Author Topic: Annona scleroderma taste issue  (Read 789 times)

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Annona scleroderma taste issue
« on: October 21, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
Hey folks,
I tasted Annona scleroderma, Poshtee for the first time the other day and it was sweet but with a strange feral taste, feral like bitter or chemical.
idk are they meant to taste like this?

The fruit was picked from the tree when it was a little soft but the fruit had not split yet, does this make any difference?
The tree didn't look to healthy cause it just got a big prune and the fruit might have been sunburn.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Annona scleroderma taste issue
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 08:52:59 PM »
I'm growing a couple of sclerodermas. Mine are not old enough or large enough to have fruited, yet. Your assessment of your fruit makes me a little worried. I thought scleroderma was one of the best tasting Annonas. It is why I am willing to devote so much of my limited growing space to them. I wonder if your poor fruit quality is due to one of the environmental issues you mentioned or due to variations between plants.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 09:28:02 PM »
Same boat as you W.-

hopefully it was just an off one but the picture looks pretty perfect

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 09:09:48 AM »
I tried to find a description of the taste...

"The cream-coloured flesh has a bittersweet flavour"
https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/PoshteNeglectedCrop.htm under botanical description
instagram @trumansacco

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
I tried to find a description of the taste...

"The cream-coloured flesh has a bittersweet flavour"
https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/PoshteNeglectedCrop.htm under botanical description

I wonder if this species varies from plant to plant on the amount of bitter versus sweet in its fruit, or is its fruit quality is strongly affected by environmental issues? These might be questions we find the answers to as more people start growing scleroderma.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 04:04:41 PM »
"One has to know exactly when to eat them. Becaues if you eat them too early, they are sour, or if you eat them too over-ripe, they are mushy; but just right, they are delicious" - Christine Gray, 1991, The Survival of the Posh-te

"We have found it is best picked when the fruit is well filled out and the markings on the skin flatten out. Take inside and leave to ripen, similar to a custard apple." -Christine Gray, 1990, Correct to a Te

E-jardim's photo looks more ripe than yours. http://www.e-jardim.com/adm/fotos/Poshte%201%20edit.jpg

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 11:37:06 AM »
I have tasted a couple of scleroderma fruits that had "off"/"medicinal" tastes;  but usually they taste great.
Har

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 08:36:54 PM »
So based on multiple sources it seams the time when it's picked might be quite sensitive..

Guanabanus, where the "off" tasting ones to ripe or picked to early?

I know Donny gray and he grew heaps of A. Scleroderma with Christine back in the old days but he cut out the tree's cause they where not a hit at the market and where hard to pick. But some months ago he said he was looking for them again cause he figured out they have to split a little on the tree to have the best flavor. So got him a seedling and he got super happy so they must be amazing when they are good and terrible when not good. Never seen Donny that happy before.. And Donny knows good fruit so it must have potential to good flavor.

The poshtee I got came from a tree grown from a seed from one of Donny's fruit 20 years ago.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange