Author Topic: Squirrels eat unripe mangoes  (Read 1051 times)

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
Squirrels eat unripe mangoes
« on: June 04, 2022, 04:29:13 PM »
The squirrels are running wild, eating 50% of my green Maha Chanok, few Lemon Zest, and they could start chewing on the Sweet tart soon.

Need some suggestions to preserve the mangoes (beside killing or having a dog/cat).

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Squirrels eat unripe mangoes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 04:55:29 PM »
Maybe you cant put some protectors over the fruit.  Try plastic clamshells for fruit.   
Brad Spaugh

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 05:01:16 PM »
How far away are your trees from a launch site such as fence roof or another tree. I believe squirrels can jump 8 feet across and 5 feet straight up from what I've read. As my trees mature and get bigger I'm eliminating lower branches so the raccoons cannot use them as

This has been a hundred percent effective on this avocado tree. I have my sweet tart and orange Sherbert prepared but they grew and didn't Bloom this crazy season. I got this idea from this forum from the California crew. They credited a little old lady from Pasadena

Project for this weekend that got rained out. Plan on putting a hot wire with a grounding wire with in 1 in along the top of my wooden fence where the VIP mangoes or grown.
I also have sacrificial guava and hog plum as a peace offering. Lethal force is too time-consuming only reserved for the bad bold John's. Trapping is effective but endless they keep coming like Mongol hordes. It is useful during Bloom season for they do attract flies

Raccoons ate 20 Sweet Tarts in one evening and a half-dozen orange sherbet last season. When I tell that story folks say we don't have raccoons I've never seen a raccoo. I didn't either until one night.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 05:58:55 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 05:18:06 PM »
Maybe you cant put some protectors over the fruit.  Try plastic clamshells for fruit.
I did this with my lychee this year and they chewed holes in them, opened them up and broke the branches to get to the fruit. I now have them taped shut and will be putting some type of hot pepper spray on the outside and dust pepper powder around the tree.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 05:48:12 AM »

Thanks for the motivation all I needed to hear was green mangoes and squirrels

Endless war but Sugar Loaf is worthy of the battle

May lower it a little bit and those pieces of wood were cut to go along my gutters may not be necessary on the fence but once I get it up there I can always fine tune it
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 08:29:25 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 11:33:33 AM »
Too many to do that. I guess I can put on half of it.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 11:36:56 AM »
How far away are your trees from a launch site such as fence roof or another tree. I believe squirrels can jump 8 feet across and 5 feet straight up from what I've read. As my trees mature and get bigger I'm eliminating lower branches so the raccoons cannot use them as

My trees are very close to each other. Wow, your system is quite elaborated. I'm thinking getting airsoft gun to scare it  ;D.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 02:43:32 PM »
The squirrels are eating 50% of my green Maha Chanok,

Need some suggestions to preserve the mangoes (beside killing or having a dog/cat).

I'm thinking getting airsoft gun to scare it  ;D.
1. cinder blocks surrounding all tress drip lines and fill with cement and put 2/4 or 4x4 posts from concrete to 2 ft. above each tree. Chicken wire across all posts permitting rain & sunlight but no rodents access to the trees/fruit.
2. Same idea... make a green house enclosing the yard/trees.

Other Fictional Options probably not as desirable to most:
1. Invite your squirrel to your psychologist therapy session and ya'll work it out...
2. If growing mangos is the full time job.... Consider a career change...
3. One of the family members  is hereby expelled from the house and given the airsoft gun to sit under the mango trees and scare it every time it (Squirrel/rodent) approaches. Who gets the first rainy night?

Surely all is 99% fictional/unrealistic/delusional expectations....

Mmmm time for my other choice.. This will solve it alllll::: glass of wine time... All is forgotten......

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »
The squirrels are eating 50% of my green Maha Chanok,

I'm thinking getting airsoft gun to scare it  ;D.
1. cinder blocks surrounding all tress drip lines and fill with cement and put 2/4 or 4x4 posts from concrete to 2 ft. above each tree. Chicken wire across all posts permitting rain & sunlight but no rodents access to the trees/fruit.
2. Same idea... make a green house enclosing the yard/trees.

Other Fictional Options probably not as desirable to most:
1. Invite your squirrel to your psychologist therapy session and ya'll work it out...
2. If growing mangos is the full time job.... Consider a career change...
3. One of the family members  is hereby expelled from the house and given the airsoft gun to sit under the mango trees and scare it every time it (Squirrel/rodent) approaches. Who gets the first rainy night?

Surely all is 99% fictional/unrealistic/delusional expectations....

Mmmm time for my other choice.. This will solve it alllll::: glass of wine time... All is forgotten......

Thank goodness I don't have to deal with those South Florida lizards

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 04:44:27 PM by bovine421 »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »
Bait and trap them or shoot them or get used to them taking part of your crop.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 07:35:02 PM »
Bait and trap them or shoot them or get used to them taking part of your crop.
I agree 100% there's no simple easy solution It is a all the above approach or shock and Aw!