Author Topic: Is a black sapote tree worth having?  (Read 2470 times)

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
Re: Is a black sapote tree worth having?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
As with all my delicate plantings. I keep mine in pots and move them around (a year or two). After this initial "tryout", It then decides where the best place to thrive.
The cold hits my BSapote and kills off a few branches, but now has a happy home snuggled between a few nurse trees for protection.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 11:40:11 AM »
It sucks
Got a nice one in Mexico
Not too sweet
Persimmons are better!

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 05:32:47 PM »
Black sapote is one of my favorite fruits. If you don't like it though, don't plant it. I planted the "black beauty" variety which is apparently very sweet. I haven't been able to try one yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 06:22:43 AM »
Its not even related to sapotes, Chocolate Persimmon a better name. The ripe fruit is full of potassium and carbs, gives you a boost of energy while the fiber and other nutrients are great for your gut. The taste is okay but I would eat just for the healt benefits alone.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 06:29:24 AM »

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2022, 11:34:43 PM »
Its not even related to sapotes, Chocolate Persimmon a better name. The ripe fruit is full of potassium and carbs, gives you a boost of energy while the fiber and other nutrients are great for your gut. The taste is okay but I would eat just for the healt benefits alone.

I thought you could tack “sapote” on to literally any fruit, it’s like calling every single small fruit a “cherry.”

What even would be considered true “sapote?” The Pouterias I’m guessing you mean?

I had very low hopes for black sapote fruit, but had a few over past couple years and gotta agree with most of the positive comments, they can be decently enjoyable if you know what you’re getting into. 

That said, I have yet to plant one, tho I have a lot of small trees growing from those seeds, I’m not sure if I wanna put one in the ground tho… maybe. 

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 06:53:53 AM »

I thought you could tack “sapote” on to literally any fruit, it’s like calling every single small fruit a “cherry.”

What even would be considered true “sapote?” The Pouterias I’m guessing you mean?

I had very low hopes for black sapote fruit, but had a few over past couple years and gotta agree with most of the positive comments, they can be decently enjoyable if you know what you’re getting into. 

That said, I have yet to plant one, tho I have a lot of small trees growing from those seeds, I’m not sure if I wanna put one in the ground tho… maybe.
Sapote is just a word for soft fleshed fruit…
Literally anything is a sapote
Common names do be confusing lol

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2022, 07:52:03 PM »
I tried 2 and gave my wife to taste it, we both thought it's mild tasting and not worth eating even if it's free. White Sapote taste better in my opinion. If I have room, I would grow a white sapote.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk