Author Topic: sewer roots  (Read 937 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
sewer roots
« on: June 11, 2022, 08:57:53 PM »
I know this is a bit off topic but if others are like me and have a standard size tract home lot and it's fully loaded with fruit trees etc, then you probably have encountered roots in your sewer line?  I know i have some because i had it scoped.  Looking for suggestions on how to keep it cleaned out, either by a plumbing clean out or some safe root kill product.  I have been using the robic foaming type but looking for other useful info
thanks
Bob

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: sewer roots
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 09:13:42 PM »
Hey Bob, is it sewer or septic?  If its sewer is it an old house with cast iron pipe or PVC?

Plastic pipes dont get roots in them because they seal well.  Its when the pipe cracks from old age or rot and then water seeps out.  Old 1960s houses with cast iron pipe from the house to the curb get roots in the rotted pipe and need to be replaced with plastic. 

Its not even that big of a job to upgrade to plastic if you want to prevent cast iron from getting clogged with roots.  Easier to do on your timeline than the trees.  I had an old cast iron sewer line get tree roots and had water backed up in the tub in the house.  Plumber snaked it and got the snake stuck in there and I dug it up in the middle of august here 110F outside for 3 days I dug it out and replaced with plastic.  3 ft down in bed rocks. 

That was my previous house.  New house is on septic and has plastic pipes. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 09:30:35 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:57:28 PM »
house was built in the 50's in hawthorne ca.
i thought they were clay and it's sewer, not septic.  The entry point to the clean out is PVC so it may be that the entire way but not sure because they added on prior to us owning the house.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 10:00:30 PM »
I have heard that PVC is just fine for planting around. Maybe not something super girthy, or something you'll be bummed to cut down if you need to pull the pipe, but that root intrusion or the roots busting the pipe is basically a non-issue.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 06:04:44 AM »
Around here old houses have sewer pipes of clay, with rubber seal in between.
I avoid fig, jujube, mulberry, and ficus trees in ground.
Former 3 are in pots.

Best to pull the trouble maker and put it in pot.
Which trees arei causing you problem?

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
Seanny
pots are out of the question.  3 avocados,  2 at 15ft 1 at 30ft
fig at 15ft.  loquat at 15ft , plum at 10ft.   and those are just the ones near the sewer path.  there are others, Mango, guava, that are 20-30ft from the line but roots travel !
does anyone use the Robic foam and leave it in for 6-8 hours and is it safe?
thanks

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »

and is it safe?
I am tickled by relative questions since I know we all will die and it's only a matter of odds/time/ and risk to benefits...

You look like you are talking California and of course they have more danger warnings on products than most states. They have not yet put a danger on city drinking water that contains Florine and Chlorine although they know both to be potentially toxic per multiple sources googled on halogens easily online.... They seem to be very selective in their warnings as most things. including too much distilled water, can kill... I have not & will not check their list but surprisingly amazon in product description has this foaming root killer banned for use in septic systems in Florida and I suspect due to our high water table and chance of getting back into well water.   

Amazon has good opinions on product use and potential warnings...   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQM5DS/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=d906f5315506681661a548a359db0090&content-id=amzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786%3Aamzn1.sym.53aae2ac-0129-49a5-9c09-6530a9e11786&hsa_cr_id=4350957110001&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=3703b69f-e088-491c-a94c-6ba815fed93c&pd_rd_w=doEuo&pd_rd_wg=wKn0y&qid=1655057715&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img&sr=1-1-a094db1c-5033-42c6-82a2-587d01f975e8

Plastic pipes dont get roots in them because they seal well.  Its when the pipe cracks from old age or rot and then water seeps out.  Old 1960s houses with cast iron pipe from the house to the curb get roots in the rotted pipe and need to be replaced with plastic. 

Its not even that big of a job to upgrade to plastic if you want to prevent cast iron from getting clogged with roots.  Easier to do on your timeline than the trees.  I had an old cast iron sewer line get tree roots and had water backed up in the tub in the house.  Plumber snaked it and got the snake stuck in there and I dug it up in the middle of august here 110F outside for 3 days I dug it out and replaced with plastic.  3 ft down in bed rocks.   
Impressive labor intensive but correct way to do it spaugh...

If old, lazy, weaker than spaugh, no money available to hire someone, planning on moving soon, or no time to do it type of guy::: According to amazon reviews poster on opinions said use it every 3 months... If $15 to $30/ every 3 months x 4 = $120/year max. If you live another 20 years or do not move then that would come to $1200 to $2400...   How much would the correct way listed above have cost if hiring someone?

If not illegal or no police dropping in on you while your in the bathroom foaming the toilet, do a cost/risk to benefit analysis and make your decision.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:42:52 PM by palmcity »

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
sorry
should have clarified.  Are any of the sewer cleaning products safe for the underground pipes?  Like they won't eat away at them.  I had a friend just tell me you can have a liner installed in them as well

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 02:55:59 PM »

sorry
should have clarified.  Are any of the sewer cleaning products safe for the underground pipes?  Like they won't eat away at them.  I had a friend just tell me you can have a liner installed in them as well

Go to amazon reviews... You selected to discuss Roebic foaming root killer ::: a product claimed not to damage pipes. I believe it is a herbicide but have not verified...

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 03:43:30 PM »
Feed your nice trees root killer?  Hmmmm

How many feet of line from the house to the sidewalk? 

If its a short run its not that big of a dela to dig up and replace with 4" black plastic sewer line.  Never have to worry about it again. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 03:45:35 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 03:58:13 PM »
Spaugh, already mentioned your way would be longer lasting results but suggested a cost time benefit analysis be considered.

No nitrogen or other plant feeding ingredients in it.... Only herbicide that according to google search says "Dichlobenil is an herbicide commonly used to control weeds in gardens, lawns, near ornamental trees, and various other settings. It also controls aquatic (water) weeds such as cattail and purple loosestrife. Dichlobenil stops seed germination, cellulose (cell wall) formation, and growth in plant roots and shoots.Jul 1, 2017"

I see no listing of it ever killing a tree from use in septic systems but am open for your findings?

https://www.roebic.com/faq.shtml
Will Foaming Root Killer harm my trees?
No, Foaming Root Killer is a contact root killer and will only kill the roots it comes in direct contact with

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 04:17:51 PM by palmcity »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 06:22:12 PM »

How many feet of line from the house to the sidewalk? 

If its a short run its not that big of a dela to dig up and replace with 4" black plastic sewer line.  Never have to worry about it again.

I'm the same as Brad I guess. Fix it right once. I don't like worrying about stuff but I guess I can see the point if you're going to move out soon or something just take the path of least resistance.

It sounds like the main issue here is there are big productive trees above the pipes already and they cannot be re-located for work, so, it sounds its worth trying the foam? Report back your findings pre / post bore snake camera?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk