Author Topic: Pakistan mulberry help  (Read 883 times)

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
Pakistan mulberry help
« on: August 23, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »
So I purched a few rooted cuttings of Pakistan mulberry about a year ago. They haven't done any growing yet. Some of them have dropped about half their leaves.

I thought these trees would grow like weeds at my house. Are the Pakistan mulberries prone to nematodes or something?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pakistan mulberry help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
Are they in pots or the ground?
I have a Tice mulberry I planted out and it seems to be on pause as well?
It was in a three gallon and the tap root grew through the bottom of the pot and
snapped when I lifted it up. I have another Tice that is 6' now that I planted out
after the first one? I don't water my mulberry trees and they do fine but both of my
neighbors water theirs allot and they are exploding with growth

seanyk

• Fort Pierce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 05:27:09 PM »
I planted them in ground at the end of my property because I know they aren't supposed to need much care. I mulched them pretty heavily and typically only water them if it hasn't rained in a while.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 07:48:24 PM »
This year I have been putting Cricket Frass around my mulberries once a month
and even though I don't water them they all are putting allot of new growth.
We had some good rain in June but lately its been pretty dry. If you are sort of in this
dry period I bet if you water every other day the trees would respond?
I love the cricket frass it's free.

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 09:39:15 AM »
Where fo you get cricket frass?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
Mike is THE Cricket Guy!

Kevin

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 04:39:20 PM »
I was under the impression that Pakistani mulberries are one of those mulberry varieties that need to be grafted, as they don't respond well to rooting as a cutting.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 05:24:27 PM »
I was under the impression that Pakistani mulberries are one of those mulberry varieties that need to be grafted, as they don't respond well to rooting as a cutting.

Pakistani is easily rooted.

Persian is the one you're thinking of, I think.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 08:04:33 PM »
Mike is THE Cricket Guy!

Kevin

Mike was the cricket guy
I am getting frass from my old farm.

JF paso PM me if I am close enough I can hook you up with some
My zip is 33975

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 08:27:54 PM »
Sent pm

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2022, 08:56:39 PM »
So I purched a few rooted cuttings of Pakistan mulberry about a year ago. They haven't done any growing yet. Some of them have dropped about half their leaves.

I thought these trees would grow like weeds at my house. Are the Pakistan mulberries prone to nematodes or something?
Are they in pots or the ground?
I have a Tice mulberry I planted out and it seems to be on pause as well?
It was in a three gallon and the tap root grew through the bottom of the pot and
snapped when I lifted it up. I have another Tice that is 6' now that I planted out
after the first one? I don't water my mulberry trees and they do fine but both of my
neighbors water theirs allot and they are exploding with growth

I have had mulberries about 25 years, labeled as East Coast but they look like TICE also same as achet.....

Little trees need to be watered the first year. If you fertilize them, they will grow faster and probably be able to withstand dry periods within 2 yrs. just depends on water & fertilizer application.... After they are large and about inch and 1/2 in diameter limbs is probably a good size to leave them alone if wanted.

Also little 1st and 2nd year trees can die in a flood... I have had none die in a flood once large 2+ yr old.

If you water and fertilize your tree as you should be doing, it will have less yellow leaves during August & Sept. & Oct.

I would stop fertilizing in Oct. and stop watering Jan. 1st. and maybe you will have a 2 month dormant leafless period so that big buds will form on the sticks and spring out at the end of March for berries.

Once the trees are really large, do nothing and let the leaves get yellow and ugly in Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec. and sticks in Jan. Feb. till end of March. and then burst out in growth and berries March, april, may with big beautiful green leaves..... Then let the cycle repeat.