Author Topic: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone  (Read 68261 times)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order - trees all gone
« Reply #550 on: July 09, 2021, 03:30:41 PM »
Thanks Kaz, but my trees look great thanks to Brad. I've had the smaller one maybe 2 weeks or so, the taller one just arrived yesterday.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 09, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
Thanks Brad! Yangmei 2 has landed, and has been reunited. You did a phenomenal job of taking care of these rarities; just hope I can continue with similar success.

Good luck with Black Peak Simon! What do you think went afoul?

Rob, I believe the trees may have been exposed to too much heat during the international shipping.

Does anyone from this group buy still have a Black Peak that is alive? I was hopeful when it pushed leaves a while back but the growths have since dried up and there’s only a few that leaves that have some green on them. I treated all the trees the same.

I’m really hoping someone has a live Black Peak.

Simon

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 09, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »
Howdy everyone,

I'm selling yangmei seedlings at:

https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/myrica-rubra

Thanks for your support!

Don't forget to use the discount code: TFFISTHEBEST for 5% off.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 09, 2021, 07:17:47 PM »
Haha, I love the discount code. I just placed my order. Thanks Nate!

Simon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 09, 2021, 07:26:53 PM »
Awww man, I missed the code.

...Nate hooked me up with a retro discount. Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 07:38:45 PM by roblack »

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 09, 2021, 07:32:26 PM »
Howdy everyone,

I'm selling yangmei seedlings at:

https://www.wildlandsplants.com/shop/p/myrica-rubra

Thanks for your support!

Don't forget to use the discount code: TFFISTHEBEST for 5% off.
Hi Nate, is it possible to share pics of the seedlings to get a feel how big they are? How old are they? Thanks

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 09, 2021, 07:38:29 PM »

Hi Nate, is it possible to share pics of the seedlings to get a feel how big they are? How old are they? Thanks

I just sent this message to Simon who asked the same question,

"The seedlings are pretty much reflected of whats in the picture on my website.  There are a few in the bunch that are about 5-7" tall and most others are between 2-4" and stout with lots of healthy growth.  They were transplanted from a community pot about 2 months ago, and I lost a ton! I had about 150 and now have 90! The die offs have stopped and I figured now would be a good time to get stable plants out.

I am wondering if the different growth rates may have some indication of gender?  Just a random hypothesis, but I figured it's best if I randomly assign plants."

I can post some more pictures in a bit.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 09, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »
Nate, do you know anything about the fruit/variety/quality of yangmei your seeds came from?

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 09, 2021, 10:36:43 PM »
PM sent

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 10, 2021, 10:40:47 AM »
Great post here gentlemen.  It took me a bit to read all 23 pages and associated scientific links but very exciting to see a solid push to establish these plants here in the US in a more meaningful way.  After sampling one from Simon, I am throwing in my support too.  Ordered 3 seedlings from yesterdays order with Wildlands farms.  Fingers crossed!  Plenty of humidity where we are next to ocean but the soil conditions are interesting on this one.  pH seems pretty low in their native environment.  Here in San Diego, we have pretty terrible water but this should be fun. 

Sounds like this group order was a massive pain to pull together.  Happy to jump in if there is one in the future.  Again... thanks to all for the many comments and updates.  Keep up the good work!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 10, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
This plant I have been giving a lot of sun the last week or so and it started growing pretty quickly.  I wanted to show this plant because you can see once the leaves harden off they turn a darker green.  The new flush is lime green and looks chlorotic but it clears up once they have a month or so to harden off. 

Here's the An Hai that made a miracle comeback out of nowhere

I have them out in the sun right now its 90F and 20%RH already at 10AM.

Brad Spaugh

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 10, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
Several years ago I decided variety black carbon had the best chance of fruiting in a tropical climate and had good fruit quality. A contact in Taiwan sent seeds but I didnt expect a kg of them. I spread them out to all takers the best I could and planted a few handfuls. About half came up. I have heard anecdotally that those I sent to sub tropical and cooler areas did very well. I didnt keep any in the end. I recently saw ones offloaded to an acquaintance and they were 4m high and had never flowered. I guess a costal 17 latitude climate is too warm for flowering but great for tree growth.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 10, 2021, 05:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the info Mike!

I am hoping these trees will not be as difficult to grow as I once thought. It appears that newly sprouted seedlings have some issues after the first transplant into their individual pots and also the bare rooted trees have difficulty with surviving the international shipping and post potting care but they seem to be growing fine after that.

I just up potted my Biqi yesterday and it completely filled the pot it was in with fine feeder roots and a few of the older roots thickened up and began to lignify.

Simon

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 11, 2021, 01:43:57 AM »
From what I’ve heard and my brief experience with seedlings, many tend to die off in the first season for whatever reason. Those that survive into the 2nd season are pretty good survivors. The 2nd year ones I got from Marta were all pretty tough. Barerooting them for shipping didn’t seem to weaken them. One died but that was from not shading it during a bad heatwave.

There are some people in Chinese-language FB groups that want to join as well if there’s ever a future import, but they don’t want to handle the actual import. It takes a good deal of effort to pull it off and I’m glad people are able to revive a good number of them.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 14, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »
Thanks for the information Fang! All the data gathered so far will be extremely useful in piecing together the next steps forward in growing and propagating Yangmei.

Does anyone know wether the growers at Calmei are growing their fruiting trees on Yangmei seedling, M.Californica or some other rootstocks?

Jason Nursery grafts onto Yangmei seedling rootstocks so one might believe this is the preferred rootstock but whom or from what country is their target clientele? Yangmei seedlings may be the best rootstock in China but with our high pH soil in my yard, I wonder if M. Californica might be a better rootstock?

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:54 AM »
Grafted good varieties onto seedling Yangmei rootstock he grew in his backyard.
https://www.californiabountiful.com/features/article.aspx?arID=2451

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2021, 02:00:49 AM »
Thanks for the info Kaz! I wonder if Calmei is continuing to use seedling rootstock or if they found anything better like M. Californica or Cifera?

Simon

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 14, 2021, 02:11:08 AM »
Is M. Californica a good rootstock to use for grafting?
I haven't had any success so far with my grafts on the 1 gallon M. Californica, they are all dying.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 02:27:51 PM by sc4001992 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 14, 2021, 10:59:05 AM »
Sad to hear those grafts failed. 

Going to try grafting onto yangemi seedlings and wax myrtle (morella cerifera) here.

Also, will try air layers.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 14, 2021, 12:53:07 PM »
I think the native rootstocks are not really good to use but usable with lower success rates. I haven’t done a good comparison of them. I do know that most of my yangmei on yangmei grafts worked but most of my yangmei on M. cerifera and M. californica grafts failed. But it’s much harder to grow yangmei for rootstocks than to get the native ones. So I think we have to settle with that as the best option for now.

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 14, 2021, 01:49:05 PM »
I’m starting to have doubts M. Californica is a compatible rootstock for yangmei...if it is, it’s not a very good one. After initially pushing, all my Yangmei grafts on M. Californica died. I also have a friend that’s been trying to graft yangmei onto Californica for awhile with no luck. It’s like Fang says, it’ll look like they’re compatible because the scion will push, sometimes even for months, but it will eventually always dry up and die.

Shane, it would be awesome if you could do an experiment by grafting some scions from your male tree onto some M. Californica.

Natty, have you experimented with different rootstocks for your yangmei tree?

I believe yangmei rootstock is the only way to go for grafting yangmei scions. I hope someone can prove me wrong.
Nate

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 14, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
I grafted like 6 really small scions from Shane onto three Californica's and the following is the only one that's still alive, which is a side veneer. Not sure if it's out of woods already but the graft union is healing so I am hopeful.

The other grafts died, along with the two Californica trees. It seems that Californica tends to give up on the entire branch (and tree) if all the rootstock buds are removed. For this reason, I recommend side veneer, and I suggest leaving some buds above and below the graft until you are sure that the graft takes. Be very careful - initial bud break doesn't mean much! You really need patience with Yangmei grafting.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:36:44 PM by beicadad »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 14, 2021, 03:45:18 PM »
Ken, your graft looks good. I think it will survive. Have you tried grafting any scions from the purchased yangmei plants (An Hai, Bi Qui, etc) to the California and had success ?

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 14, 2021, 03:51:41 PM »
Ken, your graft looks good. I think it will survive. Have you tried grafting any scions from the purchased yangmei plants (An Hai, Bi Qui, etc) to the California and had success ?

Yes I did, but all of them failed. Big difference between fresh scions from Shane and the scions from the imported plants. For the fresh scions, each grafted pushed out some buds, none from the imported ones.

Had I used side veneer and kept the trees alive, I think I would've had better successes on the fresh scions.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 14, 2021, 04:02:47 PM »
Yes, I agree. When my small buds/branches grows more on the An Hai, I will try to micrograft to the Californica for one last try before I give up on it since I have 5 rootstock plants. Yes, I got the same results as you, but I left all the new shoots/buds on the rootstock so when my grafted branch died, I was able to cut off just the branch before it killed the entire plant.

I purchased a few seedling grown yangmei so I will graft onto those later when the plant grows out more next year. It may be the best bet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk