Author Topic: SW Broward County (FL) Growers - What mangos are you growing successfully?  (Read 484 times)

sumognat

• US, FL, SW Ranches, 10b
    • View Profile
I live in SW Ranches, FL (SW Broward County, FL), and I'm trying to decide on what mango varieties to add.  I know there are some people in the area that read this forum, and I would love to get some advice based on their experience.  :)  In short, I would like to stay away from planting poor producing /disease prone mangos (in our conditions).  I don't mind a poor producer here or there (like Ice Cream, which I love) if I really love that variety, I just don't want a whole yard full of them.

So far I have:
  • Mystery tree (planted by previous owner): looks like a smaller/dwarf variety but it's probably 15 feet tall.  Has produced a few fruit, but they fall off before I get a chance to ID.  It was sickly when we moved in, but has been getting healthier over the years.
  • Phillipine (Carabao) (mature, planted by previous owner): It had its best season last year.  I was selling fruits on FB at the end of its season and people were calling me for more  Fruit were were excellent. Anthracnose and BBS resistant.  Pretty much alternate bearing so far.
  • Kent (mature, planted by previous owner): It tastes ok, produces well and reliably.  It's the mango I will happily share with friends/family.  Anthracnose resistant, not much problems with BBS the last couple of years.
  • Sweet Tart: young tree, looks relatively disease free, but a definite favorite of thrips in dry, hot springtime.
  • Ice Cream: one of my favorite mangos so far, prone to anthracnose and very prone to PM.  Has not held on to fruit so far, but I don't spray.
  • Carrie: young tree, some anthracnose
  • Orange Sherbert:young tree, some anthracnose
  • Seacrest/Triplesec: young tree
  • Honey Kiss: young tree, disease free
  • M4: young tree
  • Sugarloaf: young tree, just planted this year
  • Pickering: young tree, disease free

Many of my young trees bloomed and set fruit, but I didn't let them hold fruit this year so they could get in another year of growth (ST, M4, and Seacrest did not bloom this year).   My trees were anthracnose free until the summer rains started. :(  In my yard, I have flooding/standing water frequently during the rainy season.  I have the typical mucky soil common in this area.

I just put in a grafting order for Cecilove at TA and am also considering adding these varieties for their disease resistance and productiveness in my conditions: Angie, Fairchild, Mahachanok.

I haven't been able to taste too many varities, but, too be honest, I'm not terribly picky.  I would say I like something more flavorful as opposed to mild, I don't mind tart, and don't mind the "piney-ness" of certain mango varieties.  I was able to buy some mangos from Hidden Acres, which is not far from me, and I liked them all: Angie (it was a bit overripe by the time I got to it, so had a bit of an off flavor, but it wasn't objectionable and I still ate it), Pickering, Cogshall, Lemon Zest, Fairchild, Ugly Betty, VanDyke, and Carrie.  Out of all those, VanDyke was my least favorite, but mostly just because it was boring, not because it was bad--it was a good mango and I was happy to eat it.

I liked the Lemon Zest and I've heard/read a lot about its productivity/disease problems, but I also read that there are some fellow SW Ranchers that have LZ trees that are doing well.  Should I take a chance, lol?  Those who are growing LZ in the area sucessfully, are you spraying them?

The other variety I was thinking about is Duncan, but I don't want to add another mild tasting mango like a Kent, that I will just end up giving away most of the fruit.

Nina

« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:30:33 PM by sumognat »

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
Ive heard Neelam has good success out in the western part of Palm Beach County.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Hi, Nina
So I am near you and have a LZ tree that is probably 7-8 years old in full sun. I don't really baby any of my trees with much of anything other than a good pruning regimen (keep the top of the canopy open for air flow to minimize disease). Early fruit are usually clean, as the season goes on they do get hit with the dark anthracnose streaks, but not in a harmful way - just cosmetic.

Tree is vigorous and the fruit is top tier in taste and it is my top producer. In my limited experience, I have encountered no jelly seed and no anthracnose that got bad enough to need me to cut away parts of the fruit.

So I say go for it, especially if you can offer it full sun and keep it away from our canal water around here which I am sure contributes to more pathogen exposure. My trees closer to the canal seem to be perpetually hit by fungal issues, squirrels, and my incredulous looks of disappointment.
Keith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk