Author Topic: Surinam Cherry Virus?  (Read 476 times)

foresight

• Idaho, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
Surinam Cherry Virus?
« on: September 03, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »
The new growth on a bunch of my surinam cherry plants is strangely bumpy and I'm not sure what it is. It seems to be spreading in a manner that leads me to believe it's airborne but aside from the leaf deformation, there is no sign of spores or anything.

MadFarm

• Royal Palm Beach, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Surinam Cherry Virus?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2023, 11:18:38 PM »
Had similar leaves on mine beginning of summer, I think it was heat stress.

daisyguy

• Gainesville, Florida (North Central Florida)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 08:44:44 AM »
This happens to mine too, both seedlings and adults, but doesn't seem to cause much harm.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 01:06:23 PM »
This is mite damage. If you use a 30x loupe you can see them. Sometimes they outgrow it, but it has become a major infestation here at my house. I spray for them now and will establish some predatory insects soon. The guess is that it is a broad mite.

foresight

• Idaho, Zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
I just checked a few of the deformed leaves under a microscope and there is no sign of mites or anything else out of the ordinary. Additionally, I don't believe it would be heat stress as the last few weeks are probably the only time this summer where temps haven't been consistently in the high 90s and low 100s (and they grew fine in these temps).

If it was just one plant I wouldn't think much but the fact that it has spread to multiple plants and is affecting pretty much all new growth has me worried. And it seems to exclusively affect surinam cherries, even plants that aren't touching or sharing drainage. I'm hoping whatever it is is either temporary or only cosmetic in effect. 

MadFarm

• Royal Palm Beach, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 03:10:11 AM »
Prune it and see if it returns. Mine didn't. I say heat related because the same deformity was on the new growth at the top of not only my suriname cherry but the tops of a chaya plant, and papaya all within a few feet of each other receiving full sun most of the day. I watered better and trimmed the suriname and chaya and the new flushes of growth were fine. The papaya growth after returned to normal as well. Maybe not heat per say,but sun exposure? Good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk