Author Topic: new Wax Apple / Jambu variety "Mận Hồng MST" (aka "Mận Hồng Sóc Trăng")  (Read 1267 times)

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Saw this variety at Mimosa Nursery in Los Angeles recently. They have it listed on their website as well. Googled it to find more information and found an article about it.

Article: https://voh.com.vn/thi-truong/lai-tao-thanh-cong-giong-man-moi-nang-suat-cao-va-dat-tieu-chuan-xuat-khau-429883.html

Translation:

After many times going to participate in the International Fruit and Vegetable Exhibition, and in 2015 once happened to encounter a Taiwan fruit fair booth, in which Mr. Tran Quoc Toan, Director of Ngoc Dinh Import and Export Limited Company, feel most surprised is their fresh plum products, because their plum products look very beautiful, delicious and sweet, especially the selling price of their plum products is not cheap at all. At that time, Vietnamese money was calculated at about 400 thousand VND/kg.

After a trip to visit the fruit fair booth in Taiwan, Mr. Tran Quoc Toan, Director of Ngoc Dinh Import-Export Limited Liability Company based in Hoc Mon District, Ho Chi Minh City, always worries, why our country's plums are very low in price, and their country's plums have a high resale price but dozens of times higher than our country's. It was from those concerns and thoughts that Mr. Tran Quoc Toan researched and visited the models of plum cultivation in Taiwan and studied the varieties, climate and how they cared for them. After visiting this plum variety growing model in your country, Mr. Tran Quoc Toan has summarized a lot of experience from this plum. First, in terms of care, they cover bunches of specialized bag-type plums for plums to avoid pests and yellow flies and more importantly, to minimize the use of pesticides, because their plums have been exported all over the world. In terms of climate, their country is not as favorable as our Vietnam, especially in November to February next year, the weather in winter, the temperature drops, so their plums have to be made as a greenhouse to limit fruit loss and cracking. As for Vietnam, the weather is favorable, we will reduce the cost of greenhouses. Since then, he has successfully learned and bred this plum variety to develop in his home country.

Mr. Tran Quoc Toan, Director of Ngoc Dinh Import and Export Limited Liability Company shared: "In 2018-2019, we also exported to some countries, which were highly appreciated by some partners for our company's plums. This new plum variety is different from many Vietnamese plum varieties today, although it is still red, this plum is more bright red. As for the quality, it is completely different, and the weight of the fruit is from 4-5 fruits/kg. Because this plum itself is a large-fruited variety, we do not need to spray growth drugs or stimulants at all. As for the quality, this plum variety is crispy, firm and very sweet. In particular, this plum variety has drained meat, so it is convenient for export".

It is also because of the realization that this plum tree has a very high economic income and is easy to grow in our country, since 2016, Mr. Tran Quoc Toan, Director of Ngoc Dinh Import and Export Limited Liability Company has researched, bred and planted experimentally, applying fruit packaging techniques like in Taiwan. After a year of planting, the first year each plum tree gives 25-30-kg/tree fruit, the second year gives 70-80kg/tree and from the third year or more will give 150-180kg/tree, the more the tree will bear more fruit. Although he has successfully bred this new plum variety, Mr. Tran Quoc Toan does not keep it for himself, but wishes to widely disseminate it to many people who need technical guidance on cultivation as well as buying plant varieties.

"Through many years of planting and testing, this plum variety has a very stable yield. People who plant and take good care of each hectare will give 80- 100 tons/year if from the 4th year or more. As for the growing time, about 10 to 12 months, the fruit is already given. The planting density is about 500 plants/hectare. Currently, if our selling price in the garden is about 100 to 120 thousand VND/kg, it is normal to give an income of a few billion VND/hectare. We find this to be a very potential plum variety economically. Not only ensuring the life of the family but also can help farmers get rich on this new plum variety", Mr. Tran Quoc Toan added.

In order for newly bred seedlings to be guaranteed in terms of quality and yield, Ngoc Dinh Company has been planting and surveying continuously from 2016 until now, every year the company produces 3 fruits, two opposite crops and one good crop, the rate of flowering, fruiting and development are the same. 'The new plum variety has been registered by Ngoc Dinh Company as an exclusive intellectual property trademark with the trade name plum seedling - Plum Hong MST (the spelling name of ''Plum Hong Soc Trang''.'

Regarding the upcoming orientation and plan, the company will supply seedlings to the market and link a material area of 1,000 hectares or more for planting, processing, packaging and export. According to calculations, this new plum variety is planted with only a selling price of 100-120 thousand VND/kg, it will have an average income of 7-8 billion VND/year/hectare, because the yield and yield of this new plum seedling is very high, if planted in the fourth year or more, one hectare will yield from 80-100 tons/year, this is a crop that will bring very high income and economy to farmers in the near future.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
His hand looks funny. You sure there wasn't shoppity choppity with that picture?

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
His hand looks funny. You sure there wasn't shoppity choppity with that picture?

No idea. It's from the article.

There's videos on YouTube if you search "Mận Hồng MST" which seems to be the trade name. In the videos the fruits look enormous.

Example: https://youtube.com/shorts/RcL9RzuR7pA?si=dhrhk1Nz1vuqgl6r

Video review where he says it's 3 to 4 fruits per kilogram (turn on captions, select "auto translate," select English): https://youtu.be/r2bfQ3zr9Q4?si=hT2OIT0DK2_D1PUE
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 08:20:31 PM by greg_D »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
I brought one from Mimosa earlier this year and it is so vigorous.  Size have been doubled.  Hope I can get some fruits next year.

Kevinthegarden

• SFV CA
    • View Profile
Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up, may have to stop by mimosa in a couple weeks

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up, may have to stop by mimosa in a couple weeks

I'm at the Rosemead location right now, stunning how much stuff they have here

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
I wonder if its better than thai wax green jumbo(taste-wise)?

greenerpasteur

• San Gabriel Valley, 10B, atemoya, wax jambu, seedless guava, mango, sapodilla
    • View Profile
It's a new imported variety from VN. It's supposed to be very low maintenance, easy to fruit, very large 4-5/kg.

There are a few other wax jambu variety that's imported from VN like Tam Hoa, An Phuoc. This is supposed to better than them. I'm tempted to graft to my collection if I have scions but I will have 6 wax jambu.

Here is a youtube video https://youtu.be/CU2LdYOv_q0?si=Bdty1yHHisttM_QA

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
It's a new imported variety from VN. It's supposed to be very low maintenance, easy to fruit, very large 4-5/kg.

There are a few other wax jambu variety that's imported from VN like Tam Hoa, An Phuoc. This is supposed to better than them. I'm tempted to graft to my collection if I have scions but I will have 6 wax jambu.

Here is a youtube video https://youtu.be/CU2LdYOv_q0?si=Bdty1yHHisttM_QA

The Rosemead annd LA mimosa nursery locations also had An Phuoc in stock. Didn't see Tam Hoa

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
Back yard nursery has them. MST probably the only worth getting

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
They look good and big alright. I have a top Thai red, what are supposedly the best green and from Taiwan very good white and orange ones and a purple of unknown provenance. Only the red has fruited so far but I have propagated the living daylights outa them

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
I wonder how does MST compare to that wax green jumbo(except the size & color but in terms of flavor & sweetness)?

greenerpasteur

• View Profile
I wonder how does MST compare to that wax green jumbo(except the size & color but in terms of flavor & sweetness)?

Thai jumbo is hollow inside, has seeds, and medium sweetness. It's also a little tart. It's an excellent wax jumbo that I have 3 trees. I also have black gold, black diamond, and red rocket

MST is supposed to be dense, juicy, very tiny seed almost seedless and sweeter.

Lqte

• USA, CA/Orange County, Brea, 10
    • View Profile
I got one from Mimosa nursery today, he told me not to plant until next Spring but I really can’t wait since the temperature is so good recently, hope I will have some good news next year

Metom

• So cal
    • View Profile
Look at my crazy little mst. Purchased April of this year.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Due to this thread I purchased this last month and it already seems vigorous like others have mentioned. Now my Thai is a little rusty but I've seen online that this variety is also referred to as "Red Whip" in english. Trying to make a label for it should I just leave the variety as "Thai Plum"?

greg_D

• Long Beach, California
    • View Profile
I think people make up trade names for these varieties when they sell them in English speaking markets. I would just keep the original name to avoid future confusion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk