondering. I actually purchased a small tree from Florida and it is now in my greenhouse. (See attached photo of recently arrived tree) I don't know if I wasted $190 or if it might be something special in the future.

Thanks

Johnny

Young Butterscotch Sapodilla Tree

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 11:29:38 PM »
I'm not sure about the taste because I've never had one. The ones I've had taste like wet brown sugar with some spice or something else I can't quite describe. But i love the fruit!

Save up any seeds of ones you eat and start them and learn how to graft. Even if you sell them for half the price you bought yours for that still good money!!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 05:27:32 AM »
Johnny, I hope it tastes better than the normal variety. I also purchase a few and am hopping it does taste better. Should know in 4-5 yrs. I can't even get my Alano tree to hold the fruits to full size. Only thing that likes my tree is hummingbirds. They love to make nest on the skinny branches.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 10:49:12 AM »
I think the special thing about Butterscotch is the size of the tree.  I can't imagine any sapodilla tasting more like butterscotch than a ripe Alano.  Mine had a very rich flavor, which I think is even too strong for some people.  And it's a beauty of a tree.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:51:45 AM by johnb51 »
John

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Origen of "I would?
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
Makok sapodilla is about pure sugar!But it can get fruit fly.Dwarf tree also.I would have try Butterscotch" Sapodilla to see if it is hype.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
Gary Zill cut one open in the office and gave me and his staff a taste. We were all drooling! Truly a special sapodilla.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »
Can you ask Gary where I can get it down here in Costa Rica? It's weird that if he found it down here why wouldn't there be plants of it here. I can't get over that haha. With my luck I might not even make it to the nursery today.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 02:33:15 PM »
Of the six varieties of Sapodilla, I grow at my location, I have the highest optimism for Butterscotch, Thomas, and Tikal.  All three are reported to taste excellent but time will tell how they grow and perform in SoCal.

The two sapodilla trees I have in the ground are now beginning to flush and one has fruit. They were planted two years ago from a #15 pot. Enclosed is a photo of my Molix Sapodilla tree for reference.

The Thomas and Butterscotch are in my greenhouse to help accelerate growth.

Johnny

Molix Sapodilla Tree (5-23-2022)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 02:35:54 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 03:36:35 PM »
Johnny, your tree looks very healthy, my Alano's are still skinny with long branches. All my small fruits dropped when they were 2" so maybe next year the will get a little bigger. I should move the trees since they are growing under my large loquat trees and the large seedling sequoia national park redwood (18ft tall now).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:02:33 PM by sc4001992 »

Johnny Eat Fruit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 06:05:20 PM »
Kaz, you want to plant all of your sub-tropical trees in full sun with southern exposure. Never a good idea to have partial shade or full shade.

Good Luck

Johnny

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2022, 08:04:11 PM »
yup, makes sense. I need to get rid of some of my large mulberry trees and loquat trees. They are taking up most of the space in my yard. At least now I know which mulberry varieties I want to keep so I can dig up the large trees and just make one multi-grafted mulberry tree like did with my loquat tree.

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2022, 11:26:59 PM »
After all this talk, i never even got to go to Zill's today. It took too long to service the car I brought to San Jose and they closed early today anyway. I guess it leaves me more time to figure out if I can get the Butterscotch here hahaha

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 08:05:31 AM »
I'm told the fruit is very special and cannot be compared to other varieties.  Supposedly no grit.  Gary said that even if you do not like sapodillas, you will love this one.  I don't normally care for them myself, but wanted this one.  Mine has been blooming for a few years but has yet to set fruit.  I'm currently trying a few air layers on the tree to take to Thailand when we move.