Author Topic: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan  (Read 35369 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Pedalai looks like a giant rambutan
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2015, 04:01:57 AM »
They get pruned early to prevent pole like uprights and force more lateral branches . I would only be guessing but 5 years after planting out should be the start of fruiting and that tree is more than 10 years maybe a few more than 10.These are the last fruit on there and it must have had a few 3 times as many that have finished.
Growing in pots is not easy for big species.If this specimen was chopped back,dug up and stuck in a giant pot it would be easier than growing in a pot from the start.To be honest I would need to defer to the expertise of seasoned potters. Or is that potheads?

I think your guess is way off the mark. Not saying that there can't be some very unsual precocious trees that fruit in 5 years, just like there are some very precocious girls that have a baby when they are 12 years old. But i don't think that is the average wait time.

And there he is again, mister knowitall who even starts slandering if he has never seen it on his mountain. You ain't seen nothing yet!  When will you learn how to use Google? You owe us apologises for all the wrong info you gave here.

5. Fruit Keledang
Keledang fruit including fruit rare earth Borneo. The exact shape jackfruit.Demikianpun meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit from forgotten along with the exhaustion of natural forests. The tree can reach 30 feet tall and wide and slightly hairy leaves. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting.Growing up in different types of soil and is generally tropical jungle filled with humus.

http://wildadventure-centralborneoisland.blogspot.com/2013/02/25-rare-fruit-of-borneo.html

Fruit Keledang including rare earth fruit of Borneo. The shape is exactly the jackfruit. Likewise meat-bu. Just a mini size. keledang is a fruit that starts forgotten along with endless natural forests. The tree can reach 30 meters tall and broad-leaved and slightly hairy. Keledang tree can bear fruit since 5 years after planting
http://megalaxi.mywapblog.com/category/on-the-spot-1/1.xhtml

Dorgon lover, sorry to tell you this. But i have already more experience than you will ever have, even if you continue growing bonsai pots in your Bangkok condodiminium until you are 85 years old. I think it is you who should apologize to everyone for blowing so much loads of hot air, pretending you know about things you know absolutely nothing about, and even more so for moronic things like recommending scammers like Dorgon on this forum. I guess you like it when Dorgon burns people on this forum? :o

Yup, we all know how arrogant you are.

Pohon keledang dapat berbuah sejak 5 tahun  setelah tanam

http://www.vivaborneo.com/buah-keledang-yang-terlupakan.htm

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=buah+keledang+5+tahun
Here look how many websites tell the same but of course the slandering seedman from Hawaii knows it better.  ;D ;D

The more you talk the dumber you sound. Why don't you give up while you're ahead? You somehow seem to forget that this whole discussion was originally about pedalai? You made the claim that it can fruit in 3 years based on one nursery website from Florida saying that is the case, a nursery that has no experience in fruiting that plant, because as other Florida members have pointed out NOBODY has fruited pedalai in all of Florida. Now you are suddenly switching to talking about keledang and saying how right you are because you googled and found some sites that say it can fruit in 5 years? What a nitwit! Your only experience is in searching around the internet with google. But everyone but you seems to know that a lot of the information on the internet is incorrect. Dorgon lover it is not slander to call a dummy a dummy. Keep talking and make yourself sound even dumber! Tell us more about your mangosteen that fruits in only 18 months.
Oscar

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
I've seen website that have said it should be easy to grow durian in florida. And tons of other ridiculous things. Do what you want bangkok and if by some miracle you get a keledang or pedalai to fruit in 5 years or in a potwe will make you president of the forum and you will rule decree.
- David Antonio Garcia

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »
I've seen website that have said it should be easy to grow durian in florida. And tons of other ridiculous things. Do what you want bangkok and if by some miracle you get a keledang or pedalai to fruit in 5 years or in a potwe will make you president of the forum and you will rule decree.

I don't get it.

Mike and the Queensland fruitclub say it takes 5 years for keledang.
Loads of Indo/Malay websites tell the same.

And you don't believe it?

No durian doesn't fruit in the USA because it's not the True Tropical climate. Durian also fruits much faster here then in Hawaii. Look at how much fruit is on those indo websites, never heard of those growing on hawaii or florida in the forest. Florida has oranges which we can't grow properly here and peaches.

I also have eugenia's and i expect them to fruit early. I'm not Thai but they are the real masters in getting tree's to fruit early and very small. And best of all: They don't have an attitude.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
The grower in the picture told me this morning that the pictured keledang is only 5 years old now from planting out time and was grafted onto jackfruit which stunted it.He now grafts onto keledang and grafted specimens fruit quite quickly.
He advised 5 years is the absolute  minimum fruiting time after planting out for seedlings of several similar  artocarpus in the Mission Beach and Tully area.10 to 20 years is typical for plants left to their own devices and 5 years is only true with a specific fertilizer regime and fertile soil.Trees in poor soil and never fertilized or getting supplementary dry season water might never fruit. I didn't get the run down on pedalai but they no doubt would take longer.
He does have grafted espaliered durian fruiting within 5 years.These earliest possible times could probably be doubled for what is typical of even well cared for trees.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Oh yeah the Kwai muks even with extra K,Mg  and calcium took 10 years for seedlings to fruit.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
It was a long response from the grower and re reading I will add a few points.He actually does say pedalai takes much longer,keledang is quite fast comparatively and grafted Kwai muks can take 3 years to start.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2015, 07:33:50 PM »

I don't get it.

Mike and the Queensland fruitclub say it takes 5 years for keledang.
Loads of Indo/Malay websites tell the same.

And you don't believe it?

No durian doesn't fruit in the USA because it's not the True Tropical climate. Durian also fruits much faster here then in Hawaii. Look at how much fruit is on those indo websites, never heard of those growing on hawaii or florida in the forest. Florida has oranges which we can't grow properly here and peaches.

I also have eugenia's and i expect them to fruit early. I'm not Thai but they are the real masters in getting tree's to fruit early and very small. And best of all: They don't have an attitude.

Did you ever take the minute to notice that Mike said he guessed that it fruited in 5 years? Do you know why he said the word "guess"? Because he's never fruited it himself. Mike also claimed in previous posts that durian should not be hard to fruit in Florida. Yet nobody has ever done it. One night that Adam left his Durio macrantha, the one claimed by Mike to be cold hardiest, it was toast when exposed to only 38F. Mike is a great guy, but he tends to be rather optimistic in his guesses. Also people should note that most of the photos he takes and posts are from fruits he buys at Farmer's markets or from other growers, not from his own backyard. He's said as much many times yet many think he's growing all these fruits in his back yard.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2015, 08:13:18 PM »
I have only about 100 trees not counting counting all the smaller ones and veggies and replace non performers routinely.I don't plant giants and easy to get stuff, or what people I know we'll grow if I can get them easily. I have a lot of long term fruit growing friends and the farmers referred to are actually friends or there are long term connections.The people I get fruit from in the market mostly I know reasonably well but I have to buy some fruits. Swapping also gets me a fair bit.

I probably have been optimistic with cold tolerances and time to first fruiting.We all extrapolate from what we have seen read and from what we are told.The durian example was from looking at a large report that evaluated factors including cold tolerance of clones. I see fruiting durians at altitude on the Atherton Tablelands and check the lower temps they must have tolerated.I look at the Miami profile for weather compare to laplae, other places I know and the written material and think why not.  Soil aside and how prolonged these temps are I was surprised when Adams macrantha seedling died in 38f.Seedlings in pots may not be the ideal measure.
I have actually seen many trees progress to fruiting from planting and can document exact time frames.The 5 years fro9m planting out until fruiting for mangosteen and durian happened in my yard twice for each.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »
Adam should have grown the durian in full soil, not in a pot. Soil temp stays a few degree's warmer under grond. At a depth of about 70-80 cm soil rarely freezes or it has to be in Siberia. In Holland the waterlines are dug 70 cm deep and never freeze.

So now it's Mike fault right?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »
Adam should have grown the durian in full soil, not in a pot. Soil temp stays a few degree's warmer under grond. At a depth of about 70-80 cm soil rarely freezes or it has to be in Siberia. In Holland the waterlines are dug 70 cm deep and never freeze.

I don't think he reads what we post
- David Antonio Garcia

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2015, 01:04:16 AM »
It takes about four to over six years for a newly planted durian tree to begin to bear fruit. The time depends on the species of the tree. The larger the size of the fruit, the longer the time needed. The tree begins to blossom in early or mid-December and the fruits will be ready for gathering from mid-May to mid-July, again depending on species. The price varies from 25 baht to over 100 baht a kilogram according to the species and the season as well.

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/thai_fruits/thai_fruits_durian.html

Warning: Asian website! (If you are American you should not believe this info).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2015, 01:48:50 AM »

Nobody's fool giving more advice to a nurseryman?  :o  I thought the dodo was already extinct? ;) FYI it was air temperatures that killed Adam's durian plant in Florida, not soil temperature. A few hours of  38F are not going to make soil temperatures go down more than a couple of degrees, especially when it was inside of his greenhouse. I guess you didn't read that post either??  ::)
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »

Nobody's fool giving more advice to a nurseryman?  :o  I thought the dodo was already extinct? ;) FYI it was air temperatures that killed Adam's durian plant in Florida, not soil temperature. A few hours of  38F are not going to make soil temperatures go down more than a couple of degrees, especially when it was inside of his greenhouse. I guess you didn't read that post either??  ::)

How do you know it wasn't the soil temperature that killed the rootstock? Did you measure it?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:15 AM »
I have only about 100 trees not counting counting all the smaller ones and veggies and replace non performers routinely.I don't plant giants and easy to get stuff, or what people I know we'll grow if I can get them easily. I have a lot of long term fruit growing friends and the farmers referred to are actually friends or there are long term connections.The people I get fruit from in the market mostly I know reasonably well but I have to buy some fruits. Swapping also gets me a fair bit.

I probably have been optimistic with cold tolerances and time to first fruiting.We all extrapolate from what we have seen read and from what we are told.The durian example was from looking at a large report that evaluated factors including cold tolerance of clones. I see fruiting durians at altitude on the Atherton Tablelands and check the lower temps they must have tolerated.I look at the Miami profile for weather compare to laplae, other places I know and the written material and think why not.  Soil aside and how prolonged these temps are I was surprised when Adams macrantha seedling died in 38f.Seedlings in pots may not be the ideal measure.
I have actually seen many trees progress to fruiting from planting and can document exact time frames.The 5 years fro9m planting out until fruiting for mangosteen and durian happened in my yard twice for each.

Mike we had a mangosteen farmer from Australia give a talk at a fruit conference here. He told us that of 1000 mangosteen trees he planted on his farm about 5% fruited in five years. About 80% fruited in about 8 years. This was with a very consistent and heavy fertilizer program. In very large populations of trees you can see that there is a big difference from fruiting times of individual precocious trees and the average time it takes most trees to fruit.
Oscar

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2015, 01:57:05 AM »

Mike we had a mangosteen farmer from Australia give a talk at a fruit conference here. He told us that of 1000 mangosteen trees he planted on his farm about 5% fruited in five years. About 80% fruited in about 8 years. This was with a very consistent and heavy fertilizer program. In very large populations of trees you can see that there is a big difference from fruiting times of individual precocious trees and the average time it takes most trees to fruit.

We need names, numbers, websites and so on. Who believes info from your thumb?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
There is a fruit grown around Mission Beach that is becoming very well accepted by visitors.
http://www.missionbeachtourism.com/blog/2013/04/29/the-keledang/

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »
There is a fruit grown around Mission Beach that is becoming very well accepted by visitors.

The strange thing is that our Indo members who sell the seeds only mention that they are nice, they never mention this one to be excellent or special.
Keledang has less flesh then a pedalai is what i read. I wished the Indo/Malay members replied more on the main forum instead of only selling seeds. I am very interested in their experience in growing fruit.

I pruned my pedalai 2 days ago and it allready has sidebranches now. I will graft some on the big jackfruit tree to see what happens.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2015, 11:39:32 AM »
The grower in the picture told me this morning that the pictured keledang is only 5 years old now from planting out time and was grafted onto jackfruit which stunted it.He now grafts onto keledang and grafted specimens fruit quite quickly.
He advised 5 years is the absolute  minimum fruiting time after planting out for seedlings of several similar  artocarpus in the Mission Beach and Tully area.10 to 20 years is typical for plants left to their own devices and 5 years is only true with a specific fertilizer regime and fertile soil.Trees in poor soil and never fertilized or getting supplementary dry season water might never fruit. I didn't get the run down on pedalai but they no doubt would take longer.
He does have grafted espaliered durian fruiting within 5 years.These earliest possible times could probably be doubled for what is typical of even well cared for trees.
Mike Great pics and info on the keledang
Grafted onto jackfruit sounds like a good thing to do.  Do you know if it is a type of normal graft that's done? Or some side,approach, or ?
Our keledang hasn't flowered again...it's on the backside of my outhouse..so I'm thinking its getting some good amounts of fertilizer..35ft. .it's neighbors are encroaching on its sunlight...durian,Mafai, Kwai muk, Thai long kong...now which one do i cull to give light?  Hard choices...  If I prune keledang will it be happy in partial shade of durian?  Should I slowly haircut all trees?
Bangcock and Oscar keep up the good debate:). Maybe we make seperate post "members battle royal". Your guys passion for fruit really inspires me with smiles.  I know Oscar is for real.  I wonder if opponent is fo real.  want to see a pic of you Bangcock.  Make sure we can see your pinky finger on both side.
Yea David, push the limits.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2015, 05:32:24 PM »

The taste has a cloying finish? That doesn't sound superb to me. Usually people here use the term cloying as a put down, as in way too sweet.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2015, 04:47:26 AM »

My size 11 hoof beside the hairy round pedalai type with the smaller leaves and the big leaf kind is in the other pic.These 2 types are reputed to have the largest and best fruit.There are some keledang in the photo also of the good variety.
Sorry about the bad shots as it is dark here now.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2015, 04:52:24 AM »

They are getting eaten by visitors fast and this keledang has missing sections.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2015, 05:28:17 AM »
Nice and big pedalai! What is eating the fruits? Do bats eat them?
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
Oscar I meant due to poor pollination a keledang was mis-shapen and had reduced sections as you can see in the picture.I have a really big over ripe pedalai kept aside for seeds that dwarfs the rest.Even the small ones of these 2 varieties are a good size.
They come from Peter Selleras who dropped by unexpectedly and on his farm white tailed rats (huge) eat the seeds out of these artocarpus and cassowaries eat them as well.Flying foxes,Nyctimines,striped possums,pigs,rainbow Lorikeets and white cockatoos, cause most fruit grief.

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »
Tried Pedalai yesterday. It had a caramelized sweet onion taste.  Wife's opinion (without tasting) "Why would you want to grow that?"... well, because its different and could be more of a dinner dish than a desert dish.

Was thinking of growing the seeds to graft. Anyone graft the Pedalai? Does it slow the growth, and decrease the number of years to fruiting?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
They are actually sweet and pleasant without any savoury or onion taste going on.Maybe the fruit sampled was not up to par for some reason.