Author Topic: Water accumulation in your neighboorhood  (Read 4716 times)

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Water accumulation in your neighboorhood
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2023, 11:16:04 PM »
The idiotic notions that emanate from the Loony Left are absolutely boundless.

Cool. Meanwhile, literally you from earlier today:

Science is helpful as long as it's real, unfettered, unbiased and unpoliticized science, and not agenda-driven.

Edit: Also, hey bud, what does that article you linked have to do with flooding in Miami or tropical fruit growing in general? Cause, ah, it looks like you and a couple of other people just decided to go completely off the rails and into weird political territory while yelling about others being political. Did you run out of bananas to pick?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:26:02 PM by CeeJey »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2023, 12:33:36 AM »
heat = energy = storms

or more broken down
heat = more spaced air atoms = lower atmospheric pressure = water phase changes to liquid = storms
This effect only compounds with higher temperature meaning more evaporation from the ocean

Not wanting to start anything, just saying climate change would definitely imply more rainfall

Or if you like numbers try “World Temperature By Year”, “Hurricanes by Year”, “Atmospheric CO2 by Year”. there’s a lot of questions you can ask about the world that should lead you to inarguable truth It’s like fighting gravity. Goodluck

There’s a whole wealth of information out there. Pray you consider looking for it.

I remember 7-8 years ago it rained thr whole month of April in Texas. Literally 3 weeks straight of rain, focus on trends instead of single events : )
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 12:36:17 AM by tru »
instagram @trumansacco

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2023, 07:50:29 AM »
I may have to agree with shot and say cool this down, it is getting personal.

No it is not a simple, we talked about Miami (https://www.drought.gov/states/florida/county/Miami-Dade) getting a wet dry season but the St Pete/Tampa (https://www.drought.gov/states/florida/county/Pinellas) area got a very dry, dry season and if you looked at the drought index in one of the earlier posts it shows different parts of the state were less blessed (or cursed) with rain this past dry season.  This is not unusual, it is possible, actually common for parts of Florida to be dry while other parts are wet and has been this way for a vey long long time.

We can't fully describe the processes going on and convince someone who holds a differing opinion as strongly as people do on this subject in 20 lines of text.  So please cool down and lets have some decorum on the forum.

If you want to change minds, invite someone to your orchard and over tasting mango and sort, talk and listen , it would be a couple of hours well spent and who know you or the person may go away with a few points that may alter your long held position.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:03:21 AM by Orkine »

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2023, 12:06:03 PM »

These calls for chill and decorum need to include a call for ceasing the blatant partisan political stumping or it's not going to work. A couple of comments up somebody's posting an article calling for voting for Trump in the title, and that other guy is yelling about the "Looney Left" again while linking to some editorial fluff as a straw man argument about what he believes people with an opposing viewpoint to be like as a whole. Can we ask people to stop that crap too? It doesn't have squat to do with growing anything.

It's exhausting. Nobody else is here for this political horses***; we're trying to get and share info to grow our plants. But it sure seems like a subset of folks uncritically think that their particular brand is the One Truth and everyone else is automatically an idiot, and they're not afraid to say it loudly and repeatedly. Meanwhile the fact is that there are a lot of people here from different countries and of different political persuasions (including apolitical) who don't appreciate their hyper-local partisan "us vs. them" b.s.

The "own the libs" brand of hot trash where everyone who disagrees with the groupthink must be a "leftist" (or whatever it is this week) is particularly exhausting to deal with. Especially when trying to discuss non-political, factual content.

And that's the core issue that occurred here: Hard science about climate topics (which very definitely relates directly to growing tropical fruit trees in marginal environments) is only political/religious for this one single group; to the rest of us it's non-political and the same as discussing anything else related to agriculture like soil science or pathogenic bacteria. And the rest of us might disagree but we generally do so based on actual evidence and are open to having our viewpoint changed.

Meanwhile, you could post a series of satellite data showing changes in storms off the Florida coast in the last thirty years or something, with no commentary whatsoever, just hard un-processed data, and some of those other people are going to respond to it like it's a political attack which is insane person behavior.

They can't discuss any of this in good faith, because they just won't respond to anything that could actually disprove anything they believe. At least, they won't respond with factual content. Political slurs, straw man arguments, yeah sure they'll do those. They're doing that in this thread. Look at it: these guys are having a discussion with themselves about how stupid their perceived opposition are and making up arguments for them that nobody here is actually making. And you won't find a single case of one of them posting any actual evidence as support for their beliefs, they're just yelling about how everyone else with a different viewpoint is stupid and agenda-driven while shoving their own agenda down everyone else's throats. You cannot have real civility or productive discussion when people are acting like that.

If you want actual civility that includes a variety of viewpoints (which is generally a good thing to have when trying to solve problems, and a lot of this forum is about problem-solving when it comes to a highly specific skillset) then these guys need to grow up and learn to keep their personal politics to themselves.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2023, 12:13:27 PM »
you can't expect critical thinking in a mixed bag of nuts.
You can expect someone to take a dump in the middle of the room , and defend it and clean it like it's their favorite piece of furniture.
It's really sad got see people indoctrinated to bullshit whether it's a cult of politics, religion, or the tell lies vision.
People are  Manipulated by media and politicians , brain drained from TV and exhausted from diet.
So go outside and plant seeds in the earth or enjoy nature, help do something you think would take care of the earth and make it nicer for the next generation.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2023, 12:39:25 PM »
you can't expect critical thinking in a mixed bag of nuts.
You can expect someone to take a dump in the middle of the room , and defend it and clean it like it's their favorite piece of furniture.

That's distressingly true imagery, although I do still think in this context that if the dump is going to include blatant advertisements for their favorite politicians/teams, it should be reasonable to expect that they do their best to pinch that loaf off till they can get to a different room.

So go outside and plant seeds in the earth or enjoy nature, help do something you think would take care of the earth and make it nicer for the next generation.

Yeah, this is good advice in general. I think I'm going to take it and go work on the seedlings today.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2023, 01:04:15 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

Not until we all read this National Science Foundation funded paper that is of utmost importance to all of us!

https://reason.com/2016/03/07/this-university-of-oregon-study-on-femin/

Here's another: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220125-why-climate-change-is-inherently-racist

We can call it the BBCeeJay theory. Climate change and racism fueling stronger storms. I wonder if they've ever heard of the 1935 Labor Day hurricane, the strongest documented storm to ever hit Florida. Maybe Climate change was just ramping up in 1935 but racism was at its all-time high and this produced the strongest storm. Then Climate change died down for a bit, the Civil rights movement began, and the hurricane powers that be gave us a break until "the past 30 years or so" bro.

Thefatcuban

• Atlanta, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2023, 01:17:27 PM »
Oh how I’ve missed the off topic section ;D
Josh

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2023, 01:33:13 PM »
We can call it the BBCeeJay theory. Climate change and racism fueling stronger storms. I wonder if they've ever heard of the 1935 Labor Day hurricane, the strongest documented storm to ever hit Florida. Maybe Climate change was just ramping up in 1935 but racism was at its all-time high and this produced the strongest storm. Then Climate change died down for a bit, the Civil rights movement began, and the hurricane powers that be gave us a break until "the past 30 years or so" bro.

Yeah see this is exactly what I was talking about. Personal attacks, straw man b.s., not actually addressing anything factual or anything I said anywhere (or that ANYBODY said), trying to stress people out because that makes them feel like a big smart adult man or something. Pretty standard old-school trolling by somebody who abjectly failed to grow up after 14 or so, I guess, just codified in a political ideology.

Anyway, dwfl, you can keep going with your fanfiction shtick about me if it amuses you, or not, but honestly at this point it's just pathetic.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:06:31 PM by CeeJey »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
Industrial era began around 1760.

CO2 levels are significantly higher than pre Industrial Revolution, along with a whole lot of other atmospheric changes.

Glaciers are melting.

Sea level is rising.

Average global temps are higher than 100 years ago.

Rainfall is more erratic. Drought, then floods in some areas.

The climate is definitely changing. It always has. We have helped it. wtf is the point in arguing

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2023, 02:06:48 PM »
Racism is horrible.
Who would want to be judged based on what color their skin is.
attempting to somehow connect racism and climate change is a steaming pile.

I have lived in a beach town ringed by a mountain range for 40+ years and have been paying keen attention to the weather .
I draw my own conclusions based on my experience.

Parroting the news media is stupid. I don't play for the red or blue team.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2023, 03:19:39 PM »
Limestone base under my topsoil facilitates quick drainage. Standing water is not an issue in our neighborhood. Let the water percolate into the aquifer as nature designed
What is your elevation, are you on the coastal ridge?
Your setup in a low area could be a problem if the water table is high.

I'm 17½ foot above sea level. Been heavily mulching for 13 years. We soak it up.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2023, 08:39:56 PM »

These calls for chill and decorum need to include a call for ceasing the blatant partisan political stumping or it's not going to work. A couple of comments up somebody's posting an article calling for voting for Trump in the title, and that other guy is yelling about the "Looney Left" again while linking to some editorial fluff as a straw man argument about what he believes people with an opposing viewpoint to be like as a whole. Can we ask people to stop that crap too? It doesn't have squat to do with growing anything.

It's exhausting. Nobody else is here for this political horses***; we're trying to get and share info to grow our plants. But it sure seems like a subset of folks uncritically think that their particular brand is the One Truth and everyone else is automatically an idiot, and they're not afraid to say it loudly and repeatedly. Meanwhile the fact is that there are a lot of people here from different countries and of different political persuasions (including apolitical) who don't appreciate their hyper-local partisan "us vs. them" b.s.

The "own the libs" brand of hot trash where everyone who disagrees with the groupthink must be a "leftist" (or whatever it is this week) is particularly exhausting to deal with. Especially when trying to discuss non-political, factual content.

And that's the core issue that occurred here: Hard science about climate topics (which very definitely relates directly to growing tropical fruit trees in marginal environments) is only political/religious for this one single group; to the rest of us it's non-political and the same as discussing anything else related to agriculture like soil science or pathogenic bacteria. And the rest of us might disagree but we generally do so based on actual evidence and are open to having our viewpoint changed.

Meanwhile, you could post a series of satellite data showing changes in storms off the Florida coast in the last thirty years or something, with no commentary whatsoever, just hard un-processed data, and some of those other people are going to respond to it like it's a political attack which is insane person behavior.

They can't discuss any of this in good faith, because they just won't respond to anything that could actually disprove anything they believe. At least, they won't respond with factual content. Political slurs, straw man arguments, yeah sure they'll do those. They're doing that in this thread. Look at it: these guys are having a discussion with themselves about how stupid their perceived opposition are and making up arguments for them that nobody here is actually making. And you won't find a single case of one of them posting any actual evidence as support for their beliefs, they're just yelling about how everyone else with a different viewpoint is stupid and agenda-driven while shoving their own agenda down everyone else's throats. You cannot have real civility or productive discussion when people are acting like that.

If you want actual civility that includes a variety of viewpoints (which is generally a good thing to have when trying to solve problems, and a lot of this forum is about problem-solving when it comes to a highly specific skillset) then these guys need to grow up and learn to keep their personal politics to themselves.

I'm sttill trying to figure out if this is a backpedal, a cartwheel, or a hissy fit. Regardless, it's entertaining so please keep posting. LOL!

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2023, 09:47:47 PM »
Limestone base under my topsoil facilitates quick drainage. Standing water is not an issue in our neighborhood. Let the water percolate into the aquifer as nature designed
What is your elevation, are you on the coastal ridge?
Your setup in a low area could be a problem if the water table is high.

I'm 17½ foot above sea level. Been heavily mulching for 13 years. We soak it up.
You my friend are on a mountain :)  Florida style.
You should be able to handle most rain events and be dry shortly after.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2023, 11:15:28 PM »

I'm sttill trying to figure out

Hey bud, speaking of backpedaling as you say, where's all that evidence you said you had about all those totally legit and real scientists that contradicts all that climate change research that scares you so much? All you've posted is a trash link about one newspaper writer's personal opinions, and I'm sorry to tell you bud but, uh, those aren't the same things. You know what a "scientist" is, right?

Also still waiting on an answer to my first question to you about why you think the oil companies' internal projections for warming look almost exactly like independent scientists you claim are working for big scary green energy companies you can't name.

Of course I know you won't give any of that, because you can't, but as you say it's entertaining.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 02:00:24 AM by CeeJey »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2023, 08:49:37 AM »
Aside from a freak shower here and there its almost a standard dry season for us in Central Florida. Mangos are developing correctly and should be ripe soon. Typical light winter and spring. Still in the 80s, hopefully that continues.

Aaron

• SWFL
    • View Profile
    • http://nofogroves.com/
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2023, 09:50:28 AM »
You'd figure a bunch of misplaced tropical fruit growers would be excited about global warming

Fygee

• Las Vegas Gardening Community Admin
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • View Profile
    • Las Vegas Gardening Community
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2023, 11:42:31 AM »
CeeJay has nailed it this whole thread.

Anyways, down here in Vegas, the only water accumulation we have is whatever runoff waste there is from sprinklers for people that still have lawns. Said runoff lasts on the ground for about 10 minutes.

Dealing with a historic drought here as Lake Mead continues to shrink (although we got a bit of a break with more rain than expected early this year). Lots of factors coming into play here, but more and more people are thinking about moving elsewhere before it gets to deadpool status and housing values absolutely tank.
Continuing my journey to disprove those who say "You can't grow that in the desert" since 2013.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »
You'd figure a bunch of misplaced tropical fruit growers would be excited about global warming

Not if you live in Miami-Dade County.  Also, it doesn't work out that you just seamlessly transition zones with no other issues

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2023, 12:15:31 PM »
FYI.  Just contacted the Miami-Dade 311 and they were very helpful, I was able to successfully report the issue and they said it would take up to 30 days to resolve.  Seems hopeful that it could be fixed.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
The afternoon showers have glanced my garden. Perfect weather for the fruit.
 Getting anxious about the 3 gallon trees I planted in March, not very moist 2 inches down. Might be dragging the hose tomorrow

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2023, 08:23:15 PM »

Careful now! The "Snow is a thing of the past" and "Children just won't know what snow is" predictions were quickly shot down by reality so they've gone from instilling fear of Global warming to instilling fear of Climate change.

More clogged storm drain threads please!

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2023, 09:09:59 PM »
Freeze this thread!!!!!

Not until we all read this National Science Foundation funded paper that is of utmost importance to all of us!

https://reason.com/2016/03/07/this-university-of-oregon-study-on-femin/

Here's another: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220125-why-climate-change-is-inherently-racist

Nailed it… everything is racist again now so therefore we are going to incur the wrath of the stronger storms. A simple graph should easily illustrate the racism vs storm intensity plots showing this simple yet unwavering truth!

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2023, 09:46:16 PM »
I would love to see the graph. Great idea except if anyone reads this in the morning their going to have to clean up all the coffee they spit out before dying hysterically in laughter. The storm drain is emotionally clogged, I agree. Hopefully the "R" named storm this year is named Ron and sucks away all the target stores, bud light, disney world's, and mentality that only select people have opportunity leavin all the baby making child raising teenager dealing families to return to the american dream everyone is after. No biscuit if you don't risk it. Sorry for dumb jokes, I'm done now. Happy hunting, good night.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2023, 02:56:28 AM »

Not if you live in Miami-Dade County.  Also, it doesn't work out that you just seamlessly transition zones with no other issues

Agreed as a low desert resident. Higher winter averages may be great for most everything except the stone fruit but our average summer temps are already insane. More nights over 90 and days over 110 stress even the heat tolerant stuff.

I'm not convinced what Phoenix is going to look like overall as time passes though, even if warming continues; a lot of our local water comes from the monsoons as opposed to the Colorado and there's not a strict consensus on what higher global temps is going to do to monsoon season. But Vegas and other parts of the low desert are very possibly going to see some ridiculous water costs and/or serious rationing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 04:40:46 AM by CeeJey »