Author Topic: garcinia  (Read 13352 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: garcinia
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 10:06:49 AM »
Oscar...I thought the "laterfolia" was misidentified as brasiliensis by Bryan and others but later determined to be laterifolia?  There are all kinds of publications from independent to government and they all refer to laterfolia.  How is this a name error and not accepted?  Is plantlist.org the lead dog on naming?  I see where some still refer to this as brasiliensis.  I've always seen Whitman's cherichuela referred to as garcinia spp.  I also see the achachairu referred to as garcinia sp.  This is terrible that such an important fruit family of plants can be left in such a state of confusion.  So if laterfolia is not recognized as a proper name, why do these pubs continue to use it?  So one can assume that garcinia sp/spp is given to a plant that they have no idea how to name yet?  I know this horse has been beat to death and beyond but it seems to just get more confusing each day that goes by.  I like laterifolia.  It has a nice ring to it.  All in favor?!!!  Say Aye!   ???

Plantlist.org is not the lead list in naming. Their website even says "The Plant List is not perfect and represents work in progress. Our aim was to produce a ‘best effort’ list by 2010 to demonstrate progress and stimulate further work." That seems to mean that they are collecting the information from other sources and not a primary source themselves. So to answer your question Jay... Aye!

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
Aye!
Harri Lorenzi, Luiz Bacher, Marco Lacerda, and Sergio Sartori call achachairu "Rheedia Laterifolia.
Those guys are well respected and well known in the tropical fruit field.  Achachairu has been called all kinds of names.  My understanding is that this fruit comes from Santa Cruz, Bolivia.  I call it "Garcinia Laterifolia" and the common name, I use "Achachairu" which is the same name the Bolivians call it.  The Bolivians even have a big festival to honor this fruit. 

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
Adam, no such thing as Garacinia santa cruz. I was calling it Achachairu from Santa Cruz to distinguish this fruit from other achachairus in Bolivia. All the rheedia species in Bolivia are called achachairu. There is also no such thing as Garcinia laterifolia. This is a name error, it is not an accepted name.  (See plantlist. org)So for now this plant has no official latin name. I'm just calling it Rheedia sp. or Garcinia sp.
It's a nice fruit but in my opinion not as good as a mangosteen, but sure is easier and faster than mangosteen.
Oscar

THANKS OSCAR :) :) :)

Glad u clarified this for me!!!  I thought that the name santa cruz was no where to be found in txt i've read and looked like laterifolia....glad to be getting more of these!....do you think that is the fruit in the picture Noel posted?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 04:10:48 PM »
Yes this fruit was misidentified in the book about Puerto Rico fruits as Rheedia brasilensis. Rheedia brasilensis, or now Garcinia brasilensis, looks nothing like the achachairu from Santa Cruz, it looks very similar to Rheedia edulis, now called Garcinia intermedia or lemon drop mangosteen. These authors know this is a mistake.
Lorenzi made a mistake in his book also by calling it G. laterifolia. I notified Lorenzi and he is aware of this mistake in his book. Lorenzi actually just followed the mistake made by previous author Vasquez in a book about Bolivian fruits. I've done a lot of research on this fruit and how it has been mistakenly identified by a whole bunch of authors. There were very many long threads about this in the Yahoo rarefruit group. Don't want to go into all the details, but basically, it seems that somewhere along the line this fruit was mistakenly thought to be Rheedia lateriflora. Some authors then made a typo and started calling it Rheedia laterifolia. Yes botanists and taxonomists make typos believe it or not! Has happened many times with this fruit. Anyway, it is not Rheedia lateriflora, which is a fruit from Jamaica that looks totally different, and now renamed Garcinia humilis. The name Rheedia laterifolia or Garcinia laterifolia does not exist as it was never suggested, entered, on any existing taxonomical record. Plantlist.org is a very good website. What it does is enter all the official names from Kew gardens and Missouri botanical gardens. Each one of these places has only some plant families covered, so by combining the two lists plantlist.org has most plant families covered. You can also trace back to original websites and taxonomical records.
Yes Adam the fruit photo on this forum is of Achachairu from Santa Cruz. Locally i am calling this Bolivian mangosteen, just easier for gringos to remember.  ;)
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 02:07:30 AM »
hey Garcinia growing group members,

here is a pic of my G. madruno trying to push out some new growth.

I notice the new leaves are sensitive to malformation and distortion!  I'm trying to figure out how to make them come out flawless...it's been a challenge.

I've got a ways to go, but i'm very happy its not chlorotic!

any others got any good news about garcinias now?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:29 AM »
Nice frog!

My good Garcinia news is that my Mangosteen made it through another winter with barely a scratch (and with minimal care), so I'm on a Garcinia high  ;D
Only around 20 more years to go until I can expect fruit in this location  :P

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 02:12:22 AM »
Yikes! Now I'm going to find him and kill him..thanks for pointing him out, you've done a great service...those frogs are invasive.

LOL..Just kidding..I'm not going to kill it..but that's why I stopped pointing out animals...they always get poked at or killed right after I do. 

Nice job noticing the frog BTW! I had no idea!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 02:21:16 AM »
Is it a tree frog? What kind is it?
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:33 AM »
cuban
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
I've got a ways to go, but i'm very happy its not chlorotic!

I am having a bit of this problem with my mangosteen,  I had a small plant that was doing very well, was even doing well in full sunlight,  then it sent out its first set of branches, after that it started started getting chlorotic, the new leaves are yellowing and didn't get as large as they should, I moved the plant to partial shade.

Any ideas on what this is all about? I have little experience with these. could it be that there was too much stress from the new growth? not enough fertilizer? 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »
sound like a micro nutrition or ph problem.

they don't like full sun until they're a bit older I hear.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »
Since I started late in this group , I am trying to catch up on the older postings that appeal to me .

I have most of the common Garcinias and Rheedias . All doing very well .
Still missing is the Cherapu , had seeds from Ecuador years ago ...don't know what went wrong ...
One that is a very slow grower is the gardneriana and I remember this being a fruit that I really liked .
I have a G. cochichinensis that is 4 times the size of the gardneriana , same age...

On another note , having tasted quite a few Garcinias , except the ' sweet ' ones all the rest can be categorized between slightly acid / sour going to extremely acid / sour , most do have this pleasant lemony taste .

The now famous achachairu , from La Santa Cruz , Bolivia is a little different , for me it has a ' spicy ' note , to tell you the truth , my wife , in the Achachairu and Luc's Mexican Garcinia  tasting contest preferred the Achachairu ......( 4 votes went to the Mexican , 1 to Bolivia but then again she is always contrary ...LOL...)
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk