Author Topic: Myrica rubra group order  (Read 9958 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Myrica rubra group order
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:26:02 AM »
Would anyone be interested in joining a group order of Myrica rubra from China? The varieties are BiQi, DongKui, and ShuiJing(meaning crystal). Male trees are also available. These are 3 year old grafted trees which should be stronger than the ones I got in March. They'd be approximately $20-25 picked up from San Diego or add the cost of shipping to your location.

A friend in the Bay Area is doing the work of collecting and sending the money to the nursery. I'm just posting to see who might be interested.

There's a 2-page varieties and order details here http://www.sendspace.com/file/r6xoay Contact Yun Fei or Tynan if you live near them. Or contact me if you're near LA or need shipping.

Here's the schedule:
- get a count of how many plants people want -- Dec 8 or so
  - send the numbers to China for the final price
- calculate the price for each individual -- when they know the price
- collect money for the plants -- end of December
- receive the plants and ship or wait for pickup -- Early January hopefully. The earlier the better.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:05:48 PM by fyliu »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Myrica rubra group order
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 03:49:54 AM »
pmed you.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »
 ;D

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »
My plan is to get 2 BiQi, 1 ShuiJing, 1 DongKui. Hopefully these will hold up better than the last batch. They're more mature and will have more time to rest before the weather heats up this time.

Out of the 7 that I was able to save from transport shock only 1 DongKui still has leaves.

I brought 4 to Burbank and put them in a location that I eventually found out took harsh direct sun for many hours a day during the summer, which burned them all. 2 others at my parents' place got weaker and eventually dropped leaves.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »
pmed you.

Gonna cover the bare rooted trees with proper plastic bags this time? Even if you think your outdoor humidity and shade will be enough, it is very unlikely that it will be. I can mail you a few plastic bags for free if you would like?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
I have killed barerooted trees by leaving them outside of the bag for only a few hours.  Even if they look good they need to be bagged IN THE SHADE for at least 4-6 WEEKS...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
pmed you.

Gonna cover the bare rooted trees with proper plastic bags this time? Even if you think your outdoor humidity and shade will be enough, it is very unlikely that it will be. I can mail you a few plastic bags for free if you would like?

Was not prepared last time, kind of figured I would be fine outdoors in full shade (few blocks from ocean, constant +70% humidity)... nope not good enough :(. They are sensitive plants, so I will not make that mistake again. Going to get a plastic clear bags and poke some small holes in them. Btw, do you have a source for the plastic bags? (Otherwise I can just buy them from you).

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »
I wouldnt poke holes in the bags for about FOUR WEEKS.. They sell long clear plastic bags at Office Depot for paper schredders that work perfect on 1-3 gallon pots with bamboo stakes.  After four weeks of 100% humidity you can BEGIN to poke small holes in the bags to SLOWLY reduce the humidity week by week.  By week 6 the bags will look like swiss cheese and the tree will probably live.. Wouldnt hurt to spray some fungicide in the interior during the process!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
Was not prepared last time, kind of figured I would be fine outdoors in full shade (few blocks from ocean, constant +70% humidity)... nope not good enough :(. They are sensitive plants, so I will not make that mistake again. Going to get a plastic clear bags and poke some small holes in them. Btw, do you have a source for the plastic bags? (Otherwise I can just buy them from you).

I have some really good plastic bags that I use for grafting and covering bare rooted plants. I gave a whole pack to Patrick a few weeks ago to use for grafting. They are tall enough to cover most plants and wife enough to fit snugly around a 3 gallon container. I found the name of the company that I bought the bags from but they don't seem to have a website anymore. Here are the two names I found that may help: Poly Systems in Plano Texas and Plastic Solutions in Plano Texas. It was either one of those two that I ordered the bags from. I will continue searching to see if I can find the actual website that I used. I think I may have called and placed the order over the phone though.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:15 PM »
I wouldnt poke holes in the bags for about FOUR WEEKS.. They sell long clear plastic bags at Office Depot for paper schredders that work perfect on 1-3 gallon pots with bamboo stakes.  After four weeks of 100% humidity you can BEGIN to poke small holes in the bags to SLOWLY reduce the humidity week by week.  By week 6 the bags will look like swiss cheese and the tree will probably live.. Wouldnt hurt to spray some fungicide in the interior during the process!

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the bags at Office Depot.

Thank you murahilin as well, any sources for optimal bags would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:47:53 PM by nullzero »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at the bags at Office Depot.

I think I found the website in my emails but the address no longer works. It was www.plasticneeds.com. Here are the dimensions of the bags that I used: 15x36 Flat Poly Bags 1.5MIL. 17-18inches width may work out a bit better because 15 is very snug on a 3g. 36" tall may be too tall as well. so 30 would likely even be fine for most plants. 1.5MIL seems to work well.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
Something like these http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1736/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/16-x-30-2-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags

Checked out the price and amount of bags, to much lol.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:54:24 PM by nullzero »

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »

I have some really good plastic bags that I use for grafting and covering bare rooted plants. I gave a whole pack to Patrick a few weeks ago to use for grafting. They are tall enough to cover most plants and wife enough to fit snugly around a 3 gallon container. I found the name of the company that I bought the bags from but they don't seem to have a website anymore. Here are the two names I found that may help: Poly Systems in Plano Texas and Plastic Solutions in Plano Texas. It was either one of those two that I ordered the bags from. I will continue searching to see if I can find the actual website that I used. I think I may have called and placed the order over the phone though.

Those bags are really nice! They are a perfect thickness, a little heavier than a lunch bag yet still very flexable.. Thanks again Man!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
Murahilin,

If you have some of those extra bags, I would be interested in buying them.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »
Something like these http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1736/Poly-Bags-Flat-Open/16-x-30-2-Mil-Industrial-Poly-Bags

Checked out the price and amount of bags, to much lol.

I got mine for $57.70 for 500 free shipping.

How many bags would you like?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »
The plastic bags helped stabilize mine last time... after 2-3 months. Then the weather was too hot to leave them in the bags and that's when my problems started.

Use a light mix of perlite and sphagnum for potting (no fertilizer). Drench really well one time at the beginning making sure there's no dry spots or large air gaps. Drain it and bag it to protect against humidity loss and any more watering until the pot feels dry by your picking it up. Oxygen helps bare roots more than water does. Just put it in a not hot, not bright place for a month at a time in the cool season and then check it more often as weather warms. I know I'm just repeating what you guys recommended already.

Joshua_TX

• Zone 9a South Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 06:11:39 PM »
PMed.  ;D

John

• USA Huntsville Texas zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:46 PM »
I would like to order 4 myrica rubra varieties from china if you are still taking orders

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:21 PM »
I can't guarantee anything but you can try. I can forward your order to Yunfei or you can email him directly. Maybe they can add it if they think it'll fit in the box.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
yangmei from yunfei? I just received some red bayberry seeds from my friends wife's sister in china and she picked out the best ones.

I know they are hard to germinate and also that hotter than zone 10 is not suitable to grow the trees.I might fool about with soem and see if they sprout.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »
Yunfei is a guy in the Bay Area that's been in contact with the Chinese nursery. He's from the same region and he also grows them from seeds.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:47 PM »
fyliu Yes I could see that but just as people can look like their pets it is unusual that people can sound like their fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk