Author Topic: Greenhouse within a greenhouse for ultratropicals?  (Read 1456 times)

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse within a greenhouse for ultratropicals?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2023, 04:09:22 PM »
Fruit nut,
I am very interested in your bees. I had looked at this a long time ago as an experiment for my passion fruit trellis. At the time I had major fruit fly infestation with my worm bin and also had a bit of a spill of vermicompost juice in my basement which stunk up my whole house. My wife was not a fan of more insect experiments so I decided to abandon the idea.

I can’t remember before if u told me the size of your gh? Do you have any good reading material on bumblebees? Any way of developing a stable population ina greenhouse? With the carpenter bees theyd produce offspring which need winter chill hours that I thought I could replicate in the fridge. And I think they live for longer than 5 weeks.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2023, 04:30:14 PM »
Would be cool to figure out bumblebees. You could get a nuc hive of honey bees and just let it die off or not let it grow bigger, I guess. They may swarm though, so, probably a little high risk for this particular set-up. A nuc can be had for $200-$300 and is pretty small, but will go get the job done. Just make sure you close the door to the GH when you have bees!

I am loving having a colony and it has become just as much a part of my garden as any other plant or maintenance job. Absolutely adore seeing them zoom around.

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2023, 05:05:52 PM »
K,
Colony of honey or bumblebees? I’ve heard that honey bees swarm but others don’t? My outdoor garden is very much “native” focused so I try to creat habitats for non honeybee varieties.if u have a colony of bumblebees I’d love to hear your secrets.

I think I’ve got a new topic to discuss now

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2023, 05:17:50 PM »
K,
Colony of honey or bumblebees? I’ve heard that honey bees swarm but others don’t? My outdoor garden is very much “native” focused so I try to creat habitats for non honeybee varieties.if u have a colony of bumblebees I’d love to hear your secrets.

I think I’ve got a new topic to discuss now

I have honey bees. About to go into my first swarming season in about 3-4 weeks so hopefully I can capture them and make them mine again! Basically all honey bee colonies are guaranteed to swarm at some point.

Bumblebees are much smaller colonies, and live on the ground.