Author Topic: anyone heard of marang fruiting in a container  (Read 7371 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
anyone heard of marang fruiting in a container
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »
and anyone heard of a marang fruiting in Fl or CA (whether in a container or not)
thinking of buying a tree. anyone know of  source that ships?

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: anyone heard of marang fruiting in a container
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
I'll let you know how the fruit is in a few more years. 8)  I can toss a seedling in w/your pulasan if you'd like.

-Ethan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
and anyone heard of a marang fruiting in Fl or CA (whether in a container or not)
thinking of buying a tree. anyone know of  source that ships?

I havent heard of it, but can guarantee it can be done, in a 45-75 gal container though.  I was thinking of trying...

but be warned you are growing a tree that's similar in growth habit and height (maybe smaller) as jackfruit (which can be fruited in a pot 50-75 gal, smallest Ive heard of).

quoted from Toptropicals.com below

Growing

In tropical climate this evergreen tree grows to 60 ft tall, in subtropical areas it won't grow as tall and can stay under 20 ft. Marang can be grown in container inside a greenhouse, where it will enjoy high humidity. This tree is sensitive to freeze and requires protection below 45F. It needs regular watering and fertile well-drained soil. High air humidity is always a plus.
The seedlings grow rapidly, first fruit can be expected within 3-4 years.

Considering its rarity and problematic exporting, the only way to enjoy this tropical delicacy is to grow one of your own!

LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT! OR IF YOU CAN SOURCE SEED! THANKS! :)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:45:14 PM »

I havent heard of it, but can guarantee it can be done, in a 45-75 gal container though.  I was thinking of trying...

but be warned you are growing a tree that's similar in growth habit and height (maybe smaller) as jackfruit (which can be fruited in a pot 50-75 gal, smallest Ive heard of).

I have seen jackfruit fruiting in smaller containers. I've seen them flower in 1 gallons but I've seen fruit held on a 7gallon.
Here are some pics of a flowering 3g and a fruiting 7g. If it is possible with jackfruit, it may be possible with a grafted marang. Maybe grafting marang onto jackfruit? Hmmm... Someone needs to get to work on this.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »

Murahilin::

I have seen jackfruit fruiting in smaller containers. I've seen them flower in 1 gallons but I've seen fruit held on a 7gallon.
Here are some pics of a flowering 3g and a fruiting 7g. If it is possible with jackfruit, it may be possible with a grafted marang. Maybe grafting marang onto jackfruit? Hmmm... Someone needs to get to work on this.

??? ??? ??? ???

where can I get one! WOW! ??? ??? ???

Did the fruits hold, and mature?  and make quality fruits?

What variety is this?

Thanks so much for teaching me how small they can be fruited!!! ;D

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
challenge accepted!!!!!!!!! ethan has volunteered to mail me a seedling in the spring. Im not sure how big my containers are but I would guess they are at least 40 gals and maybe 60-70. I will post a pic of my containers and maybe one of you can estimate the gallon size. I love marang and will be thrilled to give it a go. thanks so much ethan.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »

where can I get one! WOW! ??? ??? ???

Did the fruits hold, and mature?  and make quality fruits?

What variety is this?

Thanks so much for teaching me how small they can be fruited!!! ;D
Those pics were all taken at Excalibur in Lake Worth. I don't recall if it held the fruit because I think the tree was sold. It was one of the Mai varieties I believe. I have seen bangkok lemon seedlings in 1 gallons with male flowers. I don't know what is the smallest size tree I've tasted the fruit from though. If it was a small enough variety like the new Excalibur Gold I would think it would be able to hold and mature a fruit in a 7 gallon if the fruit were supported.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »
I have 2 marang trees in the ground, one of which has fruited a few times. I will probably have seeds available in late summer: Aug-Sept. Seedling trees get huge, like 50-60 feet tall. They are not as cold hardy as jackfruit, more like breadfruit. I think fruiting marang in a pot would be difficult but not impossible. More likely to happen in Florida than in California. More likely in extreme southern Florida, preferrably the Keys.
Oscar
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:28:10 PM »
If I were to graft a marang, would there be a similar effect to grafting mangosteen, making then container growable? Oscar, when will you have seeds available, or will I need to wait until next year?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
Have fresh marang seeds right now. Grafting most trees dwarfs them to some extent.
Oscar

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
The two largest fruit trees I have are Mamey sapote and Marang.  Both are tricky to pick when the trees are so large.  I have pruned them both drastically and they are still large and not so easy to pick.
I imagine Oscar is right about the Marang being more sensitive to cold than a jak.
A Marang can produce a lot of fruit and I would suggest that the trees be pruned almost from the beginning like with a jackfruit tree which can also get out of hand in a good growing area.
Other similar trees like pedalai we are tip pruning while quite young.
The large jak fruits in pots at Excalibur look like they could be rooted into the ground.  This might be alright for buying to plant out but  the trees might not produce fruit if they were being moved in and out of some protection depending on the weather.
Peter

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
Based on the trees I have encountered, it is hard to imagine that a mamey sapote could compete with a marang in the size department.  The marang that I saw in Puerto Rico dwarf the mameys I have seen both here in Florida and in Puerto Rico.  Would love to see some pictures if you get a chance, Peter.  Thanks in advance.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »
Based on the trees I have encountered, it is hard to imagine that a mamey sapote could compete with a marang in the size department.  The marang that I saw in Puerto Rico dwarf the mameys I have seen both here in Florida and in Puerto Rico.  Would love to see some pictures if you get a chance, Peter.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, the mamey sapotes here are also wimpy sized compared to marang. Marang can get almost as large as pedalai, which is a giant sized tree.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 09:00:04 AM »
Marang can get almost as large as pedalai, which is a giant sized tree.

That has been my observation as well.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
Here are a couple photos of the Mamey sapote tree I mentioned.  The tree was at least 18m (60').  Now it is about 12m.  Obviously the trunk needs a little maintenance.  This is a seedling that was planted around 23 years ago along with 4 others that were later removed.
Speaking of large sapotaceae we have a Chico sapote that is probably 50m tall, maybe 60m!  We regard that sapodilla as a native forest tree and the fruit quality is not that great.  The wood is particularly valuable.
Peter

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
Most of us won't have to worry about their marangs growing that tall , unless you live in the perfect climate for them , I have I think 7 growing , oldest is 6 - 7 years , not fruiting yet and not over 7 meters . Others 5 years and not over 2 meters which is OK as long as they will fruit one day...
On some trees I notice a lot of die-back of branches but new ones are coming out of the main trunk .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
I have seen very small plants in fruit of marang and in fact a number of Artocarpus.In the tropics a tricky way to achieve this is to keep the trees in the ground until they start fruiting and then chop them right back to about 6 feet.You then wait until they fruit again and prune them once again.I have heard of people digging them out and putting them in a big pot at this stage.A variation of this is  to take a fruiting tree that is not too big and just chop it back and cut the roots and put it into a pot.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »
Most of us won't have to worry about their marangs growing that tall , unless you live in the perfect climate for them , I have I think 7 growing , oldest is 6 - 7 years , not fruiting yet and not over 7 meters . Others 5 years and not over 2 meters which is OK as long as they will fruit one day...
On some trees I notice a lot of die-back of branches but new ones are coming out of the main trunk .

Those trees of yours are still very young trees, so i wouldn't judge their final size yet. I think even at your location they could get quite large if given enough water.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk