Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 56597 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #750 on: February 21, 2024, 04:15:38 PM »
Mine is just starting to make some flowers.  Looks like it will be 1-2 months before it really blooms.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 04:17:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 21, 2024, 04:38:29 PM »
Mines look terrible.  Not sure if it's the cold, Californica rootstock, or too much water.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 21, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »
Mine is just starting to make some flowers.  Looks like it will be 1-2 months before it really blooms.

Hey Brad, looking good and healthy. Did you graft any males onto it yet?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 21, 2024, 10:42:09 PM »
Mines look terrible.  Not sure if it's the cold, Californica rootstock, or too much water.

Hey Max, is your tree in the ground or in a pot? Besides the yellowing, I also see some burnt leaf tips towards the back of your picture. Did your trees have any close contact with the trees imported from China? Iíve noticed that the trees that were imported from China and had root knot nematodes tended to have yellow leaves like yours. I wonder if any cross contamination may have occurred with RKN infested trees?

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2024, 12:11:29 AM »
Simon, I never got a male piece to put on it.  The plant got pretty big.  It may not work that well to hang a male piece on it.  I will probably need to chop it way back to get the new piece to grow. 
Brad Spaugh

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 22, 2024, 02:22:08 AM »

Hey Max, is your tree in the ground or in a pot? Besides the yellowing, I also see some burnt leaf tips towards the back of your picture. Did your trees have any close contact with the trees imported from China? Iíve noticed that the trees that were imported from China and had root knot nematodes tended to have yellow leaves like yours. I wonder if any cross contamination may have occurred with RKN infested trees?

Simon
Hi Simon, the trees are planted in the ground. Itís all grafted on Californica rootstock. The Scions are from China trees.  Iím positively  sure thereís no cross contamination with the RKN infested trees. Hopefully the trees will be better when Spring comes around. As for the burnt leaf tips, I think I threw down too much fertilizer pellets.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2024, 10:35:13 AM »
I have a grafted tree with two varieties on it and one of them is yellowing out super hard while the other isnt.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2024, 10:45:17 AM »
Simon, I never got a male piece to put on it.  The plant got pretty big.  It may not work that well to hang a male piece on it.  I will probably need to chop it way back to get the new piece to grow.

Hey Brad, you can grab some scions from my Hermaphrodite next time youíre in the neighborhood. You could also stop by to collect some pollen if you want to try to get some fruit this year. I would actually recommend doing a high graft for male Yangmei scions grafted onto female varieties because these trees grow so fast and it would be beneficial to have a larger percentage of the tree remain the female variety.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 22, 2024, 10:50:58 AM »

Simon
Hi Simon, the trees are planted in the ground. Itís all grafted on Californica rootstock. The Scions are from China trees.  Iím positively  sure thereís no cross contamination with the RKN infested trees. Hopefully the trees will be better when Spring comes around. As for the burnt leaf tips, I think I threw down too much fertilizer pellets.

Hey Max,

I have noticed that some trees grafted onto Californica rootstock yellowed as it got colder. My Dongkui on Californica started yellowing a bit when I got frost and it seems to be recovering a bit now that the cold has passed and the sun is showing. I have other trees grafted onto Californica rootstock that didnít yellow at all however.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 22, 2024, 11:09:58 AM »
I have a grafted tree with two varieties on it and one of them is yellowing out super hard while the other isnt.

Hey Nate,

Did you check the graft union on both varieties? Iíve had this happen to some of my trees where I rushed my grafting and the union was kinda sloppy. I believe there was a bottleneck effect with the transport of nutrients due to incomplete union formation that caused the slower growth and yellow leaves on my tree.

Simon

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 22, 2024, 01:05:39 PM »

It looks like either not enough Nitrogen or root not getting enough air (water log or compact dirt).

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 22, 2024, 02:12:52 PM »
Seng, your probably right about roots not getting enough air. The soil is very mucky. I should clear the mulch out to let it dry out more.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 22, 2024, 08:01:05 PM »
Seng, your probably right about roots not getting enough air. The soil is very mucky. I should clear the mulch out to let it dry out more.

Another way to get the oxygen in and dry out the soil is to use a stick to punch lots of holes in the ground.