Author Topic: Mango bloom and fruit set under tree irrigation  (Read 1048 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango bloom and fruit set under tree irrigation
« on: February 10, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »
Last mango season I got a paper from a tree purchase that recommended twice a week irrigation during bloom and fruit set. I was conducting an experiment with different micro jet sprinklers I have. The recommended minimum Riser height for a mini wobbler is 1.5 ft . First to test was Skyhawk rotor rain with deflector. It cast a radius of 6 ft. Next was Skyhawk Roto rain standard. It's radius was 12 ft. Final test mini warbler cast a radius of 20 ft. All three of these micro jet sprinklers will be good for different size tree canopies. Which leads me to my question. Reading about Citrus irrigation there is a lot of variables such as soil sand particle size because of leaching and migration of water away from root Zone. My first instinct was quick fast in a hurry which may not be the smart move because of my inpatients. So what would you all recommend as far as gallons per minute or hour on Mango irrigation. Approximate duration and total gallons.

Courtesy courtesy of TAF.
Yes I know Magoo photography

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:56:53 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Re: Mango bloom and fruit set under tree irrigation
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 07:04:45 PM »
Good question.  My 1st thought was Anthracnose invite lol.
I'd think garden hose for a minute is plenty on non giants.
I'm considering watering mine with some K.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 07:30:28 PM »
You do not want extra water spraying on flowers and fruit.

In addition to limiting sprinkler use in general, I block sprinklers when mangoes are flowering and fruiting, so only the base of trees get sprayed.

Drip irrigation would be better. I usually hand water if the rain doesn't provide enough, during flowering or fruiting times.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2023, 08:31:15 PM »
Australia, almost all mango growers use under-tree micro-sprinkler systems. There were a number of growers who trialled drip irrigation, but sooner or later they all changed to a micro-sprinkler system. The driving forces for the change have been ease of field management and reduced need for water filtration and treatment when using sprinklers
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 09:09:52 PM »
Sprinklers are fine as long as you aren't spraying low hanging flowers or fruit, or if you don't care about the lower fruit

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 09:23:59 PM »
There is a difference in Central Florida water absorption then in South Florida. The limestone can cause the water to pool or stand for a longer duration then for us folks at higher elevations. I am at 62 ft above sea level. How deep is the sand in southeast Florida, when there is sand? According to the Florida soil survey, the sand is not as deep as you might think. It is only about 3 to 4 feet. Below the sand (or organic material) is limestone. The survey refers to the limestone as part of the Biscayne aquifer, and it specifies the limestone as “Miami Limestone.” The depth to limestone can be inches. So under tree irrigation which is common practice in the Citrus industry would probably work with our mango trees. When they recommend certain varieties not for the interior I think they're referring to the interior of South Florida next to the Everglades. Yes the humidity can be higher in Central Florida but with better drainage and afternoon breezes I don't see the anthracnose issue as prevalent here.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 09:36:20 PM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2023, 10:50:07 PM »
Reading about Citrus and different types of soil I think I'm going to go with a light blue mini wobbler for 15 minutes. Twice a week on Wednesday and the Lord's Day.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 10:57:33 PM by bovine421 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 11:23:26 PM »
If you really want to be technical you could purchase a tensiometer (soil moisture sensor). That is what we used when we grew blueberries many years ago. 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2023, 01:34:43 PM »
If you really want to be technical you could purchase a tensiometer (soil moisture sensor). That is what we used when we grew blueberries many years ago.

Did you use something like this Galatians From preliminary reading the digital ones can be not so accurate

Little Gem

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2023, 10:16:00 PM »

Did you use something like this Galatians From preliminary reading the digital ones can be not so accurate

Little Gem

Yep, that's the one. I have no experience with the digital. It does not appear to have changed much in 20+ years. I believe that we got ours from Frostproof Grower Supply originally. It might be worth a trip over there (or a call) even if you can get it cheaper on-line just for the knowledge they can provide. Keep in mind that the reading comes from the ceramic base at the bottom. If that base is 18" deep that is where your reading is coming from. As I recall, the groves would water when the reading got to 20. You can always adjust if you see the trees look thirsty.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 06:51:01 PM »

Little Gem

Yep, that's the one. I have no experience with the digital. It does not appear to have changed much in 20+ years. I believe that we got ours from Frostproof Grower Supply originally. It might be worth a trip over there (or a call) even if you can get it cheaper on-line just for the knowledge they can provide. Keep in mind that the reading comes from the ceramic base at the bottom. If that base is 18" deep that is where your reading is coming from. As I recall, the groves would water when the reading got to 20. You can always adjust if you see the trees look thirsty.
Well I switched over from frost protection to undertree bloom and fruit set irrigation. Wednesday was the first watering for 17 minutes as I hand watered other plants. Most of my trees are starting to bloom now weeks behind South Florida. Thanks for the information Galatians you've been very helpful to the progress of my Grove over the years.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:32:31 AM by bovine421 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2023, 09:32:46 PM »
I'm glad its been helpful to you. Most of it is just what I have learned from other people over the years.