Author Topic: what species you've airlayered?  (Read 18285 times)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: what species you've airlayered?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »
Never tried to air layer citrus,Ive done mango,starfruit,lychee,longan,macadamia nut and a couple others,I have some customers with some pretty cool citrus,guess when I get done air layering my own stuff this spring ,I will have to go on a citrus quest!wonder if that works with tangelos,I have 1 tangelo in ground that is awesome,my only citrus left that is in ground,will have to play around and see,anyone have decent luck in south fl air layering citrus??

I think propagating citrus by grafting and air layering without following a strict set of guidelines has been illegal for the past few years. Since you have a nursery, I wouldn't risk breaking the law over a citrus tree.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 10:25:23 PM »
ya

citrus is easy to propagate via cuttings and airlayers...
but you're an outlaw if you do it without permission from the state.

seeds are ok though.

Never tried to air layer citrus,Ive done mango,starfruit,lychee,longan,macadamia nut and a couple others,I have some customers with some pretty cool citrus,guess when I get done air layering my own stuff this spring ,I will have to go on a citrus quest!wonder if that works with tangelos,I have 1 tangelo in ground that is awesome,my only citrus left that is in ground,will have to play around and see,anyone have decent luck in south fl air layering citrus??

I think propagating citrus by grafting and air layering without following a strict set of guidelines has been illegal for the past few years. Since you have a nursery, I wouldn't risk breaking the law over a citrus tree.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:33 AM »
I've air layered guavas. They're so easy to air-layer, unbelievably easy. I'm still looking for that super productive, very large, seedless guava cultivar of my dreams.  ::)
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 06:14:12 AM »
Hi, Ficus carica roots quite fast...by marcotting  ;) And, it's bullet proof ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:37 PM »
Yeah. I've seen people use old clothing to stabilize the trunk to stakes and the trunk sent out roots into the rain-soaked clothing.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

well that's certainly a bummer,I wasn't interested in selling citrus,but was looking to add a couple of cool things to my own place,last thing I need are the citrus gestapo busting my chops,besides I wouldn't know where I could even fit one,to many other goodies out there I would rather have anyway!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
Yeah. I've seen people use old clothing to stabilize the trunk to stakes and the trunk sent out roots into the rain-soaked clothing.

Hi Fang,
That's wicked 8) I know they root like Loco, when they hit moisture.  :o Though, the wet cloth thing...is a first for me ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
well that's certainly a bummer,I wasn't interested in selling citrus,but was looking to add a couple of cool things to my own place,last thing I need are the citrus gestapo busting my chops,besides I wouldn't know where I could even fit one,to many other goodies out there I would rather have anyway!

Yup, it sucks. The law doesn't make much sense because greening and canker are here to stay and they readily spread without human assistance already so it shouldn't be illegal for us to propagate citrus. They may have some reasoning that I am unaware of though. Even homeowners aren't allowed to propagate for their own yard.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:09 PM »

Yup, it sucks. The law doesn't make much sense because greening and canker are here to stay and they readily spread without human assistance already so it shouldn't be illegal for us to propagate citrus. They may have some reasoning that I am unaware of though. Even homeowners aren't allowed to propagate for their own yard.
It's govt, if they made sense it wouldn't be govt.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:31 PM »
Citrus is still restricted in FL?! I thought the authorities had given up. How could you do any more than what's already done?
For California they released a wasp that's supposed to target the psyllid. I've seen psyllids around but they weren't dead like in the photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk