Author Topic: Does any fruit ripen in spring? (Zone 10A)  (Read 2067 times)

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Does any fruit ripen in spring? (Zone 10A)
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2023, 10:33:31 PM »
They will love M.nigra but the tree really despises the humidity.

Interesting. It charges super hard here in California. Sad to hear it's not for FL, it really is excellent.
In the coastal parts it may succeed, but the margins are slim. Houston is a no-go, way too wet. In a greenhouse in Hill Country, it might be great.
Oh good point. I'll ask my sister if she'll plant one on a property she has up there

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2023, 10:51:02 AM »
This is an interesting discussion about mulberries in Florida. I bought one many years ago at Home Depot labeled as M. nigra and it is almost bulletproof. I had always thought that one of the defining features of M. nigra was that it didn't have seeds. I have never seen seeds in mine (although I have noticed tiny seeds in the Pakistani mulberry that I obtained from Pine Island Nursery many years later). I believe that Pakistani is a M. alba cultivar (which to my understanding does have seeds). I wonder if nematodes are the issue instead of humidity?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2023, 04:47:43 PM »
This is an interesting discussion about mulberries in Florida. I bought one many years ago at Home Depot labeled as M. nigra and it is almost bulletproof. I had always thought that one of the defining features of M. nigra was that it didn't have seeds. I have never seen seeds in mine (although I have noticed tiny seeds in the Pakistani mulberry that I obtained from Pine Island Nursery many years later). I believe that Pakistani is a M. alba cultivar (which to my understanding does have seeds). I wonder if nematodes are the issue instead of humidity?

I understand Florida has a different type of RKN than we have in San Diego. My mulberry tree is planted in an RKN infested area, but shows no issues above ground.

The defining phenotypes of M.nigra are black buds when dormant, very juicy berries with high acid, poor performance outside of dry climates.

If pollinated with a male M.nigra they produce fertile seed, mine have a crunch to them, but never produce viable seed.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2023, 10:23:00 PM »

I understand Florida has a different type of RKN than we have in San Diego. My mulberry tree is planted in an RKN infested area, but shows no issues above ground.

The defining phenotypes of M.nigra are black buds when dormant, very juicy berries with high acid, poor performance outside of dry climates.

If pollinated with a male M.nigra they produce fertile seed, mine have a crunch to them, but never produce viable seed.

After researching your comments, I have discovered that my supposed nigra is probably an alba or a hybrid. And that the Pakistani mulberry is not an alba either but is a 4th species that I had never heard of --Morus macroura.

https://cultivar.guide/mulberry

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its good to get things straightened out even if it took 25 years.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2023, 12:52:09 AM »

After researching your comments, I have discovered that my supposed nigra is probably an alba or a hybrid. And that the Pakistani mulberry is not an alba either but is a 4th species that I had never heard of --Morus macroura.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Its good to get things straightened out even if it took 25 years.

You're welcome. This kind of mislabeling is rampant in the nursery industry. I recommend you try the real nigra, they're really impressive.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2023, 02:04:49 AM »

You're welcome. This kind of mislabeling is rampant in the nursery industry. I recommend you try the real nigra, they're really impressive.
If you have one to sell my sister has offered a Hill Country spot for it 😁

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2023, 02:47:36 AM »

If you have one to sell my sister has offered a Hill Country spot for it 😁
I have tried on numerous occasions to root Persian cuttings without success. That said I know it grafts well to white mulberry as that's what mine is grafted to, and I have had success grafting it to alba.

If she starts now with some rootstock, I may be able to ship cuttings when the dormant season arrives.
Also Harvey Correia has many cultivars of nigra and does sell them if you let him know sometime in December.

Rispa

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »
I've got some really tasty seedling white mulberry that I am growing that I could probably graft it on to. A neighbor literally had the tree grow up against her house and had no idea what it was. I wonder if that would work.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
but do overlook commonly planted ones like Cot-n-candy.

What's wrong please?