Author Topic: Bael Seedlings turning yellow- thoughts?  (Read 456 times)

Blake_C

• Sacramento, CA
    • View Profile
Bael Seedlings turning yellow- thoughts?
« on: October 15, 2022, 02:27:51 AM »
Hello everyone

I wanted to experiment with Bael trees, living in Sacramento CA I was unable to find any for sale either locally or online with shipping to California so I grew some from seed. I have about 15 seedlings. They did great at first but most of them started to turn pale green/yellow after I repotted them. I was careful to keep them out of direct sunlight during the summer and moved them to direct sun once the temperature started getting more reasonable. Any ideas about what could be wrong?

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
Re: Bael Seedlings turning yellow- thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
Your potting mix looks like it could use a lot more drainage imo.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 02:35:45 PM »
first guess would be iron or calmag deficiencies, maybe due to watering with city water

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 03:51:30 PM »
Since the Bael is a Rutaceae in the same family as Citrus, maybe similar problems / symptoms.
As others have said, a pot mix / nutrient uptake issue.
Apart from drainage as a cause, incorrect pH of the mix causes nutrient uptake problems.
For Citrus, fertiliser with low Phosphorous levels are usually recommended to prevent induced Iron deficiency.
Phosphorous could also come into play by watering with grey water or tap water with water softening agents.
Also some commercial pot mix may have P fertiliser in the bag.
Any problems with Citrus using the same pot mix or same water at the same time/same repot ??
Might also be some dormancy issues for a tropical plant, roots less active to uptake nutrients.
I would probably try some gentle kickstarts like foliar seaweed sprays that might overcome root problems.

Blake_C

• Sacramento, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 01:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Honestly I am not too experienced, have not grown either citrus or subtropicals from seed before

I started using a foliar spray and repotted half of the plants with a citrus potting mix. If it goes well will repot the other ones as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk